Paulonto

LONDON INTERVIEW REVIEW (DCF)

4 posts in this topic

Hi all !!!!! :D

So I have just been to my interview in the London Embassy this morning, and since this forum really helped me, all the way down to the last day, I thought I too would give you a little review of what I experienced there today, because since this is the very last step upon which all are culminating, it can be rather nerve racking.

Previous reviews helped me.

My appointment was at 10:30am, and I was told to arrive 30 mns earlier. 

I actually arrived earlier than that and it turned out to be a good idea. Here's why:

When you arrive at the Embassy's building, walking the little serpentine road to the left, alongside the created large pond, you quickly arrive at a little queue of about 30-40 people, and it took around 15 mns to reach the little red tent-like kiosk clearly marked VISA, at the end of the queue. I reached it at 10:00 and they let me through. That was 30mns before my appointed time. Allow therefore queuing time.

They will ask for 3 things: 1-appointment letter, 2- the DS260 sheet (DCF US flag header paper or whatever online application cofirmation) and 3- of course the passport.

Then, through the door, I made my way through an airport-like security control room (belt off etc - incl E-Cigarette ok).

Pass that room, I made my way left toward the actual building where I reached another small queue. There, there was a young woman, casually drinking her cup of bought coffee, calling out late arrivers, those who had an appointment earlier than mine and were running late. They also called for those waiting for immigration (which I didn't respond to because at that point I innocently thought that we ALL were there for that reason :) - silly huh?). Anyway, I followed the small queue, and once inside, we all waited for our time to arrive. Whilst waiting, again they called for late arrivers (there was one that was 1 hour late and seemed quite casual about it) and ALSO again those waiting for immigration. At this point, a family took the call for immigration so I followed them just in case.... I had nothing to loose, and was right. The girls at the counter, eating cakes and drinking coffee (which casual behaviour actually reassured me), looked at the same 3 things and told me where to go (up level 1 turn left twice) and stuck a label on my papers telling me the same thing plus what counter I should be hanging around by.

Up from the lift, I arrived at a waiting room. Ikea white and light stone grey is the theme, it is peaceful, well air conditioned and very clean. It's basically centered by bust-height dividers, to which, rows of 5 or six comfortable fabric chairs are attached. There's about 15 dividers at which end of half of them is a screen silently displaying numbers (mine was on my sticker). The elevator is on stand-up booths (18 of them in line), opposite are the large windows, and soft rows of chairs go from boths to window with plenty of room to walk around.

I was Immigration, so my number started with an "i", not an "N", and I had to turn left twice, so I plodded along to the left end of the room and turn left again, and found myself in a room, miniature to the first, with only 5 booths. I waited about 15mns, and my turn came.

There, and very nonchalant, polite and accurate English gentleman (Style shop-keeper of the Big Bang Theory) greeted me and helped me.

He was very friendly and made me at ease straight away (thus far I was very nervous)......very.

He asked me for my marriage certificate and my police reports, and asked if I had their photocopies, which I didn't but he kindly offered to copy them for me.... I remember now to read I should photocopy all the requested docs but thought it was nonsense :D. It turned out that they don't keep anything original but only the sponsor's papers, which he asked me also, with my photos and passport. We chatted extremely casually, feeling more like a little chitchat because he was interested. He never really looked at my papers but was more interested in filing them properly (kind of paper gatherer who's curious what sort of people come into this building). He took my digital prints, gave me my chest x-ray CD, thanked me and asked me to go to next booth now to pay, which I did. All and all about 15mns of chilled out chat with a nice guy who took my forms and filed them.

Next I waited around 10mns in the same room and was called to another stand-up booth, where an american young lady greeted and helped me.

She was very pleasant and relax. By then I was feeling relaxed anyway because the whole thing had so far been casual.

She asked me about my wife, how long I was married and where she is now, if I know the family.... very casually and relaxed.

She asked me to raise my right hand and swear that I've been truthful with everything, and then said that there's no problem, that they'll see my visa through. I had to hear the word "approved" so I asked her and she said "Yes!" :) 

ShooK hand (as if) and departed this lovely experience happy!

I need to say, the whole thing was really fine... lovely day. I wasn't sure what dress code I should adopt, but nearly everyone was dressed casually, some women with nice dresses, some men with nice shirt, only one or two with a tie on, but nearly everyone was dressed like if they were going to the park with the family. I'd say smart casual is good. I don't think they like it toooo formal there, they just like clean and fresh. 

If you bring a lot of paperwork, it's ok, as long as they have what they asked for online, they're happy, the rest is for you to carry, that's all, and it's better for your peace of mind to have more than you need, hey....why not!!! :)

The building is not as impressive as the previous one, with the huge overlooking eage, which looked like a impressive fortress of camera and guards. This one is not decorated but only with some discreet sculptured walls and is aesthetically relaxing in it's simplicity. 

I hope this helped folks! I know I was anxious the night before and I read all I could about Embassy reviews so Although this is a long one, I know it'll help someone.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clock:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Applying for IR1 through DCF London.

===============================

12/22/2017 Form i-130 posted!

DELAY: CHRISTMAS

12/28/2017 Notice of Receipt

DELAY: NEW YEAR

03/14/2018 Request For Evidence

03/28/2018 USCIS received Docs

DELAY: EASTER

04/17/2018 Petition I-130 Approved!

DELAY: SPONSOR CHANGE

05/10/2018 DS-260 Completed

07/16/2018 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/18/2018 Visa is being printed

07/23/2018 all posted and in my hand!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Thank you for the detailed experience and congrats on your next step onto US soil as an LPR!!!!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Thanks to both of you!

Wow @Sunnyland..... you've done a FEW of them!!!!!!!!!

:clock:

Applying for IR1 through DCF London.

===============================

12/22/2017 Form i-130 posted!

DELAY: CHRISTMAS

12/28/2017 Notice of Receipt

DELAY: NEW YEAR

03/14/2018 Request For Evidence

03/28/2018 USCIS received Docs

DELAY: EASTER

04/17/2018 Petition I-130 Approved!

DELAY: SPONSOR CHANGE

05/10/2018 DS-260 Completed

07/16/2018 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/18/2018 Visa is being printed

07/23/2018 all posted and in my hand!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.