WeGuyGal

Anyone travel International after name change?

13 posts in this topic

We are in the i751 process. We got the green card in in her maiden name about 2 years ago.  Fast forward to now.. we did a legal name change. Got a new passport with the new name, the i751 extension letter has the new name as well. But the green card has the previous name. 

Interested to hear anyone's travel experience if the green card is in a different name than the extn letter and/or the passport. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

My Dutch passport will always be in my maiden name, all my other US documents (Green card, SSN, Driver license) are in my husband last name. I traveled in 2015 to my home country and I didn't had any trouble coming back, I had my marriage certificate with me just in case they asked for it. 

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

They printed my son's GC with the last letter missing from his middle name. When we traveled back to my birth country for summer vacation last year, the officer looked at both GC and passport and we did not have any issues.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

11 hours ago, AnGeLxX said:

My Dutch passport will always be in my maiden name, all my other US documents (Green card, SSN, Driver license) are in my husband last name. I traveled in 2015 to my home country and I didn't had any trouble coming back, I had my marriage certificate with me just in case they asked for it. 

Always?

Once you have a changed name, should any new Dutch passport not match your name at that point in time in the future? 

I-751 journey

11 hours ago, Amadia said:

They printed my son's GC with the last letter missing from his middle name. When we traveled back to my birth country for summer vacation last year, the officer looked at both GC and passport and we did not have any issues.

So.. no issues boarding the flight back in your home country? And no issues entering the US as well with the missing letter on the GC? 

I-751 journey

6 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

So.. no issues boarding the flight back in your home country? And no issues entering the US as well with the missing letter on the GC? 

In my home country, they used the passport and looked at the GC for proof that we actually live in the US and was just visiting Trinidad...lol! When I got back to Florida, the officer took the GC a total of 3 times along with the passport and looked at it back and front to make sure that the information was accurate. She even smiled and apologized for having us wait at her cubicle for so long as she stated that this is not the first time that a resident GC is printed with letters missing since there is a character limit so they are aware of names missing letters at the end. They just need to do their part in ensuring that it is an actual misprint and not a fake GC.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Ok, thank you!

Hopefully we won't encounter any issues. Of course we'll keep the name change documentation with us when we travel overseas. 

I-751 journey

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

I had somewhat the reversed issue. All my US documents (GC, SSN, DL) have my married name, but my chilean passport will always be under my maiden name. I didn't have trouble entering/leaving the country while going through customs, BUT I DID HAVE ONE PROBLEM with the airline. The rule is that the name on the flight ticket must match the document you are using to travel. So, if you are going abroad, the document you are using is a passport: make sure the ticket is booked under the passport name. If you fly domestic and use your driver license, make sure it matches the license.. etc. They actually made a big fuzz and kinda scared me, and they told me that having a passport name not match the ticket/green card was a big deal and that I could have problems. I never did, except for them, but I now I will fly with my marriage license just in case when I use my passport. Eventually the airline changed my name on the ticket to my maiden name for free (costs $200 if you buy the ticket through Expedia or similar websites) so that it would match my passport.

I asked other women from my country who have been married if they had experienced this, and had various responses. Some said that US Customs held them and gave them a hard time, but eventually let them go.. Others said that they had to show the marriage license, others said they never had an issue.

38 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Always?

Once you have a changed name, should any new Dutch passport not match your name at that point in time in the future? 

Nope, because the name change is not legal in the Netherlands. Somebody on the forum mailed the dutch consulate and they answered with this: The passport of a Dutch lady would always come in the maiden name, and if requested, the name of the spouse would then be added as a separate line under the name saying “wife/husband of….” .,

Even now I am still known as  my name + maiden name in my home country not my married name. I have had my name changed to my husband last name in 2014, I never had any problems with traveling as long as I have my marriage certificate with me to show them I am married and have that name. I always need to book tickets in my maiden name because my passport is in my maiden name and that will never change. 

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

29 minutes ago, AnGeLxX said:

Nope, because the name change is not legal in the Netherlands. Somebody on the forum mailed the dutch consulate and they answered with this: The passport of a Dutch lady would always come in the maiden name, and if requested, the name of the spouse would then be added as a separate line under the name saying “wife/husband of….” .,

Even now I am still known as  my name + maiden name in my home country not my married name. I have had my name changed to my husband last name in 2014, I never had any problems with traveling as long as I have my marriage certificate with me to show them I am married and have that name. I always need to book tickets in my maiden name because my passport is in my maiden name and that will never change. 

Ah ok. Never knew Dutch law :)

I-751 journey

46 minutes ago, pantonia said:

I had somewhat the reversed issue. All my US documents (GC, SSN, DL) have my married name, but my chilean passport will always be under my maiden name. I didn't have trouble entering/leaving the country while going through customs, BUT I DID HAVE ONE PROBLEM with the airline. The rule is that the name on the flight ticket must match the document you are using to travel. So, if you are going abroad, the document you are using is a passport: make sure the ticket is booked under the passport name. If you fly domestic and use your driver license, make sure it matches the license.. etc. They actually made a big fuzz and kinda scared me, and they told me that having a passport name not match the ticket/green card was a big deal and that I could have problems. I never did, except for them, but I now I will fly with my marriage license just in case when I use my passport. Eventually the airline changed my name on the ticket to my maiden name for free (costs $200 if you buy the ticket through Expedia or similar websites) so that it would match my passport.

I asked other women from my country who have been married if they had experienced this, and had various responses. Some said that US Customs held them and gave them a hard time, but eventually let them go.. Others said that they had to show the marriage license, others said they never had an issue.

Now that I've heard.. name on the ticket should match the identification document. 

When we next travel overseas, we will get the ticket to match the passport; no worries there. The extension letter too matches the passport (so do the DL/SSN) but the expired GC would still be the old name and that's what we're concerned about.. the mismatch could give an inexperienced overseas airport check-in agent or an immigration officer pause. 

I-751 journey

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
20 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Now that I've heard.. name on the ticket should match the identification document. 

When we next travel overseas, we will get the ticket to match the passport; no worries there. The extension letter too matches the passport (so do the DL/SSN) but the expired GC would still be the old name and that's what we're concerned about.. the mismatch could give an inexperienced overseas airport check-in agent or an immigration officer pause. 

I think you will be fine. Carry your marriage license maybe in abundance of caution, but I don't think you'll have a problem since everything else has the new name and so does the extension letter.

Good advice. Thank you!

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.