SadGirlneedshelp

Switching to Wavier After the Divorce

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

I am totally new here, so apologize if this question has been asked by others before.

I have never thought of this day in my life. But here I am. My ex-husband (USC) and I met in our grad school and got married soon after in 06/2015. We were happily married and applied for ROC jointly in 11/2017. This January he attended a conference and met another girl from the east coast who started to seduce him by all means (yes by all means) knowing he was happily married, so that she could use him to get herself a decent job next year. A month after he came back from the conference, he told me he wanted to move to Boston (for the convenience of that girl) to work ( I declined job offers from other states to stay in Minnesota after my graduation to wait for him to finish his school). In late Feb, the girl from the east coast flew to his work place to visit him. After that he told me we were never in love before, that his life was in pain with me, and demanded a separation and divorce. I was devastated and tried hard to save my marriage. But he refused to do so. So I am going to file for divorce (yes I am the one who does it because he is a lazy bones and I have to handle everything). Looking back at our marriage, I realized I was quite abused emotionally. He lied to me about his family and his relationship with his ex-girlfriend ( I found these out right before we split up). He consciously or sub-consciously kept me away from my friends, and now he uses this as an excuse claiming I do not know how to socialize with people, and that I am sick, twisted and needy. Even today, he still refused to admit his relationship with this other girl is romantic.

Anyway, am going to file with a divorce lawyer on Monday. I do not plan to claim he is emotionally abusive on the divorce decree for the sake of an easy and quick divorce since he is moving next month. I am preparing to send the CSC a letter along with the divorce decree to convert the joint filing of ROC to a waiver.

My question is: do I also need to send a lot of other information including tax files for the last year, pictures of joint credit cards, bank statements, and texts between us since we met ( I did not send all these materials since I thought our marriage is real and we were happily married, and was never afraid of any RFE or interviews)? Should I also write a story about how we met and how the relationship ended with detailed evidence (pictures and texts) embedded? This story may be a very long one if I include all the screenshots and pictures. Or do I just send the decree and a letter for the waiver and wait for the RFE? Should I also claim an emotional abuse? Does my therapist's words on this matter count ( I have been visiting a therapist for the initial purpose of saving my marriage. But the therapist concluded in the end that he may have mental issues and is quite mentally abusive). I asked him to visit the therapist with me to save the marriage but he refused so I was the only one who was seeing the therapist.

I appreciate your answers a lot!

Edited by SadGirlneedshelp

54 minutes ago, SadGirlneedshelp said:

My question is: do I also need to send a lot of other information including tax files for the last year, pictures of joint credit cards, bank statements, and texts between us since we met ( I did not send all these materials since I thought our marriage is real and we were happily married, and was never afraid of any RFE or interviews)?

You did not send any evidence of a bonafide marriage? I really hope you have those type of documents so you can show it at the interview.

Timeline
1 minute ago, EmmNM said:

I'm sorry for everything you went through. Sadly, I do not have the answer to a lot of your questions. I hope someone else in the community can better assist you. All I can say is gather as much evidence as possible to prove the marriage was entered with good intent.

Thanks anyway for the kind words.

Timeline
1 minute ago, little immigrant said:

You did not send any evidence of a bonafide marriage? I really hope you have those type of documents so you can show it at the interview.

Of course I did send some evidence. I only sent part of the bank statements, not all since there are too many! And some pictures. I forgot to send all the text messages and emails between us. I also sent our car insurance, my life insurance from the employer with him being the 1st beneficiary, tax files for the first 2 years, two affidavits from his family members, and some flight tickets and boarding passes from the trip back to China. Unfortunately, we don't have any utility bills or rent since we were living in his Dad's house.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:48 PM, SadGirlneedshelp said:

Of course I did send some evidence. I only sent part of the bank statements, not all since there are too many! And some pictures. I forgot to send all the text messages and emails between us. I also sent our car insurance, my life insurance from the employer with him being the 1st beneficiary, tax files for the first 2 years, two affidavits from his family members, and some flight tickets and boarding passes from the trip back to China. Unfortunately, we don't have any utility bills or rent since we were living in his Dad's house.

I think this is good evidence that you sent already! I would send the Divorce decree, a letter telling them your story, and updated tax and bank statements (just from the date you sent your ROC to now) that is what I send when I asked to change my ROC from joint to waiver. 

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Timeline
46 minutes ago, SadStories said:

I think this is good evidence that you sent already! I would send the Divorce decree, a letter telling them your story, and updated tax and bank statements (just from the date you sent your ROC to now) that is what I send when I asked to change my ROC from joint to waiver. 

Hi SadStories! I am so happy for your approval and I see hope in my case from yours! Thanks for the advice.

PS: our names are even similar :P

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi all,

I already submitted my updates along with the divorce decree to the USCIS to switch my jointly filed i-751 to a waiver. But I haven't heard anything from them. What do I expect next? I do not see any updates on myUSCIS either. Will I eventually receive a confirmation letter in my mail?

Thanks!

Hello,

When I send my paperwork with the update I did not hear anything back either. After 2 months I called and I talked to a tier two immigration officer who did a service request to make sure the new documents were placed with my file. Then a few weeks later I got a letter responding to the service request saying that my updated documents were placed with my file and were going to be reviewed with all my information.  

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Timeline
4 hours ago, SadStories said:

Hello,

When I send my paperwork with the update I did not hear anything back either. After 2 months I called and I talked to a tier two immigration officer who did a service request to make sure the new documents were placed with my file. Then a few weeks later I got a letter responding to the service request saying that my updated documents were placed with my file and were going to be reviewed with all my information.  

Thanks for the info! In your resubmitted file, did you include any newly filled form (e.g. refilling I-751)? Or did you just submit a letter saying you want a switch along with some other materials?

Thanks!

On 9/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, SadGirlneedshelp said:

Thanks for the info! In your resubmitted file, did you include any newly filled form (e.g. refilling I-751)? Or did you just submit a letter saying you want a switch along with some other materials?

Thanks!

Just the letter and the new documents. I did include a copy of the NOA 1 so that they could trace it to my file. 

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 9/5/2018 at 4:16 PM, SadStories said:

Just the letter and the new documents. I did include a copy of the NOA 1 so that they could trace it to my file. 

Did you wait until divorce was finalized before sending? My friend is in a similar situation, she sent in her joint I-751 in November and has just decided to divorce - not sure if she should let them know now that she is planning to divorce or wait until the divorce is finalized.

June 2012: Married

Sept 2012: Wife (USC) moved to UK

May 2014: Moved to us on CR1 from DCF in London

April 2016: Applied to remove conditions

May 31st 2016: Biometrics App

Nov 9th 2016: Received RFE

Jan 2017: Application Approved, GC Sent

April 2017: USCIS supply GC tracking, UPS say GC delivered Jan 2017, but was not received.

April 2017: Apply for replacement

May 2017: Replacement Biometrics

Jan 24th 2018: Replacement Received

Jan 25th 2018: Applied for Citizenship

Feb 22nd 2018: Biometrics

April 2nd 2018: Interview Scheduled for May 14th

May 14th 2018: Interview - passed

May 15th 2018: USCIS website updated to say approved

May 16th 2018: Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 23rd

Timeline
1 hour ago, BrianK said:

Did you wait until divorce was finalized before sending? My friend is in a similar situation, she sent in her joint I-751 in November and has just decided to divorce - not sure if she should let them know now that she is planning to divorce or wait until the divorce is finalized.

Yes. I sent them the final decree.

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Hi all,

Just wanted to update my case here. I just got my card approved and my name updated! Yay finally don't have to use my cheating ex-husband's disgusting name on official documents anymore (except for my past academic publications - I have to explain it to people all the time)!!!

No RFE no interview. I hope everyone got their case approved smoothly as well!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What great news.  Thanks for returning with the happy update.  You must feel great, and for good reason! :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.