jagsfl

Submitting K1 Today. Some Questions...

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone I'm about to send in my K-1 Visa application for my Indonesian fiance today, and I have some questions about the process, what to expect etc. If you could help answer any I'd really appreciate it big time.. Thanks!

1. I added everything inside the "Assembling The I-129F Package: Checklist" here at http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide. I am 99% sure I did everything right, however, if I am missing anything in there will I have to resubmit a whole new package, or could I just send them the one thing that they need? I've thought about hiring one of those consultants who help with this process, but I believe I've got it all.... If I'm missing something I can just send that one thing in? 

2. How long does it take to hear back from them with my application approved and moving on to the next step? How do they contact me.... by phone? Email? Since I'm currently living out in South East Asia with her, I don't always have the best reception to receive calls, so I really hope that it's e-mail.

3. When is my face to face interview bound to happen? (How many weeks/months after sending the application)?

4. When will her interview be in Indonesia? I believe this is the last step correct? So that's roughly 5 or 6 months from when they receive my application?

5. When do they ask to see my tax documents? Is this during my face-to-face interview?

6. Before I send this thing in one last question I have is, would this whole process of her getting to the USA be easier if we got married in Indonesia first?

Thanks for anything you can chime in on. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions, any help you can give would really help my anxiety here with knowing what's going on and not having a head full of confusion that sucks.

Thanks!

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

7 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Hey everyone I'm about to send in my K-1 Visa application for my Indonesian fiance today, and I have some questions about the process, what to expect etc. If you could help answer any I'd really appreciate it big time.. Thanks!

1. I added everything inside the "Assembling The I-129F Package: Checklist" here at http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide. I am 99% sure I did everything right, however, if I am missing anything in there will I have to resubmit a whole new package, or could I just send them the one thing that they need? I've thought about hiring one of those consultants who help with this process, but I believe I've got it all.... If I'm missing something I can just send that one thing in? 

No. Don't send anything unless you're specifically asked for it. If they need anything they will let you know. 

7 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

2. How long does it take to hear back from them with my application approved and moving on to the next step? How do they contact me.... by phone? Email? Since I'm currently living out in South East Asia with her, I don't always have the best reception to receive calls, so I really hope that it's e-mail.

No one will call you. If you sign up for email updates, you'll get email.  But they mostly communicate through regular mail. 

Currently it takes about 10 months or more for approval. 

3. When is my face to face interview bound to happen? (How many weeks/months after sending the application)?

10 months. Maybe more, maybe little less. 

4. When will her interview be in Indonesia? I believe this is the last step correct? So that's roughly 5 or 6 months from when they receive my application?

Yes. The interview and medical happens in beneficiary country. 

5. When do they ask to see my tax documents? Is this during my face-to-face interview?

First of all. It's not your interview. It's your foreign fiance going to the interview. And yes. 

6. Before I send this thing in one last question I have is, would this whole process of her getting to the USA be easier if we got married in Indonesia first?

Not really. Do research and compare k1 and cr1 visa and decide. 

Thanks for anything you can chime in on. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions, any help you can give would really help my anxiety here with knowing what's going on and not having a head full of confusion that sucks.

Thanks!

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Thanks Roel,

When you say that they communicate through regular mail, is this just to tell me where we are in the process? Or is them wanting me to send more things?

Ok so, for everything to get approved it takes roughly 10 months. And I do not have an interview. That's good to know, but, I've seen a few times where I have to show them my taxes. When/where do I do that?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Reol's answers above are good so I won't re-visit those.  Having been thru the process also while living abroad with my Fiancee (at the time) I'll tell you that there may be some additional requirements that you'll need to be prepared to address come interview time in months from now.    Certainly regarding the validity of the relationship the fact that you are living with her in Indonesia should make that part relatively easy.  However,  you will need to prove that you are domiciled or intend to establish Domicile in the USA and prove that your income is from or will be from a US source unless you are using savings (which would require lots and lots) or you are retired and receiving retirement or some other type of structured payment that will follow you to the USA.   Even so you'll want to make sure you have ties or proof of intent to establish ties to the USA prior to the interview.   Things like you own a home in the USA or have a lease for an Apartment along with the income source should satisfy the embassy at interview time.  If you've missed anything critical in the application you'll get an RFE.  (request for Evidence) which would delay but not kill the process.  If you followed the guide step by step it's very very likely that you've done it all right.  Also in regards to the income and domicile questions I mentioned this too is unlikely to deny the K-1 but rather result in the Embassy asking for additional documents if necessary and a minor delay in AP processing.  In our case the embassy needed some additional proof from my US company but graciously told my now wife that she was essentially approved and they just needed those documents.. (that was in HK though and every embassy differs so your mileage may vary).  Good luck and God Bless 

Just now, jagsfl said:

Thanks Roel,

When you say that they communicate through regular mail, is this just to tell me where we are in the process? Or is them wanting me to send more things?

Both. Once you get a case number you can also track the case online. But their update system is something bit inaccurate.  

Just now, jagsfl said:

Ok so, for everything to get approved it takes roughly 10 months. And I do not have an interview. That's good to know, but, I've seen a few times where I have to show them my taxes. When/where do I do that?

I've seen people brining financial documents to the interview, some include it in the packet. 

Also if you're going k1 route it's a good idea to start researching AOS process and what you'll need for that. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

6 minutes ago, JE57 said:

Reol's answers above are good so I won't re-visit those.  Having been thru the process also while living abroad with my Fiancee (at the time) I'll tell you that there may be some additional requirements that you'll need to be prepared to address come interview time in months from now.    Certainly regarding the validity of the relationship the fact that you are living with her in Indonesia should make that part relatively easy.  However,  you will need to prove that you are domiciled or intend to establish Domicile in the USA and prove that your income is from or will be from a US source unless you are using savings (which would require lots and lots) or you are retired and receiving retirement or some other type of structured payment that will follow you to the USA.   Even so you'll want to make sure you have ties or proof of intent to establish ties to the USA prior to the interview.   Things like you own a home in the USA or have a lease for an Apartment along with the income source should satisfy the embassy at interview time.  If you've missed anything critical in the application you'll get an RFE.  (request for Evidence) which would delay but not kill the process.  If you followed the guide step by step it's very very likely that you've done it all right.  Also in regards to the income and domicile questions I mentioned this too is unlikely to deny the K-1 but rather result in the Embassy asking for additional documents if necessary and a minor delay in AP processing.  In our case the embassy needed some additional proof from my US company but graciously told my now wife that she was essentially approved and they just needed those documents.. (that was in HK though and every embassy differs so your mileage may vary).  Good luck and God Bless 

Thanks JE57.  I'm still a bit confused as to when my interview is. Joel states that my fiance will only have the interview, not me. I think there is misunderstanding... I run my businesses online which is eCommerce and consulting. My taxes from last year reflect around 50k in profit income so I believe things should work out well in terms of my income standings (and this years will be more which I will be able to show at an interview when that time comes next year).. since it's all US based I think all if okay. I do not currently have a place of my own in the states, I essentially sold everything but a few essentials (in which I left at my moms garage, and her house I essentially call as my address now) and left traveling. I have not had a lease on a home since January 2017. I've been traveling since March 2017. I hope what I give them would satisfy them...

11 minutes ago, Roel said:

Both. Once you get a case number you can also track the case online. But their update system is something bit inaccurate.  

I've seen people brining financial documents to the interview, some include it in the packet. 

Also if you're going k1 route it's a good idea to start researching AOS process and what you'll need for that. 

Okay, that's good I can track it online even if it's not entirely accurate.

You mentioned earlier how the interview is for my fiance, not me... but when do I actually show my tax documents?

Awesome - I will look into AOS process too. Thanks!!

You don't show anything and you're not the one being interview. Your fiance brings all the documents to her interview. 

And seriously research AOS since it's part of k1 process. Without that your fiance /wife will not be allowed to work, travel and won't have legal presence in the US. AOS itself takes over a year to approve. And hope your fiance is ok with not being able to work for A while until she's allowed. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

5 minutes ago, Roel said:

You don't show anything and you're not the one being interview. Your fiance brings all the documents to her interview. 

And seriously research AOS since it's part of k1 process. Without that your fiance /wife will not be allowed to work, travel and won't have legal presence in the US. AOS itself takes over a year to approve. And hope your fiance is ok with not being able to work for A while until she's allowed. 

Ok so I never show proof of income ever. Got it. I've read over and over that I have to.

I will look into AOS right now and preparing for that. I imagine that there is nothing I can physically do for the AOS process though until after we marry in the US?  She's fine with not having to work.

After the AOS is approved, is that when she will be able to leave the US to go visit family etc?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent my now wife off to her interview at the consulate with all the financial documents I thought she would need.  Wasn't quite enough so she had to submit a few more things before they processed her visa.  You will not be interviewed at any time during the K-1 process.   I think one of the things that Roel may be suggesting (although she's not said so specifically) is that maybe since you are already in Indonesia that Marriage and filing for a spousal visa might be a better option for you.  It's cheaper, your wife gets a greencard essentially on entry to the USA and can work and travel outside the USA on the day she enters the country.   The chances of denial are not as high either and apparently they are taking almost the same amount of time to process.   And it avoids the whole hassle of AOS

-

You do need to provide proofs of income and taxes. Just give it to your fiance when she'll go to the interview... 

And no. AOS process needs to be started after you get married. She cannot leave US until either her green card gets approved (about a year) or she receive advance parole card. Which usually takes 3 to 6 months into the AOS process. 

If she leaves without that, she will not be allowed to come back to the US. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

18 hours ago, Roel said:

You do need to provide proofs of income and taxes. Just give it to your fiance when she'll go to the interview... 

And no. AOS process needs to be started after you get married. She cannot leave US until either her green card gets approved (about a year) or she receive advance parole card. Which usually takes 3 to 6 months into the AOS process. 

If she leaves without that, she will not be allowed to come back to the US. 

Oh ok gotcha! Awesome thanks. After doing some more research it really does seem like the spouse visa is the "easier" way  around all of this. She would be able to get a drivers license pretty much right away, and would be able to leave the US a Lot sooner than with a fiance visa. We are quite possibly going to go the spouse visa CR1 route instead.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.