Sfetty and Wiz

Vaccinations needed

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have been searching through these forums, getting a lot of information on what's required in the USA for vaccines. I understand you don't have to have them to enter the USA. But that it will cost a lot more over here in America compared with getting them done in the UK. I have spent the last two hours searching on here and on the CDC website. I'm exhausted trying to find out the correct information for what my fiance will need as far as her vaccines before she gets her medical examination. I know from what I've been reading that some are age appropriate, some are seasonal like the flue vaccine. But the Hep B vaccine has me confused. I need a answer that's correct. It appears that she doesn't need it for her age??? I know when I got my Hep B shot for my job, year's ago, that it was a series of 3 shots. That would take month's to get done. So that's why I'm confused. Will she need it in the USA or not?

What exactly does she need before she gets here, that she can take care of there? For her AOS to go forward.

Screenshot_20180702-155239~01.png

Edited by Spetty&Wiz

The doctor will recommend specific shots for her and administer those that are necessary given her background, etc. I would wait until the appointment.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Spetty&Wiz said:

I have been searching through these forums, getting a lot of information on what's required in the USA for vaccines. I understand you don't have to have them to enter the USA. But that it will cost a lot more over here in America compared with getting them done in the UK. I have spent the last two hours searching on here and on the CDC website. I'm exhausted trying to find out the correct information for what my fiance will need as far as her vaccines before she gets her medical examination. I know from what I've been reading that some are age appropriate, some are seasonal like the flue vaccine. But the Hep B vaccine has me confused. I need a answer that's correct. It appears that she doesn't need it for her age??? I know when I got my Hep B shot for my job, year's ago, that it was a series of 3 shots. That would take month's to get done. So that's why I'm confused. Will she need it in the USA or not?

What exactly does she need before she gets here, that she can take care of there? For her AOS to go forward.

Screenshot_20180702-155239~01.png

I lost my immunization record, so when I went for my medical exam they just need me to re-do these two vaccines:

1) Tdap (had this vaccine during the medical check)

2) MMR (they called me two days later after the medical check and said my blood test shows my Measles immunity level is not high enough and asked me to get the MMR vaccine)

P.S. The nurse recommend me go to healthcare instead of a clinic cos the price is cheaper. I went to a healthcare it just cost $21. (I checked Walgreens they need $100 for that!! crazy!)

On my I-693 there's a report mentioned "Tests Ordered", and the following names included (Measles, Mumps, Rubella Immune (MMRG.LC), Chlamydia/Gonococcus, NAA (APTIMAGC.LC), Varicella Z oster AB IgG (VARICE.AB.IG.LC)

I think maybe those are the vaccine they required (just guessing)

Edited by PollyC
  • Feb 17 2018 - Arrived USA with B2-Tourist Visa
  • Apr 01 2018 - US Citizen Boyfriend proposed
  • Apr 18 2018 - Got Married in Montana, USA
  • May 15 2018 - Mailed out USCIS applications (I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox
  • (Day 1) May 16 2018 - Mail arrived Chicago Lockbox (confirmed by USPS) 
  • (Day 19) Jun 04 2018 - Received email & SMS notification - case received (All money orders being cashed on this day)
  • (Day 24) Jun 09 2018 - Received all receipts (NOA) from USCIS, also the Biometrics Appointment letter (Appointment date: Jun 18) 
  • (Day 33) Jun 18 2018 - Arrived Helena ASC at 9.15am (Appointment at 10am), finished at 9.35am (Yea it was super quick!)
  • (Day 35) Jun 20 2018 - Received SMS & Email notification request for evidence for my I-485
  • (Day 40) Jun 25 2018 - Courtesy letter for I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) received
  • (Day 61) Jul 16 2018 - Case status of I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
  • (Day 64) Jul 19 2018 -  Case status of I-485 changed to "Interview Was Scheduled"
  • (Day 71) Jul 26 2018 - Interview notice received (Interview scheduled on Aug 23 - 9.50AM)
  • (Day 99) Aug 23 2018 - Interview approved on the spot! Yay! 🎉  I-485 status changed to “New Card Is Being Produced”,
  • (Day 100) Aug 24 2018 - I-131 & I-765 status changed to “Case Closed Benefit Received By Other Means”
  • (Day 107) Aug 31 2018 - I-485 status changed to “Card Was Mailed To Me”
  • (Day 111) Sep 04 2018 - I-485 status changed "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"
  • (Day 113) Sep 06 2018 - Conditional Green Card Received!
  • May 23 2020 - Mailed out I-751
  • May 29 2020 - Received email & SMS notification - case received
  • June 1 2020 - Money order being cashed
  • July 15 2020 - status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” 
  • Feb 16 2021 - Status changed to “New Card is being Produce”
  • Feb 19 2021 - Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • Feb 24 2021 - New card received in the mail!
  • Feb 24 2023 - Filed N-400 online
  • Mar 11 2023 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter in mail (Appointment date: Mar 20)
  • Mar 20 2023 - Case status changed to "Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS"
  • Apr 04 2023 - Received online update "Interview Was Scheduled" (May 23)
  • May 23 2023 - Interview Passed on the spot
  • Oct 26 2023 - Status changed to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (on Nov 9th)

http://pa1.narvii.com/5800/c9829514dbe031b3b25782c40cae78c189bfc3ab_00.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

My spouse was unable to provide his immunization records as well. So, based on his blood test results, the doctor told him which shots he needed to take. The their office gave him the TDAP (it was included in the exam fee) and he got the combo HEP A&B at the local county health department. As for cost, I called every civil surgeon on list for our area and asked what the exam fee would be and what does it cover. 

I suggest you wait until the doctor recommends the shots but allow yourself plenty of to start the exam process. It took 30 days and at least four visits before we received the sealed envelope.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa Timeline

Service Center: Nebraska Service Center

I-130 Sent via USPS: 07/08/2016

Received at Chicago Lockbox: 07/11/2016

I-130 NOA1: 07/13/2016

I-130 RFE:  None

I-130 Approved: 04/11/2017

NVC Received: 04/19/2017

Received DS-261/AOS Bill: 05/10/2017

US POE: Bahamas

I-485 Sent: 05/22/2017 Received: 05/23/2017

I-485 NOA1: 05/25/2017

Biometrics Appt.: 06/12/2017

I-485 Interview: 06/28/2018

I-485 Approved:

Green Card Received: 

I-864 Sent: 05/22/2017 Received: 05/23/2017

I-765 Sent: 05/22/2017  Received: 05/23/2017

I-765 NOA1: 05/25/2017

Biometrics Appt.: 06/12/2017

I-765 Approved: 09/21/2017

EAD Card Received: 10/16/2017

I-131 Sent:

I-131 NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, Spetty&Wiz said:

What exactly does she need before she gets here, that she can take care of there? For her AOSto go forward.

This information is correct. 

Go to your NHS doctor and get the immunizations you will need for Adjustment of Status. You can get a K1 visa without having any shots, but you will need them before AOS. It’s extremely wise to take care of it before getting to the US so you can avoid civil surgeon hassles and $$$.  It's not the price of the shots in the US as much as paying another doctor to sign off. Many will want you to pay for another full medical exam which a K1 does not need.

Many NHS doctors will do shots for free, but they are not obligated to do so for immigration purposes. Get the shots documented by your doctor to take to your visa medical exam. If your doctor should say you don’t need something on this list, remember you have to go by US rules and that differs from UK standards.  Get the shots at Boots or at the visa exam. Just do it before the medical and get signed off by the visa doctor. 

Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted for AOS also. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella. It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam. no written proof needed.
  • Influenza – Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31, for all ages over 6 months. 

No you do not have to finish the whole series of anything if it requires you to wait out intervals. If on the date of your exam, it is too soon to have another dose, you are signed off with the waiver "insufficient time interval". You never get the rest of the series unless you want to.

No you do not need proof of baby shots that are not on the adult list. No you do not have to catch up on childhood shots. Forget them. Focus only on the four adult shots listed above because the rest are waived as "not age appropriate".

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks. My understanding is if you didn't get the shots needed or missed from your GP you can still get them at Knightsbridge. Is that correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Spetty&Wiz said:

Thanks. My understanding is if you didn't get the shots needed or missed from your GP you can still get them at Knightsbridge. Is that correct?

Yeah, but MMR is 2 doses, with the 2nd dose being 4 weeks later. If MMR isn't on her record, nurse at your surgery should just do it.

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Spetty&Wiz said:

Depending on who you see there, she may have to insist she wants to pay for the shots. Some there at Knightsbridge will say...just go get your shots at your GP and use that for your AOS. They do not understand AOS. They act like the GP note can be sent to USCIS and all is fine. No it does not work like that. USCIS only accepts official forms signed off by approved Panel Physicians (abroad) or Civil Surgeons (US). So that shot given at the GP later will require seeing another doctor in the US who may want $300 and a new medical exam...all the blood work and a TB skin test. Tell Knightsbridge you want the shots and do not want to go back to the GP. Their price list is on their website. 

Since it's not flu season and most everybody in the UK has had Chickenpox (varicella waiver) she needs to be up to date on only two shots. MMR and tetanus/diphtheria/Pertussis. Many in the UK got a tetanus/diphtheria/petussis+polio as a child. Polio is not required, but the 4 combo shot still counts for the  other diseases. If 10 years have passed, typically a tetanus/diphtheria (Td) is given because the tetanus component needs renewal after 10 years. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.