Search4Truth

Waiver for active TB for IR1 when disabled US spouse has to return to US for medical treatment.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/30/2018 at 10:17 AM, geowrian said:

The CDC only says "a few weeks", but does not put a number on it. There is evidence that within 2 weeks of treatment that the diseases is no longer contagious, but that is not an official guideline by the CDC.

Would you want to be the person that makes the call if it's safe for others on a plane, then others in the US? I wouldn't. They will act based on an abundance of caution.

The other issue is DOT: a very serious issue with TB, especially among those from the Philippines, is that they start TB treatment, feel better after a few weeks, then stop because they don't think it's needed anymore as any symptoms have stopped. This not only doesn't fix the issue, but it puts everybody at serious risk of a drug-resistant strain of TB emerging. As such, they require DOT at SLEC.

How does one ensure that an intending immigrant will continue treatment once in the US and they have no signs of TB? That's another serious risk that I would not want to be a party to.

His wife I think has LTB infection, you have no symptoms and if treated you don't necessarily feel better but but it gets rid of the TB before it becomes active. There are much faster treatments available but not in the Philippines, so she will do the 6 months and then retest. I also doubt they will just let her take a couple weeks and go, but he won't know util he gets a response back from the embassy if it can be expedited. 

I think of Fibromyalgia as a condition. Not a sickness. Before taking vitamin C I was often getting sick with meningitis, which would often relapse. As well as influenza. I don't get these anymore. Neither does my family. Neither do I have problems with shingles. But the vitamin C has had no effect on the FM. If it were only that simple. It is a complicated and debilitating condition. I do however have other symptoms. 

Fibromyalgia

Fast Facts:

* Fibromyalgia affects two - four percent of people, women more often than men.
* Fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune or inflammation based illness, but research suggests the nervous system is involved.
* Doctors diagnose fibromyalgia based on all the patient’s relevant symptoms (what you feel), no longer just on the number of tender places during an examination. 
* There is no test to detect this disease, but you may need lab tests or X-rays to rule out other health problems.
* Though there is no cure, medications can reduce symptoms in some patients.
* Patients also may feel better with proper self-care, such as exercise and getting enough sleep.

Fibromyalgia is a common neurologic health problem that causes widespread pain and tenderness (sensitivity to touch). The pain and tenderness tend to come and go, and move about the body. Most often, people with this chronic (long-term) illness are fatigued (very tired) and have sleep problems. The diagnosis can be made with a careful examination.

Fibromyalgia is most common in women, though it can occur in men. It most often starts in middle adulthood, but can occur in the teen years and in old age. You are at higher risk for fibromyalgia if you have a rheumatic disease (health problem that affects the joints, muscles and bones). These include osteoarthritis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis.

https://www.rheumatology.org

Recap of the issues:

Contracted Fibromyalgia rescuing 4 people from the foul flood waters in 2005 in New Orleans.

Deemed disabled by doctors and the government.

Compelled to stay in the Philippines during a visit when OTC contraception failed and resulted in a pregnancy. 2 pregnancies before realizing and correcting the problem.

Became stranded in the Philippines when a close family member reneged on the AOS for my wife so they could attempt to steal my house.

In the process of acquiring a visa, my wife tested positive on the TB culture but negative of the 3 consecutive smears. She is symptomless. This is the least contagious form of TB.

Further research at the CDC website reveals that those with the minimum infection, indicated by the results of my wife's test, are rendered non-contagious in 7 days or less of treatment.

Whenever treatment is started and stopped there is the small chance, but with serious consequences, that the person could develop a multi-drug resistant TB (MDR TB) and become infectious again.

CDC says that commercial airlines represent little chance of transmitting infectious diseases. Due to filters, the cabin air recirculation system and input of fresh air. Exceeding the CDC's standard for safety for persons with infectious diseases. The wearing of a face mask by the infectious person reducing the risk further. Which can be monitored and enforced by aircraft crew.

If the treatment is not started and stopped then there is no risk in creating a MDR TB.

After 1 month of treatment another 3 consecutive smear tests are performed and then a culture. 2 months are required for the results of the culture. A negative result on all of them would prove that she is not contagious and can then travel to the US with me without being a risk to the public, according to the CDC.

The problem then becomes how can my wife, a college educated professional,  and I assure the government that she will continue the treatments when in the US. Avoiding the potentially serious danger of a relapse and becoming infectious with the very dangerous MDR TB.

Their are a lot of legal issues around forcing Americans to submit to treatments. Accept, when those Americans or LPR willing agree in writing to submit. Which then allows the government to impose treatments. 

To my mind, the safest and perhaps the most acceptable solution for getting my wife to accompany me back to the US ASAP is to start the treatment in the Philippines. Once a negative culture and 3 negative smears result, then travel to the US to resume prearranged treat there. It would result in only a 1 or 2 day lapse in treatment. Cutting a 7 month delay down to 3. One does not receive the results of the final test until the 7th month. Along with the packet for the interview. So I've read.

Alternatively, my wife could travel to the US before treatment is started wearing a surgical mask as stated by the CDC. To start treatment there. With no risk of becoming infectious with MDR TB.

Another option is to start treatment for 7 days as stated by the CDC to become non-contagious, then travel to the US wearing surgical mask on the flight. Then resume treatments immediately upon arrival in the US. 

It is the measure of a civilized culture and nation, how they treat their elderly, sickly and young. It is the measure of a culture in decline when their attitude is that of survival of the fittest. 

Thanks for the constructive criticism,

Al.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

DO NOT start TB treatment outside of SLEC!!   Unless you would like to add another year of waiting to the list.

Wife isn't traveling without a visa, visa isn't happening until SLEC releases the medical, medical isn't being release until ...   well you should get the idea.     

Screw the pooch and you will only add more delays ..

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I have decided that whatever the conclusion to my personal medical situation, I don't want it influencing anyone else's decision, to pursue a solution with the US Embassy, or not.

I have nothing more to say on this topic. 

Thanks to everyone for their constructive criticism.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.