10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question. Trying my best to navigate around on here. I've tried to find the answer to this question for about an hour now on here. So my question is this, my fiance when she gets to America and we're married, beings that she's a school teacher and will have many opportunities to travel back to London to visit family, how does she do that? Can she do that before getting her green card? Doe's she ever get her original Passport back from the UK after her adjusted status update? Or does she have to apply for a new United States Passport? I'm so confused because I thought she never has to give up her UK citizenship. Thank you very much in advance for the help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Curtisdean said:

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question. Trying my best to navigate around on here. I've tried to find the answer to this question for about an hour now on here. So my question is this, my fiance when she gets to America and we're married, beings that she's a school teacher and will have many opportunities to travel back to London to visit family, how does she do that? Can she do that before getting her green card? Doe's she ever get her original Passport back from the UK after her adjusted status update? Or does she have to apply for a new United States Passport? I'm so confused because I thought she never has to give up her UK citizenship. Thank you very much in advance for the help.

She retains her passport until she opts for us citizenship, which she never has to do.  

She cannot leave the USA after arrival, until you have married and have applied for adjustment of status along with advance parole.  Advance parole is her travel document and takes 4 to 5 months after she applies

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you so much for your answer!! I really appreciate it. Could you possibly tell me if she can be a "duel" citizen later on? And can I be as well?? Just don't know the answer to that. Also at what point does she get her original Passport back? I'm a little lost here. Sorry. I understand she's coming over on a "Visa". I'm stupid, sorry.

Timeline

Yes I understand about the "next"steps part. Have been aware of those things we/I need to do, when she gets here. I know we have to marry within 90 days. Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Curtisdean said:

Thank you so much for your answer!! I really appreciate it. Could you possibly tell me if she can be a "duel" citizen later on? And can I be as well?? Just don't know the answer to that. Also at what point does she get her original Passport back? I'm a little lost here. Sorry. I understand she's coming over on a "Visa". I'm stupid, sorry.

She gets her passport back immediately after they affix the Visa inside it.  She can become a US citizen at  any time after she is eligible or never.  You can become a dual citizen anytime after you become eligible for another citizenship.  Not sure what country you want to become a citizen of, however.  You need to check the naturalization requirements of that country

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Curtisdean said:

She interviews for a visa in London. They hold her UK passport until they get the paperwork finished and stick the visa in her passport. She will have it back in 7-10 days, delivered by courier.

She enters the US. You go to a social security office and apply for her SSN (in her maiden name because that's how she entered the US.)

Get married. Get certified mRriage certificate back. She can not leave the US, get a job or driver license yet.

Apply for the greencard (Adjustment of Status) along with application for work authorization (EAD) and travel authorization (AP). 

When EAD Approved she can work. AP allows her to leave the US and return. She travels as British. 

Greencard finally gets approved and mailed so she is a permanent resident on that day. It expires in two years.

She has to apply for a 10-year greencard before it expires.

In 3 years from her original greencard date, she can apply for US citizenship. When that is approved and she gets her naturalization certificate, she can apply for a US passport. She will have two passports...UK and US. I have both so I know this to be true. 

UK citizens can become dual citizens without any consequence to their UK citizenship. If it's something that interests the UK citizen, then apply as soon as you're eligible to do so.

However, becoming a citizen of the UK is quite a bit more complex. It would involve the UK citizen re-establishing themselves in the UK, making enough money to pass the financial burdens, requirements, and high fees, and petitioning to bring your spouse to the UK. After a lengthy multi-years process (which is not as straightforward as the US in fact) the foreign spouse living in the UK may be eligible to become a citizen (which in of itself is a more complex process than the US). In turn, the US foreign spouse would become a dual citizen as well.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.