Charmss

I-485: on campus jobs for previous employment?

10 posts in this topic

I couldn't really find threads specifically for this topic, so I decided to ask you guys.

I am an F-1 for with marriage-based AOS. I'm done with my documentations, I'm planning on sending everything else and then send I-693 as soon as I get it. I don't want to hold onto it and forget it at the interview. lol

1. Anyhow, while filing I-485, I see previous employment for 5 years. It's June, 2018 now. Do I need to include any employment since June of 2013? or anytime of the year for 2013? I worked couple hours a week until March, 2013, which is still 2013, but not exactly 5 years from now.

2. So, I had overlaps: I worked two jobs, one on campus, the other off campus. the on campus job is not on my I-20, because it is on campus. For both jobs, if any, would have been less than 20 hours a week, because it was contingent-based. I don't want to red-flag immigration officers. Should I not include on-campus job that is not found anywhere in I-20, visa, and application? (fyi I didn't work under the table.. I read from somewhere that IRS and USCIS do not communicate with each other)

3. I worked as TA as on-campus employment, so it is not on my I-20. I also worked at overlapping time with CPT as a part time. Again... I don't want to flag them, even though I didn't do anything wrong. I had a special situation.. but I don't want to give them too much information and be like, wait a second....RFE!!!

Edited by Charmss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
12 hours ago, Charmss said:

I couldn't really find threads specifically for this topic, so I decided to ask you guys.

I am an F-1 for with marriage-based AOS. I'm done with my documentations, I'm planning on sending everything else and then send I-693 as soon as I get it. I don't want to hold onto it and forget it at the interview. lol

1. Anyhow, while filing I-485, I see previous employment for 5 years. It's June, 2018 now. Do I need to include any employment since June of 2013? or anytime of the year for 2013? I worked couple hours a week until March, 2013, which is still 2013, but not exactly 5 years from now.

2. So, I had overlaps: I worked two jobs, one on campus, the other off campus. the on campus job is not on my I-20, because it is on campus. For both jobs, if any, would have been less than 20 hours a week, because it was contingent-based. I don't want to red-flag immigration officers. Should I not include on-campus job that is not found anywhere in I-20, visa, and application? (fyi I didn't work under the table.. I read from somewhere that IRS and USCIS do not communicate with each other)

3. I worked as TA as on-campus employment, so it is not on my I-20. I also worked at overlapping time with CPT as a part time. Again... I don't want to flag them, even though I didn't do anything wrong. I had a special situation.. but I don't want to give them too much information and be like, wait a second....RFE!!!

I am also adjust from F1 and also used to be a TA + CPT during the summer (internship). I listed those but did NOT include any proof of it. I have not gotten an RFIE about it but I'll bring evidence to my interview (if they even ask). 

Local Field office: Raleigh, NC

Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765 & I-864
Date Mailed: 01/25/2018
Date Received: 01/30/2018
Date Received NOA Letters: 02/06/2018
Received Biometrics Letter: 02/17/2018
Biometrics Done: 02/26/2018
RFIE (I485): 02/23/2018
RFIE in mailbox: 3/3/2018
RFIE received by USCIS: 3/8/2018
USCIS update - EAD being produced and sent to me: 5/25
EAD sent me to: 5/31
I-485 "ready to schedule interview: 6/1
EAD in hand: 6/4
i485 interview notice has been sent in the mail: 6/4

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Well at that time you're a full-time student. It's up to you whether you want to list them as employment since your main status is F1 student. It doesn't really matter whether you worked legally or not, as a spouse for US citizen, it doesn't necessarily affect your application.

You should include your employment status starting from June 2013. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was on an F-1 visa too. For my I-485, I listed all my work in the US, including my multiple on campus jobs during the 5 years I was at school; however as I received my pay from the university (not the specific departments I worked for), I completed just one employer entry for it all. I put the general university HR info for the employer, and the job title as "Student employee" (rather than individually listing positions). I had a lawyer help me prepare my packet. So far, although we did get an RFE, it wasn't about the employment history, and I am now in the "Ready to schedule for interview" stage, so I think what I put for employment history was acceptable. I don't think they care about little details such as what positions you worked, just that the employment was not unauthorized (in my case it wasn't). Hope that helps! :)

PS: I never had my I-20 updated for jobs either. When I got my first job offer, the international student center on campus (who handled my visa stuff) helped me apply for a SSN, and afterwards I just made sure to let the center know every time I accepted a position, and was careful that I stuck to the 19 hr/week max during times when school was in session. No paperwork was ever updated on my visa. I think the SSN is how they track it, mine says "Not valid without DHS authorization." 

• 3 months later...

@charmss

Glad found your post as this scenario is not discussed anywhere in any forum. Could you please tell me how did you list those on campus jobs in employment history? I am in same boat where I worked in multiple positions in college and thats not documented in i-20. I don’t want USCIS to flag it as unauthorized though it’s totally legitimate. 

I would be super grateful if you can tell me how you dealt with it successfully :)

Thank you!

@DevilAngel I just put everything like others suggested in reverse chronological order with no gaps in time. but I didn't have multiple jobs on campus like you. I think this information is more relevant to you:

On 6/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, Tilly87 said:

I was on an F-1 visa too. For my I-485, I listed all my work in the US, including my multiple on campus jobs during the 5 years I was at school; however as I received my pay from the university (not the specific departments I worked for), I completed just one employer entry for it all. I put the general university HR info for the employer, and the job title as "Student employee" (rather than individually listing positions).

Edited by Charmss

1 hour ago, DevilAngel said:

@Charmss

thank you for reply. Did you provide proof to support your on campus employment too? Since I20s doesn’t mention them, I am very anxious :0

Nope, I didn't. I just gave them all information on 485 but that's it. However, that's how I did it, and my 485 is still pending, so don't take my word for it. 😀

Edited by Charmss

• 2 years later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 10/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, Charmss said:

Nope, I didn't. I just gave them all information on 485 but that's it. However, that's how I did it, and my 485 is still pending, so don't take my word for it. 😀

Hi, Did your application approve successfully or there were any issues on employment history?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.