4 posts in this topic

I am international, married to a US citizen, and we will have our green card interview in a few months. I have many international friends from all over the world, who went through the same, and all of them got their green card with no problem. They all told me that their interview was simple; they all went to the interview room together with their US spouse, and the interviewer only asked them simple questions like "Where did you all meet for the first time?" "When did you get married?" "How long have you been together" "When is your spouse's birthday" and so on.  The thing is, they all got interviewed together with their spouse in the same room.  They all had their interview in different states in the US.

So I was thinking this was going to the common way of the interview. Now I live in a state different from any of my friends, and I have my immigration lawyer who prepared all documents for me, and he is also coming to the interview with me and my spouse. But he told me that at the interview they will split me and my spouse and have an interview separately asking the same questions, and check if our answers will match. Not because we might look suspicious, but because that is what they do to all married couples who will have the interview in this specific USCIS in our state.

Is that true that in some USCIS, they will split you and your spouse REGARDLESS of whether the marriage seems genuine or fake? What if some answers don't match? for example, "What is your spouse's favorite food" or something like this is very difficult to make answers match, if your spouse likes multiple dishes. Or in this kind of split interview, do they mostly ask a question that can have only one answer? Such as "When is your spouse's birthday?", "Where do you all meet?", "When did you get married?" etc?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, there are cases where they interview together and cases where they interview separate. In my case was together but there are stories here from people who interviewed separate.

My answer to your question is simple. If you relationship is legit, you have nothing to worry about. 

They normally ask for facts of your lives, where did you get married, when did you guys meet etc etc etc....I`m sure you both know all of this  and important dates if that comes up. Bring pictures, proof of wedding, engagement, family photos etc. Look at my review and it will give you an idea.

Dont worry.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

13 minutes ago, T_P said:

Yes, there are cases where they interview together and cases where they interview separate. In my case was together but there are stories here from people who interviewed separate.

My answer to your question is simple. If you relationship is legit, you have nothing to worry about. 

They normally ask for facts of your lives, where did you get married, when did you guys meet etc etc etc....I`m sure you both know all of this  and important dates if that comes up. Bring pictures, proof of wedding, engagement, family photos etc. Look at my review and it will give you an idea.

Dont worry.

May I ask which state you live in? It only took you about 5 months before the interview after the applications received.

It took most of my friends about a year from the application till the interview. Your case seems faster.

Also may I ask what you brought in to the interview as a proof of bona fide marriage?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jun2580 said:

May I ask which state you live in? It only took you about 5 months before the interview after the applications received.

It took most of my friends about a year from the application till the interview. Your case seems faster.

Also may I ask what you brought in to the interview as a proof of bona fide marriage?

Everything I could share it is in my timeline. Access my profile -> Timeline and you will find the answers.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.