clara m

K1 Visa Affidavit of Support question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi guys,

My question is pretty specific. I am the American petitioner and my fiancé is the Colombian beneficiary. I lived in Latin American for 4 years - 2 years in Nicaragua and 2 years in Colombia, where I first met my fiancé. While I was living there I never made much money, I made so little that I was told it was unnecessary for me to file taxes. It was enough for me to live off of down there but I never had a lot of money.

For the past year and a half I have been teaching English online, and within the past year I have been making better money. The company I work for is Chinese, so they do not give me a W-2. I received a certificate of employment from them and a payment summary for 2017, but that's it. I would say my average is around $1800/month, sometimes much more but never much less than that. That would put my average income around $21,600, which is just barely above the 125% poverty guideline for a 2-person household. My earnings for 2017 were $22,000, before taxes. I paid taxes independently through my own accountant. 

Our NOA1 was December 15th, so I am starting to get prepared for the NOA2 (hopefully!). Basically, my worry is that since I am an independent contractor and the online teaching company I work for is in China, it will not seem like sufficient evidence for the affidavit of support. I filed taxes last year so they can see my income from 2017, but the years before that I was not making enough to need to file. I am living in the States now while we wait for the NOA2 and I am applying to more stable, full-time jobs with benefits, however that could take another couple of months until I find something. I'd prefer not to use a sponsor for the I-134. 

Sorry, this is a bit complicated, but if anyone has any insight into what steps I should be taking, please let me know! Thanks!

Timeline

they want to see the last 3 years tax returns, you should start thinking about getting a co-sponsor that makes above the poverty line.

I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you ❤️

6A198021-A7C3-405C-A1FD-28C831D642CC.png

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Is that what the Bogota Embassy asked for specifically, 3 years?  I am expecting our NOA2 in september and hopefully  the interview in NOvemeber or so.  I have a similar issue which was lack of tax returns.  I lived abroad for almost 10 years and lets just say it would have been an extraordinary challenge to file tax returns where i was.  I will have my 2017 Tax Return by next month but other then this and a proof of employment letter i dont have alot in terms of proof of income.  May i ask you how in depth was the "support" part of your interview.  Any info would help, thanks alot.

Timeline

Thank you soo much.  I am super confident that everything with our application and interview will be ok but since i own my own business and make most of my money out of country i am definitely concerned about the affadavit of support .  Its my only flaw in the process.  Hope that everything goes well with your interview.  Do you have an appointment yet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 1/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, clara m said:

Our NOA1 was December 15th, so I am starting to get prepared for the NOA2 (hopefully!). Basically, my worry is that since I am an independent contractor and the online teaching company I work for is in China, it will not seem like sufficient evidence for the affidavit of support. I filed taxes last year so they can see my income from 2017, but the years before that I was not making enough to need to file. I am living in the States now while we wait for the NOA2 and I am applying to more stable, full-time jobs with benefits, however that could take another couple of months until I find something. I'd prefer not to use a sponsor for the I-134. 

Sorry, this is a bit complicated, but if anyone has any insight into what steps I should be taking, please let me know! Thanks!

You  just  need a joint sponsor as it is a must the 3 years tax return. Im from Argentina and my fiancee is American. We have a similar situation, we met in Argentina 8 years ago, we traveled through Latin America the last 2 years. 

He returned to the US in october 2017, so he does not have 3years of tax return, so we have a joint sponsor.

We are prepairing ourselves, learning about the affidavit since now, (we got NOA1 last month)because it takes time to get all the paperwork for 2 affidavits, and its very important to do it right to get the visa aproved, we are really stressed out but we keep it up. Hope everything turns out ok for you! And for everybody!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.