trio

Conditional Green Card Holder planning on joining the military

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm actually planning on joining the military but I'm still a conditional permanent resident. My green card will expire next year. And I'm still not sure if my parents are going to file the petition to remove the condition next year. I moved out of the house and live by my own. Is there anyway I could change the petitioner to myself or someone else? Or is there anyway I could join the military? 

You can join the army with conditional green card. But not air force or navy- I believe they require 10 year green cards at least.

Though if course you need to keep your green card if you want to live and work in the US. Recruiter might ask you about this. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline
On 6/1/2018 at 1:17 AM, Roel said:

You can join the army with conditional green card. But not air force or navy- I believe they require 10 year green cards at least.

Though if course you need to keep your green card if you want to live and work in the US. Recruiter might ask you about this. 

Roel, you are almost correct. You can join the army, navy, and marines with a conditional one. The Air Force requires the 10 year green card. I am not sure about the coast guard.

However, I am not sure how advisable it is to try to join under Conditional Permanent residence.

Due to a new regulation every green card holder who intends to join the military, will have to undergo and pass the background investigation process now BEFORE entering the branch of service. You can be admitted into DEP but the enlistment will not further be processed until the checks are done. And as the office that deals with those checks is extremely behind their schedule, this can take up to a year. 

So if you have already had your green card for one year prior to enlisting, it could be that by the time you are good to enter the branch of service, your green card is expired and you are waiting for the removal of conditions to be done.

That is in some branches a problem, as the extension letter is not valid shipping document resulting in, again, a wait.

It might be advisable for some to just wait until they have the 10 year green card.

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 8:10 PM, trio said:

Hello everyone,

I'm actually planning on joining the military but I'm still a conditional permanent resident. My green card will expire next year. And I'm still not sure if my parents are going to file the petition to remove the condition next year. I moved out of the house and live by my own. Is there anyway I could change the petitioner to myself or someone else? Or is there anyway I could join the military? 

Did you join? :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.