cutie2009

relatives in love?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

john_and_marlene,

A couple needs to be able to have a government-recognized marriage according to the law of the place where the marriage takes place. If the marriage will take place in the USA, and it will be a recognized marriage in the USA (at least in the state where it is registered), then neither the USCIS nor the DoS have any reason to be concerned about whether the marriage will be recognized back in the Philippines.

Yodrak

2. They must be legally free to marry according to the laws of both countries. Does the law in the Philippines allow for cousin marriages? If not, a petition for fiance will not be valid.

Edited by Yodrak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The question won't arise because two people have the same middle name. That's probably not a wholly uncommon occurance.

It does bring questions in a country where your middle name is your mother's maiden name which is the case here.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

The question won't arise because two people have the same middle name. That's probably not a wholly uncommon occurance.

It does bring questions in a country where your middle name is your mother's maiden name which is the case here.

Learn someting new every day! :)

I re-read the post & basically, this (male) USC wants to marry his second cousin. But then the OP said, is it easier for him to marry her girlfriend in the PIs? So this male USC just wants a wife, it seems as if he doesn't care if it's his cousin or another woman...that's what I got out of it. Interesting tale, nonetheless.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Does no one care about insest anymore?? :blink:

its not good to breed with members of your own blood!! it be phsycally bad for a child who is born under this

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Timeline
hey, just giving an example of how some people don't see it as bad. I, personally, would never marry ANYONE in my family because that is how I was raised.

HEY, my comment was not directed towards you, so no need to get deffensive. :P

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Actually, I believe as of late scientists have debunked the notion that marrying a first cousin is genetically inadvisable. Sister/brother, etc, still bad. But cousin, not so much.

*I* wouldn't, but whatever.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Does no one care about insest anymore?? :blink:

its not good to breed with members of your own blood!! it be phsycally bad for a child who is born under this

There's something distatesteful about it to me, too. But I've heard that 20% of all marriages are between first cousins, and that offspring of first cousins only have a 2-3% greater chance of birth defects.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
hey, just giving an example of how some people don't see it as bad. I, personally, would never marry ANYONE in my family because that is how I was raised.

No need to assume it was defensive. I don't get upset easily.

Timeline

No need to assume it was defensive. I don't get upset easily.

I assume nothing, i call it as i see it :)

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
I re-read the post & basically, this (male) USC wants to marry his second cousin. But then the OP said, is it easier for him to marry her girlfriend in the PIs? So this male USC just wants a wife, it seems as if he doesn't care if it's his cousin or another woman...that's what I got out of it. Interesting tale, nonetheless.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP just has trouble with pronouns. I think the OP meant is it easier for him to marry his girlfriend in the PIs. As in would it be easier to marry her in the Phillipines instead of trying to go the K1 route. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I read it; not that he just wants to marry anybody and doesn't care if it is her.

1996: Paul and I met in Germany

10.18.06: We got engaged! :D

12.05.06: NOA1 for I-129F

05.04.07: Interview-- Visa Approved!!!!

05.09.07: Visa Received!!!!

05.14.07: Paul is home!!!!

06.08.07: Wedding!!!! We're married, we're married! Woohoo!

06.21.07: Sent AOS, AP, and EAD applications to USCIS

06.23.07: AOS package received in Chicago

06.28.07: NOA for AOS, AP, and EAD

07.10.07: Received notice for biometrics appointment

08.02.07: Biometrics Appointment

09.20.07: AOS interview

11.15.07: Green Card received

11.05.09: Removal of Conditions package sent to VSC

11.09.09: Package received at VSC

11.12.09: Check cashed

I could be wrong, but I think the OP just has trouble with pronouns. I think the OP meant is it easier for him to marry his girlfriend in the PIs. As in would it be easier to marry her in the Phillipines instead of trying to go the K1 route. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I read it; not that he just wants to marry anybody and doesn't care if it is her.

ah, perhaps! The original post is so confusing!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

takes on a whole new meaning to...bringing relatives to the USA :whistle:

i did not understand the last part either...about if he has a better chance marrying his girlfriend in the Philippines than petitioning his niece/gf. is the gf and the niece/gf one and the same? i think if it's a valid relationship and they fill-out the part in the 129F application which ask if they are related...then technically they should be ok. the other concern would be if it is a valid relationship...or if it's an arrangement to bring relatives/families to the US faster. (totally possible...)

i'm not sure about the law in the Philippines...but i know that the current President Arroyo's first son married his cousin (i'm not sure if it's his first or second cousin...most likely second.)

my husband's close guy friend...let's call him E...is in relationship with his first cousin. it's been going on for years...and they have been dating behind their family's back....as they are against it. although monetarily speaking...it would have been great for their family! (they are old-money rich.) :blink:

Edited by mychelle

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.