6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys!

We're currently in the process of waiting for our NOA2 (which hopefully should be approved within the next couple months!)

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with renewing passports in this period, and if this has any adverse effect on the process? 

To clarify, it will be the beneficiary who is renewing their passport in this instance.

While it does have a few years left on it, I thought it best to renew it now so it has a fresh 10-year validity so I don't have to worry about having to renew it when (hopefully) having moved to be with my fiancé in the US. Will this be a problem? The only bit of evidence that we supplied USCIS with which contained the passport number was a copy of the  I-94, a copy of a U.S entry visa, and a copy of the biographical page of the beneficiary passport. Other than that, we did not list the passport number on the actual application form. My worry is that they might see it, do their background searches, and see its invalid as I will have acquired a new one. Could this cause us issues? Also, if I do renew my passport, would I have to let them know I have a new passport as the beneficiary, or do I just continue the process?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, S_And_J said:

Hey guys!

We're currently in the process of waiting for our NOA2 (which hopefully should be approved within the next couple months!)

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with renewing passports in this period, and if this has any adverse effect on the process? 

To clarify, it will be the beneficiary who is renewing their passport in this instance.

While it does have a few years left on it, I thought it best to renew it now so it has a fresh 10-year validity so I don't have to worry about having to renew it when (hopefully) having moved to be with my fiancé in the US. Will this be a problem? The only bit of evidence that we supplied USCIS with which contained the passport number was a copy of the  I-94, a copy of a U.S entry visa, and a copy of the biographical page of the beneficiary passport. Other than that, we did not list the passport number on the actual application form. My worry is that they might see it, do their background searches, and see its invalid as I will have acquired a new one. Could this cause us issues? Also, if I do renew my passport, would I have to let them know I have a new passport as the beneficiary, or do I just continue the process?

I think most people renew their passports during the process for this reason, or because their current one is set to expire. Plus you need 6 months validity left to get the visa. My husband renewed his passport. Shouldn't be any issues. Some people take both passports to the interview if they have them both to show they simply renewed it. Again no issues.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, S_And_J said:

Hey guys!

My passport has just about a year left on it, I know this is risky but my logic is that when  we get married I will need to pay to change my name so there is no point paying to renew right now when we (fingers crossed) will be married in a few months and then I will have to pay again to change my name?! Anyway, I guess that is personal preference. As far as USCIS/embassy having an issue with it the passport office should return the old passport just with the corners snipped off, so therefore you will still have proof of having had that passport with the expiry date or whatever info you initially submitted. 

event.png

NOA 1: 26 Dec 2017

RFE 22 August 2018

NOA 2: 08 September 2018

Medical: 16 October 2018

Interview: 22 October 2018

Visa in Hand: 2 November 2018 

POE: 10 November 2018 - Baltimore

Wedding:  :wub: :

Distance is no demon,

Often I think it can be a blessing for those in love,

a silent, underappreciated blessing.

It will have no power over us.

When you come stumbling to my door after months, with flowers and wine in hand,

I will be ready.

When I pick you up from the airport, the feeling will be unmatched,

that feeling like birds bursting in song from beneath my lungs, 

that feeling unlike any other.

We have to stay strong and remember what is most important;

I love you, and you, me.

The air between us is nothing but a metaphor.

Nothing, not one thing, can come between us.

- Christopher Poindexter - 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, S_And_J said:

Hey guys!

Hey S and J,

My fiancée (the beneficiary) also had to renew her passport and there was no problems at all. She is Brazilian living in Brazil. She renewed it while we were waiting for the NVC and consulate confirmation that they had received the paperwork post-NOA2. Fastforward to yesterday and she got her visa approved after the interview!

I hope this helps a bit.

I had about 18 months on my British passport when I got NOA2, but didn't want the bother of it expiring while I was living in the US in the year or two after I arrived, so I renewed it. I think they credited a few extra months on it too (ie new one was for 10 years and 6 months). I did it in person in London - costs a fair bit more, but no risk of it going walkies in the mail (know a couple of people who lost passports that way).

Renewing won't cause any problems with your K1 process, unless it goes missing and you then don't have a passport to travel on.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I just want to ask if we need to notify anyone after renewing the passport? we are now on the process of waiting the NVC case number.  Should I just bring both passport in the interview? Thank you very much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.