aiyappan

June 2018 AOS Filers

310 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Rilo0918 said:

So I received my interview date which is on Jan 15th. I still haven't heard anything on my EAD. How long after the interview does it take for that to be approved? Or is that something that's all given at the same time right after the interview?

thanks

Assuming you're approved for the green card, you will just get the green card in the mail. Your EAD/AP applications will be closed as "benefit was received" via GC. Once you get the green card, you won't need EAD

Unless they've already assigned an officer to your I-765 application, which is unlikely, you won't be able to work until you receive the green card, unfortunately. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

5 hours ago, eckoin said:

Assuming you're approved for the green card, you will just get the green card in the mail. Your EAD/AP applications will be closed as "benefit was received" via GC. Once you get the green card, you won't need EAD

Unless they've already assigned an officer to your I-765 application, which is unlikely, you won't be able to work until you receive the green card, unfortunately. 

good to know. thank you!

I got married a couple weeks ago to my girlfriend who is a non-citizen. We're planning on sending in the AOS packet in the next month, but the only thing I'm really worried about is evidence of a bona fide marriage. Affidavits are easy - but things like a joint bank account seems a little difficult. My bank doesn't allow anyone to become part of my account if they don't have a social security number. Would adding her to my car insurance be of help? Have her put the gas bill in her name? We JUST got married and now we have to comingle all this stuff right away?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
6 minutes ago, UnitedStatesGuy said:

I got married a couple weeks ago to my girlfriend who is a non-citizen. We're planning on sending in the AOS packet in the next month, but the only thing I'm really worried about is evidence of a bona fide marriage. Affidavits are easy - but things like a joint bank account seems a little difficult. My bank doesn't allow anyone to become part of my account if they don't have a social security number. Would adding her to my car insurance be of help? Have her put the gas bill in her name? We JUST got married and now we have to comingle all this stuff right away?

For the conditional GC, some pictures are good enough. Gather as much evidence as you can like how you guys met, dating nights, pictures hanging out with friends...

It will take a while until the interview, during which you guys can start adding both names onto bills, join cc, house mortgage or lease...

Affidavits is the least important of all. You can get it from strangers on the street.

Edited by hoangthaihuy

Timeline
16 minutes ago, UnitedStatesGuy said:

Not really the right thread, but to answer your questions:

It's expected that you just got married and haven't gotten much of "joint life" together.  They're looking for proof that you have known each other and have been dating--flights together/to see each other, trips together, some communication history, pictures together (especially with family/friends), affidavits won't hurt but are more "filler" than anything, if you don't have much overall.

How did your girlfriend get into US?  Is she here legally?  Just wondering re: SSN.

Adding her to your car insurance will definitely help, so will putting her on the utility bills.  I'd start "commingling" right away, it will make the interview that much easier to have long-term evidence than stuff you've assembled a month before.

Here's a recent thread off the top of my head with some other suggestions:

Edited by eckoin

------------------

------------------

• 2 hours ago, eckoin said:

Not really the right thread, but to answer your questions:

It's expected that you just got married and haven't gotten much of "joint life" together.  They're looking for proof that you have known each other and have been dating--flights together/to see each other, trips together, some communication history, pictures together (especially with family/friends), affidavits won't hurt but are more "filler" than anything, if you don't have much overall.

How did your girlfriend get into US?  Is she here legally?  Just wondering re: SSN.

Adding her to your car insurance will definitely help, so will putting her on the utility bills.  I'd start "commingling" right away, it will make the interview that much easier to have long-term evidence than stuff you've assembled a month before.

Here's a recent thread off the top of my head with some other suggestions:

Yes, she came here legally on an ESTA. We've been seeing each other for years, visiting each other back and forth multiple times. We didn't have any plans of getting married but the back and forth for only a couple weeks a year for years was getting really tough. Thanks for the advice & I apologize for posting to the wrong thread. I kind of noticed that for whatever reason, this June AOS thread seems a lot more active and helpful than some of the others. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, UnitedStatesGuy said:
  • Yes, she came here legally on an ESTA. We've been seeing each other for years, visiting each other back and forth multiple times. We didn't have any plans of getting married but the back and forth for only a couple weeks a year for years was getting really tough. Thanks for the advice & I apologize for posting to the wrong thread. I kind of noticed that for whatever reason, this June AOS thread seems a lot more active and helpful than some of the others. 

Feel free to start a new thread at any time, people read everything :)

I'm not sure about getting SSN after marrying on ESTA. I think a lot of people on this forum could pitch in though. Having it would certainly help, so I'd figure out the most clear-cut way of getting it ASAP--and maybe it's not possible until your wife gets her EAD (and congratulations on the marriage!) 

Other than that, everything else still stands. I thought I had a pretty weak case with our lack of joint banking, since my husband and I never did get a joint bank account ("next month for sure though"), but we had insurance together--medical, dental, auto, home, even pet insurance--and I included all of our bills even though most were on separate names. Utility bills in his name (should have just added me, but well, still haven't), internet and home phone in mine, cell phone in both. It must have painted a pretty clear picture because the officer who interviewed us was pretty satisfied with this. Although we also have a child which I'm pretty sure weighed heavily in our favor; I think our interview was basically a formality after she asked about our kid and whether we have any others anywhere else (no). 

Best advice--get her name on as many things as you can as early as you can. Life will be much easier with a binder full of stuff. 

For applying now, focus on dating life so far and anything else you manage to get sorted out before applying. File taxes jointly next year as well. 

Make a new thread for any more specific questions; no harm, and will get you to the right people on this forum, and they are fantastic. 

------------------

------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.