7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Hi, I don't if this is the right forum or not but I just was wondering.. I have a friend that has been here since November of 2005 and has been working on getting a green card. I was told that since he's here on a I-94 that he can't get any medical/dental/vision insurance? He would be able to get insurance after getting his green card. Is that true, if not, does anyone have any suggestions on what insurance will take him? I was going to try United Healthcare because that's my insurance plan?

Thanks for any comments and help! :)

I'm sure he is elegable for expat insurance of some sort. I know there were a few topics started about this, so it wouldn't hurt to look them up using the search function. I'll see if I can dig my info up. Is he working and can get insurance through work?

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Hi, I don't if this is the right forum or not but I just was wondering.. I have a friend that has been here since November of 2005 and has been working on getting a green card. I was told that since he's here on a I-94 that he can't get any medical/dental/vision insurance? He would be able to get insurance after getting his green card. Is that true, if not, does anyone have any suggestions on what insurance will take him? I was going to try United Healthcare because that's my insurance plan?

Thanks for any comments and help! :)

If his I-94 is not expired...then he should be able to get insurance. (Students for example, are able to be insured through their schools, and they don't have a green card, only an unexpired I-94.) If that is expired, then there may not be much change of getting insured until after he gets the GC. Once he has that...there are various choices out there....he would need to see what is best/affordable for him. Perhaps he can get some sort of international insurance through his home country...though that would serve more as coverage for emergencies, no routine medical/dental/vision visits.

Good luck!

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi,

I don't know very much about insurance, but I did get medical insurance through my employer before I got my green card, so I know that's possible. Good luck to your friend!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Anyone can get private insurance. Blue Cross, Blue Shield, all the big companies have individual insurance for those who can't get it through work. You just have to pay the full premium.

Being here on a non-immigrant visa doesn't make an individual ineligible for health benefits through employment. You think all these H1-B software engineers who make 80-100 grand a year don't have insurance? They don't have green cards, and they're doing just fine without them.

Public benefits are limited to permanent residents and citizens. Private insurance isn't.

Edited by Jewel12

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My employer insurances my wife even though she isn't even here yet -- so that there won't be any pre-existing conditions issues when she arrives (the insurance company has a 6-month exclusion period). So it is possible.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.