Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I contacted Montreal consulate via email asking for an estimated time for the visa interview. They responded (via email) saying they don't have my case yet and that "NVC schedules interviews for them". That means the consulate will not be able to give any info on cases that are on queue waiting for a visa appointment. They have no visibility to it unless they have scheduled the interview. Prior to interview scheduling, the file stays with NVC and the consulate has no knowledge of it. The consulate can still give an approximate timeline for IV wait period (provided NVC has completed the processing and priority date is current) but it seems they choose not to.

19 minutes ago, dskar said:

I contacted Montreal consulate via email asking for an estimated time for the visa interview. They responded (via email) saying they don't have my case yet and that "NVC schedules interviews for them". That means the consulate will not be able to give any info on cases that are on queue waiting for a visa appointment. They have no visibility to it unless they have scheduled the interview. Prior to interview scheduling, the file stays with NVC and the consulate has no knowledge of it. The consulate can still give an approximate timeline for IV wait period (provided NVC has completed the processing and priority date is current) but it seems they choose not to.

And unfortunately, NVC provides no guidance (other than the generic 2-3 months) on how long it will take to schedule the interview at the specific Montreal consulate for EB categories. I suspect Montreal consulate tells NVC how many slots they have open each month for each visa category, and NVC then fills them on a FIFO basis using CC date. Given that 90% of the volume is for family/IR, Montreal probably only has a handful of officers that deal with EB cases. This means there is only so much EB capacity they can handle, and the number of slots allocated to EB is lesser than the 10% that the EB candidates represent by volume. So for example, if 10% of candidates are EB, but only 5% of slots are given to EB interviews, the wait for EB candidates will be twice that of FB/IR, which is what the data from members on this site appears to suggest. Of course, there is no way to confirm any of this, because NVC won't tell you how many slots they receive per month per category, and what your number in line is for the specific consulate.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ratri said:

Nothing yet....... It's been 120 days since email received from NVC on August 6 confirming all the document has been received and waiting for the interview slot from Montreal. Called NVC last week and their response is same. still waiting for the interview date from Montreal for January schedules! 

Ratri, assuming you get an appointment in January 2019, it will put the processing time at 5 months (after case complete). Please let us know when you receive the appointment letter.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/5/2018 at 8:56 AM, dskar said:

Ratri, assuming you get an appointment in January 2019, it will put the processing time at 5 months (after case complete). Please let us know when you receive the appointment letter.

Thank you Ratri, lets keep our fingers crossed and see what comes up early next year.

12 hours ago, Shaki said:

Thank you Ratri, lets keep our fingers crossed and see what comes up early next year.

This is what we appear to have so far. Did CanMon get an interview in December?

Name                   category                CC date                 Interview date

PhilCanUSRN       EB2                        May 7                    Nov 16

Deztiny                  EB2                        May 21                  Nov 26

bkbk8                    EB2                 May be June, Not sure and not active in the forum

CanMon                EB2                        July 26                  Waiting

vnca                       EB3                       Aug 20                   Waiting

Shaki                      EB2                       Oct 10                    Waiting

Mo85                     EB2                       Waiting                   Waiting

Ratri                       EB2                       Aug 6                      Waiting

ascb                       EB2                       Oct 11                    Waiting

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Based on PhilCanUSRN and Deztiny's timeline, CanMon should have interview scheduled for late January or early February- my guess!

Ascb, seems we both have same time our cases were closed, please let me know if you get interview update from NVC.

I have called many times in the past but based on this website and timeline, I don't bother waste my time on NVC calls again until around 6 months of case closed?

14 minutes ago, Shaki said:

Based on PhilCanUSRN and Deztiny's timeline, CanMon should have interview scheduled for late January or early February- my guess!

Ascb, seems we both have same time our cases were closed, please let me know if you get interview update from NVC.

I have called many times in the past but based on this website and timeline, I don't bother waste my time on NVC calls again until around 6 months of case closed?

Yes, I will update here as soon as I hear anything on my case. Likewise, I hope others in EB will do the same. This information sharing appears to be the only thing we have going for us in being able to make any educated guesses since NVC provides us with nothing, and Montreal is clueless until after the interview has been scheduled (at which point, we already know the date!).

Edited by ascb

On 12/10/2018 at 6:08 PM, Shaki said:

I have not received anything from Montreal or NVC regarding an interview as of yet.

5 minutes ago, CanMon said:

CC July 26

Interview Scheduled Dec. 12 for end of January interview 

139 days waiting

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing this information. Looks like 6 months from CC to interview is fairly consistent amongst EB candidates. They selected the coldest time of the year for you in Montreal LOL. All the best with the interview!

Hi All,

Please note that I am *EB1 not EB2* so a bit different than you all.  I had my interview back in August... unfortunately they scheduled it in July when  the category was current, and then retrogression hit for August.  So at my interview they told me my case was "approvable" but I had to keep checking the Visa Bulletin to see when my category would be current again before they could issue a visa to me.

After many months, I am FINALLY current for January 2019!

As instructed, I reached out to the Consulate to find out how to send my passport to them.  I got an auto response saying that it is taking EIGHT WEEKS to open and receive mail!!  I am assuming the delay is from the Canada Post strike?  This is a huge problem, as my medical exam result will expire January 30th. 

Are there any others that have run into this issue?  Should I just send them my passport or do I have to wait for instructions?  I fear if I wait there won't be enough time to process the visa before the medical exam expires...

Timeline
11 minutes ago, TexasForeverYall said:

Hi All,

Please note that I am *EB1 not EB2* so a bit different than you all.  I had my interview back in August... unfortunately they scheduled it in July when  the category was current, and then retrogression hit for August.  So at my interview they told me my case was "approvable" but I had to keep checking the Visa Bulletin to see when my category would be current again before they could issue a visa to me.

After many months, I am FINALLY current for January 2019!

As instructed, I reached out to the Consulate to find out how to send my passport to them.  I got an auto response saying that it is taking EIGHT WEEKS to open and receive mail!!  I am assuming the delay is from the Canada Post strike?  This is a huge problem, as my medical exam result will expire January 30th. 

Are there any others that have run into this issue?  Should I just send them my passport or do I have to wait for instructions?  I fear if I wait there won't be enough time to process the visa before the medical exam expires...

I don't think that 8 weeks delay is because of Canada Post strike. It likely has something to do with the backlog in their mail room. Regardless, consider sending your passport through another means (e.g FedEx) and prep for another medical, just in case.

3 minutes ago, dskar said:

I don't think that 8 weeks delay is because of Canada Post strike. It likely has something to do with the backlog in their mail room. Regardless, consider sending your passport through another means (e.g FedEx) and prep for another medical, just in case.

Yes I will be sending my passports in via the quickest possible delivery method,  Unfortunately, I reached out to the doctor that did my medical already - I said I would happily pay for a another one and he REFUSED to do it until the Consulate requested it.  Incredibly frustrating as this has the potential to set my move date back by 2-3 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.