Stein

Gift for Vietnamese girlfriend's Mother

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am going to be meeting my girlfriends' parents for the first time when I visit Vietnam again next week.  I would like to bring a gift for her mother from the USA.  For her father she was able to make a good suggestion for me for a good quality pair of sunglasses for riding motorbike as the quality she can buy for him in Vietnam is not as good.  For her mother she has not been able to make a suggestion for a gift.  Her father is 72 and her mother is 66 so I would like any ideas of possible gifts for her mother that maybe is something that is only available in the US or is not easily available in Vietnam.  Also suggestions that would be age appropriate and also appropriate for meeting for the first time.  Gift in the $80-$100 USD range. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would get her something that is not readily available in Vietnam and is usable everyday.  A Tiger brand rice cooker would be an excellent choice.  The $150 dollar 5 cup model one is perfect.  Every respectable Vietnamese knows Tiger makes the best rice and its not even close compared to other brands. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ask your gf.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

10 hours ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

I would get her something that is not readily available in Vietnam and is usable everyday.  A Tiger brand rice cooker would be an excellent choice.  The $150 dollar 5 cup model one is perfect.  Every respectable Vietnamese knows Tiger makes the best rice and its not even close compared to other brands. 

It will probably end up in pieces when it gets to Tan Son Nhat, unless he hand carries it :)

Timeline
21 hours ago, Klipsch17310 said:

Couple tubes Bengay,Salonpas pad ..And 1 or 2 bottles of glucosamine & joint supplements ..They will love them ..

At first when I saw this when researching online I thought it was strange but I have seen similar references to this and also JasonGG's reference to vitamins.  My GF had alluded to things "for her health" but wasn't clear on what to get.  I'll probably go this route.  Thanks all for the suggestions.

Timeline

Vitamin E too 

toothpaste

soap (Irish spring)

shampoo

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

Ended up with quality US made multi-vitamins, Bengay, Solanpas and Glucosamine and Chondroitin.  Candy for the kiddies and a nice pair of Ray-Ban polarized Aviator sunglasses.  Thanks for all of the tips!

Timeline

a cool tshirt

CR1 NEBRASKA

I-130 SENT-3/26/18

I-130 RECEIVED-3/28/18

NOA1-4/2/18

NOA2-1/26/19

RECEIVED NOA2 IN MAIL-2/2/19

NVC RECEIVED PETITION-2/12/19

RECEIVED CASE AND INVOICE # FROM NVC-3/20/19

SUMMITED ALL DOCUMENTS-3/30/19

CASE COMPLETE-4/12/19

INTERVIEW LETTER-4/20/19

INTERVIEW-5/23/19 (Did not get Approved)

Second Interview-7/12/19 (Approved)

event.png

event.png

yum 006.JPG

Timeline

I know that my mom would like a good pair of comfortable shoes. Especially she is 66, probably goes to the market every day:) 

I129F sent : 20/12/2013

I129f received: 26/1/2013

NOA1 notification: 01/01/2014 heart.gifheart.gif

Alien registration number changed :03/01/2014

NOA2 notification: 04/02/2014

Case number: 14/02/2014heart.gifheart.gif

Embassy recieved: 19/02/2014

Fee paid: 26/02/2014

P3 recieved: 03/03/2014

P3 sent: 04/03/2014

Interview day : 07/05/2014goofy.gifgoofy.gif

• 1 year later...

You should discuss definitely it with your girlfriend. It’s very important to choose the right and not offensive gift for her mother to make a good impression upon her. Actually, it’s really tough to find a gift for a 66 year old woman. Clothes or make up products are definitely not a right choice. A set of qualitative knives or wristwatch are great options, but check more about the cultural background of Vietnam. For example, in my country there is kind of unwritten rule that knives and watches bring bad luck or situations. Though, I’m not sure if Vietnam citizen have the same way of thinking. I’d give her a basket with fruits and chocolates like on https://www.jetgiftbaskets.com/ . You can buy the basket and chocolates from USA, then fruits from Vietnam. I believe the it will impress her deeply, plus a dose of vitamins are never a bad idea.

Edited by Navy02

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.