Farrah Lawson

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

No one is attacking.  I did EVERYTHING in my journey legally and by the book.  But instead of calling federal agencies, I did the research myself and read the publications and instructions. Even if someone suggested something here, or elsewhere, I still research it myself.  The first year I was here I had to do taxes in two countries, on paper.  It sucks when you don't have a program to fill everything out for you, but you certainly learn how to do it. 

We are trying to get the ITIN. We will amend the taxes as well.

We made an appointment with the local Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) but it takes 5 weeks. The IRS operator told us that a Certified Acceptance Agent could sort it out for us and we wouldn't have to wait. We called one and they said that they only fill out the W-7 form and checks the Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return. They give us back the W-7 and we are responsible for submitting the documentation to IRS. So that means that we still need an appointment. We can submit the documentation by mail, but we don't want to send the passport in original. If we go in person, we get the passport back same day.

Edited by Farrah Lawson

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

You are on the right track Farrah. Go to the Local Assistance Center, they will verify passports for free (unlike certified acceptance agents) and will review your application as a whole as well. If there are any shortcomings, they will ask you to fix them and then hey will put a rectangular stamp on your application and they will forward it on to the necessary IRS addresses, you don't have to do anything afterwards. Also, I think that stamp can help a lot in the process. 
Those centers are there to help and assist taxpayers, don't ever hesitate to use their services. Good luck.  

Relax, this is not a race.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 19/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, Farrah Lawson said:

Hello, 

We have been advised by numerous VJ users to amend my taxes as I did not filed as married. They say that we need to apply for an ITIN for my spouse in order to amend my U.S. Federal income tax return.

We checked on the IRS official website and it says: 

If you have an application for a SSN pending, do not file Form W-7/W7(SP). Complete Form W-7/W-7(SP) only when the SSA notifies you that a SSN cannot be issued. Proof that the SSA denied your request for a SSN must be included with your submission of Form W-7/ W-7(SP), whether you are attaching your U.S Federal income tax return or requesting an ITIN under one of the “exceptions”. 

When we filed concurrently, we also submitted Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. We applied for a SSN through that form (on page 1, Item 10. "Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?"

How can I amend my taxes if my spouse does not have:

1. a SSN issued;

2. a notification from SSA that a SSN cannot be issued;

3. an ITIN (as we cannot apply for an ITIN since SSA did not notified us that a SSN cannot be issued)?

Thank you.

Hi Farrah I am going to tell you our experience, my husband has an accounting person that make his taxes return every year, sooo he made 2017 and he send to is the forma ready to print and "mail it" sooo we had to print and send by mail 3 packages because he has his living adress in one State, his working adress in other State; sooo was like this

1.- X state tax income with a check (he always pay money)

2.- Y state tax income

3.- IRS federal tax income

And  we add the form Form 8948, Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically

But told us that when I get my SSN we need to send to him a copy.

I hope this help you 

:)Our timeline AOS:)

Jan/30/2018    Filed via UPS 2 says    

Feb/01/2018    Package delivered (Chicago locxbox)

Feb/01/2018    Priority date (in the hard copies)

Feb/09/2018    Checks cashed

Feb/15/2018    Lawyer got NOA1

Feb/16/2018    We got our NOA1

Feb/24/2018    Biometrics appoiment letter in the mail

Mar/03/2018   Courtesy letter in the mail (medical not sent)

Mar/07/2018   Biometrics appointment schedule (Done)

event.png

22 hours ago, MyJourney said:

You are on the right track Farrah. Go to the Local Assistance Center, they will verify passports for free (unlike certified acceptance agents) and will review your application as a whole as well. If there are any shortcomings, they will ask you to fix them and then hey will put a rectangular stamp on your application and they will forward it on to the necessary IRS addresses, you don't have to do anything afterwards. Also, I think that stamp can help a lot in the process. 
Those centers are there to help and assist taxpayers, don't ever hesitate to use their services. Good luck.  

Do we get the application with that stamp back?

11 hours ago, MelandJason said:

Hi Farrah I am going to tell you our experience, my husband has an accounting person that make his taxes return every year, sooo he made 2017 and he send to is the forma ready to print and "mail it" sooo we had to print and send by mail 3 packages because he has his living adress in one State, his working adress in other State; sooo was like this

1.- X state tax income with a check (he always pay money)

2.- Y state tax income

3.- IRS federal tax income

And  we add the form Form 8948, Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically

But told us that when I get my SSN we need to send to him a copy.

I hope this help you 

How does your husband file, which status does he use for taxes? Married filing separately (MFS) or Married filing jointly (MFJ)?

Do you have an ITIN? Did you get your Employment Authorization card?

Thank you.

I came across this dilemma 2 months ago too, but managed to get around it. I have no Ssn and not eligible to apply for itin as I have a ssn application pending (AOS applicant). We filed Married Filing Separately. Filled it out on TurboTax online and printed it out for a mailed return. For my ssn, we put NRA. No problems with it and our return as been processed and being mailed to us now. 

Our state doesn't require taxes, so I didn't have to do state filing. Might be different for you.

Edited by isa_bella

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 24/5/2018 at 7:57 AM, Farrah Lawson said:

How does your husband file, which status does he use for taxes? Married filing separately (MFS) or Married filing jointly (MFJ)?

Do you have an ITIN? Did you get your Employment Authorization card?

Thank you.

Farrah we used married filing jointly, and NO I dont have SSN or ITIN and we got back the check in the mail, we just add the form that I told you before :) and mailed physically

:)Our timeline AOS:)

Jan/30/2018    Filed via UPS 2 says    

Feb/01/2018    Package delivered (Chicago locxbox)

Feb/01/2018    Priority date (in the hard copies)

Feb/09/2018    Checks cashed

Feb/15/2018    Lawyer got NOA1

Feb/16/2018    We got our NOA1

Feb/24/2018    Biometrics appoiment letter in the mail

Mar/03/2018   Courtesy letter in the mail (medical not sent)

Mar/07/2018   Biometrics appointment schedule (Done)

event.png

1 hour ago, MelandJason said:

Farrah we used married filing jointly, and NO I dont have SSN or ITIN and we got back the check in the mail, we just add the form that I told you before :) and mailed physically

We will go in person to the IRS local field office and submit the amended taxes (married filing jointly) along with the Form W-7, application for an ITIN (if eligible). We already applied for a SSN through the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, but USCIS has never initiated the filing. Social Security Administration has never received an application for a SSN on my spouse's name.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:04 PM, isa_bella said:

I came across this dilemma 2 months ago too, but managed to get around it. I have no Ssn and not eligible to apply for itin as I have a ssn application pending (AOS applicant). We filed Married Filing Separately. Filled it out on TurboTax online and printed it out for a mailed return. For my ssn, we put NRA. No problems with it and our return as been processed and being mailed to us now. 

Our state doesn't require taxes, so I didn't have to do state filing. Might be different for you.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.