ZoeUK1989

Passport help

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

Hey guys, is there anyone a british citizen who has moved to the US on a K1, whilst waiting for an interview or their green card has needed to renew their passport? 

If you need to renew you need to renew.  Fill out the application, gather the evidence and submit to the British Embassy is Wash DC.  Takes 7 or 8 weeks

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
12 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If you need to renew you need to renew.  Fill out the application, gather the evidence and submit to the British Embassy is Wash DC.  Takes 7 or 8 weeks

Do you have experience with this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

Do you have experience with this?

Renewing a passport while waiting or a British passport

YMMV

Timeline

Being in another country and having to renew a a british passport?

I am worried because mine runs out next year and I still havent had an interview date yet. 

I am also very stumped on how to do it. My last one was in 2009 and my mum did it for me lol 

You can apply for a new passport online, you just need to fill out the application and once you have done that send your old passport back to the passport office in the UK, from other threads I have seen it takes about 3 weeks.

This is the link https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There's no British passport renewal at embassies in the US. It has to go to the U.K. There's extra fees to cover delivery to US over what you would pay if you renewed while in the U.K.

Follow the link from StuBear.

12 hours ago, payxibka said:

Huh? The embassy in Washington, D.C. doesn't process passport renewals or applications. They are all handled by the passport office in the U.K. From posts I've seen from other Brits who have done this it takes just over a week, including the mailing back and forth. Most of the stuff is done online and then you just send the passport to HMPO and a week later you get your new passport and then a few days later your old one minus one corner is delivered back to you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*country-specific question moved to United Kingdom regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I renewed mine shortly after moving here, it's really easy, fill out the online application, print it off, sign it, send it along with the required documents to the UK. From memory it took a couple of weeks to come back, was delivered in 2 packages by DHL - 1 with the new passport and 1 with my documents :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline
On 5/7/2018 at 6:53 PM, trudi said:

I renewed mine shortly after moving here, it's really easy, fill out the online application, print it off, sign it, send it along with the required documents to the UK. From memory it took a couple of weeks to come back, was delivered in 2 packages by DHL - 1 with the new passport and 1 with my documents :)

Thank you so much for your response. Were you waiting for a green card or interview when you mailed it off?

Also did you have to take a new picture on the online application? 

Just now, ZoeUK1989 said:

Thank you so much for your response. Were you waiting for a green card or interview when you mailed it off?

Also did you have to take a new picture on the online application? 

Green card and yes you have to send new photos with the application, I sent American size and there were no problems with them being the wrong size :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline

Your answer is so helpful, thank you so much! :)

I am hesitant to send my off just yet as I am at the stage of no man's land. I am waiting for an interview and my luck is that I would mail my passport and then find out I have an interview and the required passport would be elsewhere lol. 

I managed to do all the immigration myself and yet I panic at the thought of doing my passport myself for the first time haha. 

Thanks again for your response 

31 minutes ago, trudi said:

Green card and yes you have to send new photos with the application, I sent American size and there were no problems with them being the wrong size :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.