Scouser92

Advance Parole Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys, just a quick regarding travelling with advance parole.

My combo card came back a fortnight ago and I want to return home for a visit. I booked the flight earlier for just over a month but then I got to thinking, what happens if I'm called for an interview when I'm not in the country. Can I reschedule it? 

Unless you are staying abroad for a fairly long period of time, the interview shouldn't overlap. Generally they schedule them over a month out from the notice.

It is possible to reschedule the interview, but that could delay your case by months and they may request why it was delayed (which you would explain).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I suggest signing up for USPS Informed Delivery so you can see if anything arrives from USCIS as well. There are mobile apps as well.

Full disclosure, I was on the initial Informed Delivery development team.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

59 minutes ago, Scouser92 said:

Hi guys, just a quick regarding travelling with advance parole.

My combo card came back a fortnight ago and I want to return home for a visit. I booked the flight earlier for just over a month but then I got to thinking, what happens if I'm called for an interview when I'm not in the country. Can I reschedule it? 

Happened to me. I thought there was no way I'll get it scheduled while I am gone since people with the same field office who had filed 2-3 months before me still haven't had their interview. Of course with my luck it got scheduled the day of my departure. I could've made it time-wise but the problem is that you also shouldn't have your interview right before you leave because of complications that might come up.

THat being said I rescheduled and received a letter saying that my application to have it rescheduled was granted and everything. Turned out they accidentally put my file on the wrong pile and denied it for a no-show. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because I really have the worst luck when it comes to immigration stuff. Usually the rescheduling process is successful and from what I've seen in the threads I was following they mostly got their new interview within 60 days of the original date. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Californiansunset said:

Happened to me. I thought there was no way I'll get it scheduled while I am gone since people with the same field office who had filed 2-3 months before me still haven't had their interview. Of course with my luck it got scheduled the day of my departure. I could've made it time-wise but the problem is that you also shouldn't have your interview right before you leave because of complications that might come up.

THat being said I rescheduled and received a letter saying that my application to have it rescheduled was granted and everything. Turned out they accidentally put my file on the wrong pile and denied it for a no-show. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because I really have the worst luck when it comes to immigration stuff. Usually the rescheduling process is successful and from what I've seen in the threads I was following they mostly got their new interview within 60 days of the original date. 

Thanks I feel better now. I appreciate it..

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, geowrian said:

I suggest signing up for USPS Informed Delivery so you can see if anything arrives from USCIS as well. There are mobile apps as well.

Full disclosure, I was on the initial Informed Delivery development team.

I love USPS Informed Delivery! Great work :)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I left and came back to visit family the start of last month and due back to the states on the 14th of june, but now there's a letter for an interview on the 12th of june. Typical. What should I do now?

Edited by Scouser92

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:44 AM, Scouser92 said:

Should I reschedule my flight or reschedule the appointment?

I would reschedule your flight in all honesty. I have seen on here where people have tried to reschedule the interview and they couldn't, others tried to reschedule and got approved for a reschedule only for it to be denied for missing the original appointment(weird I know yes), and other have rescheduled and it took forever to reschedule the appointment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.