5 posts in this topic

HI all,

I'm going to be a August 2018 Filer, and I got some questions already. Thanks in advance!

1 - How did you / what do you recommend for attaching photos to your ROC packet? I bought myself these : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066E5H7K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and basically intended to attach 6 some photos per year ( so 2016, 2017, and 2018) to the packet. But i'm worried about what I bought that the photos would slip out. I'm planning on using those ACCO Fasteners for the packet and it would go through the photo page. I was also worried if I did a plastic baggy with a staple through to keep the photos inside that it would just annoy the officer.  I do intend on writing on the photos themselves when the photo was taken, who is in the photo, and what was the approximate location.

2 - I feel like I've read both options, but what do you recommend with respect to including all pages to bank statements, bills, etc. My phone bill, for example, is about 20 pages each month, about 9 of which is phone records about when we call eachother, and about 10 pages is DATA pages... I have no desire to include those pages, and they don't relate at all to the case. Is there a chance I'd get an RFE because I didn't include all 20 pages?? 

For Bank Statements, I think I would just include the transactions, but then end it there and move on to the next month.

3 - Has anyone included a separate table of contents? I've made one, and basically was going to refer to see the attached Table of Contents in support of this application.

4 - Is it a good idea to include an explanation of what a particular section of my evidence ( say bills ) is meant for and any pertinent information? Going back to my cell phone bill, saying my number is (XXX-XXX-XYXY and my wife's phone is YYY-YYY-YXYX)?

5 - Highlighting. I thought I read that highlighting was very much discouraged for the I-751 form itself ( makes sense!), but I didn't seem to get a clear answer on the actual evidence itself or whether it represented a problem.

6 - Tax Transcripts. I am thinking I will definitely include two years of tax transcripts, but do I go ahead and include my Form 1040 as well as the associated W2s?

Thank you for your help and responses.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I printed photos on regular paper - about two per page.  ACCO fasteners are great!

Include ALL pages of statements, especially checking accounts.  If your financial co-mingling data is strong, then you might consider one statement per quarter, as we did.

I did a Table of Contents and I am glad I did, as it helped me organize all the paper. I had Section pages, and any explanations went on the section page.  For example, I did not have a lease or deed because my spouse purchased our house before we met.  I explained why there was no lease or deed, but added that I was including 3 years worth of homeowner’s insurance with both names.  The section page was a good place for explanations like this.

I have heard that highlighting is discouraged, but I know that I did highlight things  on documents such as bank statements - especially when cross-referencing.

If you have tax transcripts DO NOT include 1040s or W-2s.

We sailed through the ROC process with no RFEs.  Others will have different opinions on your questions.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

I included all pages of statements.  Didn't bother with phone bills since they're lengthy and didn't show both names anyhow.

I used the cover letter as my table of contents.

No I didn't highlight anything, there was nothing to highlight to be honest.  If you have to highlight things to show why they are relevant are they actually quality evidence? Quality over quantity.  

Only include tax transcripts OR tax returns. 

Photos as Sukie did, on regular paper. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
9 hours ago, Sukie said:

I printed photos on regular paper - about two per page.  ACCO fasteners are great!

Include ALL pages of statements, especially checking accounts.  If your financial co-mingling data is strong, then you might consider one statement per quarter, as we did.

I did a Table of Contents and I am glad I did, as it helped me organize all the paper. I had Section pages, and any explanations went on the section page.  For example, I did not have a lease or deed because my spouse purchased our house before we met.  I explained why there was no lease or deed, but added that I was including 3 years worth of homeowner’s insurance with both names.  The section page was a good place for explanations like this.

I have heard that highlighting is discouraged, but I know that I did highlight things  on documents such as bank statements - especially when cross-referencing.

If you have tax transcripts DO NOT include 1040s or W-2s.

We sailed through the ROC process with no RFEs.  Others will have different opinions on your questions.

Sukie in NY

Sukie -

If you have personal/individual accounts other than your joint accounts, would you need to include them?

Thank you,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The only reason to include individual accounts is if you are trying to show how the money flows...for example...

Case 1:  A has a checking account.  B has a separate checking account.  Both A and B sent a check every month to their landlord for 1/2 of the rent.  In this case, statements from both A and B should be sent with an explanation of how they pay their rent.  Substitute a mortgage payment in this scenario, if appropriate.

Case 2:  A and B have separate bank accounts, but they also have a joint checking account from which they pay their bills.  In this case, include statements from all 3 accounts with an explanation showing how the money gets from the individual accounts into the joint account.

Case 3:  A and B have a joint checking account.  Partner B has an individual account from which all money comes to pay for a hobby. (My Dad had an account to pay for all things related to his light airplane).  No need to include statements from this account as it does not represent the couple’s co-mingling of finances.

Remember - your documents are there to tell your story.  USCIS wants to see how you do life together, expecting you to share some of the financial load together.  If you have individual accounts and you are using them to pay for daily life, then include the statements with an explanation of how you use them.

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.