7 posts in this topic

Hi Friends,

After a long wait of nearly 150 days, my EAD+AP combo card arrived in the mail today. The date of filing all 3 (I-485, I-765 & I-131) were November 2017. I got the EAD card with a validity for 1 year (April 2018-April 2019). The Chicago office dates back to cases in 2015 and hence I am not sure with the ongoing delays happening, whether my Green Card interview would come up before the current EAD card expires or no. I would have to apply for an extension and hence had a few queries. Would appreciate if someone could help address them.

1. I understand the filing for an extension EAD is free if you have your I-485 ongoing, which link provides more information about it? (documents to be attached along etc etc)

2. SInce my EAD is valid till April 2018, when should I send across the application for EAD renewal? Does it have to be 180 days before expiration date? that would make it sometime around October 2018.

3. Would there be an automatic extension on the current EAD card or a new one is sent to us?

All this is only if there has been no update with my Green Card application. If that comes in time nothing like it. Thank you in advance and goodluck guys! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Auditya Devalla said:

Hi Friends,

After a long wait of nearly 150 days, my EAD+AP combo card arrived in the mail today. The date of filing all 3 (I-485, I-765 & I-131) were November 2017. I got the EAD card with a validity for 1 year (April 2018-April 2019). The Chicago office dates back to cases in 2015 and hence I am not sure with the ongoing delays happening, whether my Green Card interview would come up before the current EAD card expires or no. I would have to apply for an extension and hence had a few queries. Would appreciate if someone could help address them.

1. I understand the filing for an extension EAD is free if you have your I-485 ongoing, which link provides more information about it? (documents to be attached along etc etc)

2. SInce my EAD is valid till April 2018, when should I send across the application for EAD renewal? Does it have to be 180 days before expiration date? that would make it sometime around October 2018.

3. Would there be an automatic extension on the current EAD card or a new one is sent to us?

All this is only if there has been no update with my Green Card application. If that comes in time nothing like it. Thank you in advance and goodluck guys! 

Get it from the source--USCIS.

Read the whole page https://www.uscis.gov/i-485 including "special instructions" toward the bottom.

"Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485. If you are filing Form I-485 (or already filed a Form I-485..."

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Auditya Devalla said:

Hi Friends,

As of now, it takes approximately 6 months to renew EAD. I am going to send out my application for renewal in May. My EAD expires in September of 2018. To renew your EAD card you will need to feel out the applications for I-765 and I-131, exactly as you did when you applied the first time, and include a copy of your current EAD (front and back), a copy of acceptance notice for your pending I-485, passport size photos, form G-1145. You send the renewal application to Chicago lockbox. As soon as USCIS receives the application they will send you a notice of acceptance, in which it will be stated that your existing EAD granted 6 months extension. Your old EAD with this notice will work for you until your new combo card arrives. I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much JSWH for your reply. It surely helps. Just a quick question though, do I have to only fill the new I-765 and I-131 forms or also attach the bunch of documentation which I had sent previously along with it (proof of marriage,driving license etc etc). Can you briefly list down what all documents you sent to them in your package please?

Since I am within 180 days of my current EAD+AP card expiring (April 2019), can I send the paperwork for EAD+AP extension now to USCIS? How was your experience with the renewal process, how quickly did you hear back from them? Hoping to hear from you. God Bless!!

• 7 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, JSWH said:

As of now, it takes approximately 6 months to renew EAD. I am going to send out my application for renewal in May. My EAD expires in September of 2018. To renew your EAD card you will need to feel out the applications for I-765 and I-131, exactly as you did when you applied the first time, and include a copy of your current EAD (front and back), a copy of acceptance notice for your pending I-485, passport size photos, form G-1145. You send the renewal application to Chicago lockbox. As soon as USCIS receives the application they will send you a notice of acceptance, in which it will be stated that your existing EAD granted 6 months extension. Your old EAD with this notice will work for you until your new combo card arrives. I hope this helps.

Is this advice still valid for 2019 or has USCIS updated their policies?

Edited by barashka

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
On 5/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, barashka said:

Is this advice still valid for 2019 or has USCIS updated their policies?

I think this is still valid unless otherwise told, which I'm curious if it's the same or not.

Meanwhile, thank you JSWH!

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.