SandS

Can we interview in Paris if not a French resident?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi,

We are filing out k-1 , I-129F this coming week. I am filing the petition with the Nebraska Service Center for my fiance who is living in Paris, France but originally from Algeria. He has an Algerian passport. He went to France legally but had his residency request turned down by France. We are requesting the future interview be with the US Embassy in Paris even though he does not have residency there. I would appreciate any information. Has anyone been in this situation? Thanks

Sue

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe that residency in the country is a requirement of the Embassy or Consulate, they may just forward the case to Algeria.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

We are in the same situation as you, my fiance is also from Algeria, but he resides in China. You can still apply and he will interview in France. I contacted the US consulate in China and also contact USCIS before starting and was told that he doesnt have to be in his home country.

Good luck with your process.

White slip (not a bona fide relationship)K1

Return to Washington 12-24-07

Married 2/23/2008 In Hong Kong

Filed K3 4/28/2009 (my husband had some issues with his Chinese visa)

CSC received May 1, 09

NOA1 May 6, 2009 (received in mail on 5-8)

Sent I29 May 9th, Received May 11th

NOA1 for I129 May 18th, 09

Received in mail on May 26th

I-130 Touch 8/14/2009, approved 9/1/09, 1129 touched 9-1,2,3, approved the 1st.

NOA2 for I-129 not received

Hong Kong Embassy received it on Sept 14th, 09

Packet 3 mailed out on Sept 22,09

I130 at NVC now

Received email Sep 23 about electronic processing for CR1

Packet 3 mailed on Sep 22, received on October 5th

Mailed packet 3 back 10-9 to Hong Kong, awaiting packet 4

Packet 4 mailed 10-15, Interview set for Nov 10th

In AP a little over a month

Got approval notice Dec 17th

Dropped passport off on 12-21

Received visa 12/24.

Flew to St Louis 12/29, now home.

Timeline
We are in the same situation as you, my fiance is also from Algeria, but he resides in China. You can still apply and he will interview in France. I contacted the US consulate in China and also contact USCIS before starting and was told that he doesnt have to be in his home country.

Good luck with your process.

removed

Sue

Hi,

We are filing out k-1 , I-129F this coming week. I am filing the petition with the Nebraska Service Center for my fiance who is living in Paris, France but originally from Algeria. He has an Algerian passport. He went to France legally but had his residency request turned down by France. We are requesting the future interview be with the US Embassy in Paris even though he does not have residency there. I would appreciate any information. Has anyone been in this situation? Thanks

I was in the same situation as you. My husband was living in Paris, but he was not a resident. We went to the consulate MANY times and were told MANY times that they could not process our visa request. So, instead we went down to Algeria and filed DCF. Best decision we ever made. It took about a week to get approved and that was only because we had to fly back and forth from Oran to Algiers because they only had "interviews" (I wouldn't have even called it that.. more like small talk) on Sundays.

Edited by hollyw

Timeline
Hi,

I was in the same situation as you. My husband was living in Paris, but he was not a resident. We went to the consulate MANY times and were told MANY times that they could not process our visa request. So, instead we went down to Algeria and filed DCF. Best decision we ever made. It took about a week to get approved and that was only because we had to fly back and forth from Oran to Algiers because they only had "interviews" (I wouldn't have even called it that.. more like small talk) on Sundays.

Hio Holly,

Thanks for replying. We are not married yet so we are filling for a k-1 fiance visa. Do you know anyone who has done this? Congratulations for your success!!

Sue

Sue

Hi,

Hio Holly,

Thanks for replying. We are not married yet so we are filling for a k-1 fiance visa. Do you know anyone who has done this? Congratulations for your success!!

Sue

I remember a women on this board who's husband was from Algeria and illegally living in Spain (I think Madrid) and he was able to interview in Spain.

I will tell you that when we were trying to get information from the consulate in Paris my husband and I were not married yet. We were trying to file a K-1 visa. When that looked like it would be impossible we decided to get married at Le Marie du 15ème in Paris (the paperwork for that took longer than our visa process) and then that summer we went down to Algeria. If your husband does not have residency it is going to be virutally impossible to convince the consulate in Paris to handle your case. If you can get them to take it, it will more than likely be transferred to Algiers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey, I was in the same situation as you. My husband was living in Spain on an overstayed visa for abou 2 years. He did not have residency in Spain at the time. Pretty much everyone I spoke to (many immigration lawyers, the USCIS) told us that it would be impossible to get a visa. However, the Spanish Embassy in Madrid understood the situation, allowed us to interview there. They even waived the requirement for him to get a police certificate because the Spanish government does not issue certificates for people who do not have residency. We got our visa fairly quickly. So I guess my point is don't believe anyone until you talk to the people in France who will be issuing the visa. Our biggest concern was the police certificate, but I think that in France you can get the certifiate without having residency.

Also just wanted to note that my husband was very concerned about going back to Algeria until he had his "papers" in order. He has heard that if you overstay a visa to another country, when you come back to Algeria they will take away your passport for 5 years. That is why we decided to at least give it shot in Spain at first and it worked. I have spoken with many other people who say this is simply not true, and have entered in Algeria with no problem after a visa overstay, just wanted to let you know that is what I've heard.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Christina

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline
Hi,

Call attorneys and pay a consultation fee and ask

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Does anyone have any information about contacting the consulate (Paris) before they get your case from the NVC? I want to discuss the interview situation regarding not having residency in that country. Is this a good idea now or should I wait to discuss later?

Sue

Timeline
They have a phome number but you have to pay something like $15 to talk to someone, maybe it's worth the try. You'll find their number on their website.

Thanks very much! I appreciate any information on working with the Paris consulate.

Sue

They have a phome number but you have to pay something like $15 to talk to someone, maybe it's worth the try. You'll find their number on their website.

Thanks very much! I appreciate any information on working with the Paris consulate.

the sooner the better to get the information...my fiance is living in italy without residency, so my situation is very similar...we are going to have the interview in his home country, albania.

i definitely agree though...speak to the consulate before you draw any conclusions...i have heard that the embassy in italy will do the interview even if he is not legally residing there...when i emailed the consulate though, they told me no, that he has to be legal.

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

They also don't like to be called, they prefer that USC sends them a fax and they will call you back :whistle:

They were very unhelpful with my question... sounded like the only line they have read from the whole fax was the phone number :wacko:

Good luck with this one... French beaurocracy is famous!

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.