crumb143

Minimum Income Requirements Delay & Need for I-134

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiance (from Australia) and I have submitted an application for the I-129F Visa. My question pertains to minimum income requirements. Two years ago I started my own business and had virtually no income for 3 years . Recently I joined another firm and my salary is tied to the incremental revenue of the firm so my income has gone up but only very recently (probably at about $50k per year run rate currently and going higher).

So my questions I’m hoping someone can answer are:

1) At what point will in the process will we be notified if USCIS or NVC has identified an issue with my income? I read on this website that minimum income has to be proven at the “end of case processing”. Is that when they give is the NOA2 or is that when they send the file to the consulate or is it after my fiance goes for her interview?

2) What documentation will I have to provide to try and prove that I’m making enough? Can this be submitted before getting denied? I see there is a form I-134, should I have done this when submitting my case? (I didn’t read anything about it i the instructions for the I-129F.)

3) Any estimate of how long of delay appealing or adding this I-134 form this would cause? Any recommendation on the best course of action are much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, crumb143 said:

Hello,

My fiance (from Australia) and I have submitted an application for the I-129F Visa. My question pertains to minimum income requirements. Two years ago I started my own business and had virtually no income for 3 years . Recently I joined another firm and my salary is tied to the incremental revenue of the firm so my income has gone up but only very recently (probably at about $50k per year run rate currently and going higher).

So my questions I’m hoping someone can answer are:

1) At what point will in the process will we be notified if USCIS or NVC has identified an issue with my income? I read on this website that minimum income has to be proven at the “end of case processing”. Is that when they give is the NOA2 or is that when they send the file to the consulate or is it after my fiance goes for her interview?

2) What documentation will I have to provide to try and prove that I’m making enough? Can this be submitted before getting denied? I see there is a form I-134, should I have done this when submitting my case? (I didn’t read anything about it i the instructions for the I-129F.)

3) Any estimate of how long of delay appealing or adding this I-134 form this would cause? Any recommendation on the best course of action are much appreciated.

you have to prove enough income of 100%  of the poverty guideline for your household with a I-134 at the interview. And later with AOS with 125%

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/01/18/2018-00814/annual-update-of-the-hhs-poverty-guidelines

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
59 minutes ago, crumb143 said:

Your fiance will either have to mail the I-134 form to the US embassy in Australia (packet 3) or take it to the interview.  But this will not be until after NOA2, and after the NVC sends the case to Australia.

See above for dates.  Letter from your employer stating permanent position and salary are good starting point.  Copies of recent paystubs will also help.

Don't do anything now.  Wait and submit the I-134 plus above documentation at the appropriate time described above.

For a K-1 visa, neither USCIS nor NVC will look at your financial situation. Only the CO looks at it when the I-134 is presented at the embassy stage.

Later, when you file for AOS, USCIS will look at it with the I-864 that gets submitted.

Just to be clear....are you currently self employed or are you an employee of the company? The reason I ask is because if you're an employee, then you're current income can be shown via pay stubs and an employment letter. If you're self-employed, then your current income will be demonstrated via your tax returns.

The most recent year's tax return is required either way, but the significance of it will differ depending on your situation.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Thanks geowrian. 

I think technically i'm an independent consultant to the company. Although I have an equity interest in the company, and my earnings are tied to the companies incremental revenue in a rather complex formula. So what I have is bank deposits from the company into my account and an operating agreement with the company that lays out that I am a partner in the business. Unfortunately my tax returns will really only reflect the equity compensation income that I earned last year. 

15 hours ago, Jeff_9802 said:

Thanks Jeff! 

In your experience does bringing this form delay the case processing time significantly? We are considering having my fiance move to England (where she is also a citizen) and trying to get her consular processing done there so we can be closer but I'm concerned that this minimum income issue in conjunction with changing the consular location might create and really big delay. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
20 minutes ago, crumb143 said:

In your experience does bringing this form delay the case processing time significantly? 

I don't understand the question, because you cannot send the form anywhere other than the US embassy in whatever country your fiance is located.  And you cannot mail the form before the US embassy receives your case, or they will not know what to do with it.

I don't know anything about changing countries.  I would think it would cause a delay, but you probably need to talk with someone who has done this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.