faith7772

K1-Fiance Visa Interview

21 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

Nope, totally wrong. In Islam you can meet him but with at least one of your family members with you (your mahram) . Aside from that, in Islam, it required you to meet your future wife/husband before get married too. It is the use of engagament. And if you said you can't  meet him because of religion issue,, in Islam, he should come and meet your family to ask their permission to marry you. you can file for exemption, but I don't think you will get it. 

thank you and well noted 

2 hours ago, JFH said:

As the wife of a felon, my advice is that you will have far more chance of success with a spouse visa. In other words, marry first, then file. 

Criminal pasts of petitioners are not as heavily scrutinised for spousal visas as they are for fiancé visas because USCIS takes the stance that if you have got to the stage of marrying him already then presumably you are OK with his crimes. There are some crimes that exclude USCs from petitioning - even for their spouses. There is also the practical side of the spousal visa that you will be able to work immediately. This may be necessary - especially if he struggles to find work. My husband did prison time in the 1990s and still faces challenges when it comes to employment so it will be a hundred times harder for someone fresh out of the joint. 

Now, I'm the last person to criticize a person's choice of partner. Many people thought I needed my head testing when they found out I was dating a man with a criminal record. And his record is old - way before I knew him. But, you have to have a word with yourself. Prison is an inhumane place that breeds anger, violence, resentment, aggression, and a survival mentality. You are planning on not only taking your children to the other side of the world to a place they know nothing about, away from their friends, relatives, home, school, grandparents, culture and more to live with a man who has spent the last x years living in a gladiator training camp that neither you nor the children have met before. I'm guessing he's in Angola? That is one of the most violent and dangerous prisons in the country. In one year alone there were almost 1400 assaults that required medical treatment. Even the calmest, most patient man will be turned into a savage animal there.

My advice, for what it's worth... wait for him to be released and complete parole. Make him prove to you that he can hold down a job to provide for you. Unfortunately criminality is difficult to shake off and when money is low they often turn to the only way they know to make money and it ain't pretty. My husband was in for theft and he tells me that he still feels tempted from time to time to steal something that he can't afford. They need to completely re-program their thought processes. This man isn't Angola for being late for work. He must have committed a pretty heinous crime. Is this really want you want as a role model for your children? 

If he he truly loves you, and you truly love him, you'll wait. You will wait for him to sort himself out and get back to being who he needs to be before you force fatherhood and immigration on him. This process is stressful enough as it is, let alone someone who is not used to real life. 

Thank you JFH ...and that is what we are trying to do NOW....Wait for him to get out and get released from the prison and gets a job and hes gonna 2 job to support me and my 2 kids ....we have been together for 16 months now...and God willing he will be out soon this year 2018...we got it all planned already and we will wait for at least 6 months after he gets out and get a stable job and  proof of incomes or perhaps 1 whole year of proof of incomes then we will proceed for the fiance visa....because I can see there is a minimum requirement for the poverty guideline for georgia of total 4 household is $38000 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Thread back open; two posts unnecessarily argumentative in nature removed along with posts quoting.  Appropriate action will be taken for similar posts in the future.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic
  • Ryan H unlocked this topic
7 hours ago, roziesami said:

Thank you JFH ...and that is what we are trying to do NOW....Wait for him to get out and get released from the prison and gets a job and hes gonna 2 job to support me and my 2 kids ....we have been together for 16 months now...and God willing he will be out soon this year 2018...we got it all planned already and we will wait for at least 6 months after he gets out and get a stable job and  proof of incomes or perhaps 1 whole year of proof of incomes then we will proceed for the fiance visa....because I can see there is a minimum requirement for the poverty guideline for georgia of total 4 household is $38000 

Oh dear...proof of income is the least of your worries. Stop focusing on the paperwork requirements and focus on the requirements you have for a stepfather to your children and a husband for you. This man’s actions have been deemed bad enough that it was felt necessary to remove him from society for at least a few years and to remove all normal life from him. Going to prison isn’t like going on vacation and you come back like you never left. I promise you he will struggle to function in society at first. It will take him years. And have you looked into recidivism rates for his crime? You think he will be able to petition for you within 6 months of the gate? Unless he has family members giving him a job it’s doubtful he willl was in stable employment earning anything more than minimum wage at that stage. But my concern is more for his mental state. I’m not kidding when I tell you prison messes with your head. You might want to browse online to find forums for people and their families adjusting to life post-incarceration. It’s not just about how determined he is to do well, it’s more about how society will reject him over and over and over again. 

Also, check the terms of his parole. If his crime was violent there is a good chance he won’t be allowed to have minors living in the same residence unless they are his biological children. That doesn’t just apply to people who committed crimes against children. Depending on the state, it can apply to all violent crimes. 

We are wandering off topic here but there are are some great resources out there. I strongly urge you to study the effects of prolonged incarceration and read personal stories of those who have been through it and how difficult it was in the initial post-release years. Get that taken care of before you even look at the K-1 paperwork. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 hours ago, JFH said:

Oh dear...proof of income is the least of your worries. Stop focusing on the paperwork requirements and focus on the requirements you have for a stepfather to your children and a husband for you. This man’s actions have been deemed bad enough that it was felt necessary to remove him from society for at least a few years and to remove all normal life from him. Going to prison isn’t like going on vacation and you come back like you never left. I promise you he will struggle to function in society at first. It will take him years. And have you looked into recidivism rates for his crime? You think he will be able to petition for you within 6 months of the gate? Unless he has family members giving him a job it’s doubtful he willl was in stable employment earning anything more than minimum wage at that stage. But my concern is more for his mental state. I’m not kidding when I tell you prison messes with your head. You might want to browse online to find forums for people and their families adjusting to life post-incarceration. It’s not just about how determined he is to do well, it’s more about how society will reject him over and over and over again. 

Also, check the terms of his parole. If his crime was violent there is a good chance he won’t be allowed to have minors living in the same residence unless they are his biological children. That doesn’t just apply to people who committed crimes against children. Depending on the state, it can apply to all violent crimes. 

We are wandering off topic here but there are are some great resources out there. I strongly urge you to study the effects of prolonged incarceration and read personal stories of those who have been through it and how difficult it was in the initial post-release years. Get that taken care of before you even look at the K-1 paperwork. 

Thank you and well noted.......We do plan, but God is the best planner and best provider of all....We will always have faith in God and we will  never stop praying and asking for HIS help and ease everything ameen ameen ameen....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.