swiss polar bear

CA: Driving with Learners Permit

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hello

I passed my written test today and got a learners permit issued. I was told, that my foreign drivers license is no longer valid now and I am not allowed to drive by myself any longer. Is that correct? Until yesterday I have been driving for more than 20 years and now suddenly I am no longer allowed to drive by myself? Hard to believe... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

a "permit"  is to learn to drive, and with a permit, you can only drive with an adult licensed driver with you.  However, if you are a good driver and passed you written, then just go and take your road test and get your license.    I lost my license  when I was young, then moved to Cal, and just found someone to loan me their car and took the road test, not a big deal. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Thanks. Yes, of course. Made my appointment right away. May 22 is the earliest I get. Until then I am stuck...

10 hours ago, swiss polar bear said:

Hello

I passed my written test today and got a learners permit issued. I was told, that my foreign drivers license is no longer valid now and I am not allowed to drive by myself any longer. Is that correct? Until yesterday I have been driving for more than 20 years and now suddenly I am no longer allowed to drive by myself? Hard to believe... 

CA seems to be inconsistent in this. We had this discussion here a while ago. Some people had to go through what you did, others like me were issued a temporary driver license (NOT a learner permit) that we could use along with our foreign license until we took the behind the wheel test and got a proper CA driver license. I’m not sure if it’s random or geographical, or just that some DMV employees are better informed than others... I do know that every expat I personally know in the town we live (we don’t have our own dmv and people use any of 4 DMVs in easy reach) have all had the same experience. However I also recall my dmv almost issued me a learners and then the person said “oh wait you have a foreign license, you can drive on your own” and gave me the temp license instead, so I do know specifically that there is a difference. But if you were actually told that your foreign license is not valid you were specifically told exactly the opposite of me! It’s bizarre.  I’d say just book your behind the wheel test for as soon as you can...good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In California driving is not a right, it is a privilege. As such, it goes by their rules, whoever they allow driving in California, whether it seems fair or not.

If you have a license to drive somewhere else, they are not prohibiting you from driving there.

A lot of California DMV rules seem to be illogical. Unfortunately we have to play by their rules.

6 minutes ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

In California driving is not a right, it is a privilege. As such, it goes by their rules, whoever they allow driving in California, whether it seems fair or not.

If you have a license to drive somewhere else, they are not prohibiting you from driving there.

A lot of California DMV rules seem to be illogical. Unfortunately we have to play by their rules.

I don’t think the actual issue is fair or unfair (although concede that was the gist of the first post) but that the rules seem arbitrarily and inconsistently applied by different DMVs.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

VEHICLE CODE, Section 12505.(c):

Any person entitled to an exemption under Section 12502, 12503, or 12504 may operate a motor vehicle in this state for not to exceed 10 days from the date he or she establishes residence in this state, except that a person shall not operate a motor vehicle for employment in this state after establishing residency without first obtaining a license from the department.

7 hours ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

VEHICLE CODE, Section 12505.(c):

Any person entitled to an exemption under Section 12502, 12503, or 12504 may operate a motor vehicle in this state for not to exceed 10 days from the date he or she establishes residence in this state, except that a person shall not operate a motor vehicle for employment in this state after establishing residency without first obtaining a license from the department.

It’s impossible to get a driver license appointment within 10 days though. I spent a couple of months driving on my foreign license with a copy of my appointment confirmation in case I got a traffic stop. I didn’t get stopped but I know others who did in a similar situation and it wasn’t an issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.