LLG

Study or Work?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I moved here in the US (Maui, HI) from the Philippines with my parents 6 months ago and until now I don't really know what to do to get into the field that I wanted. I graduated in college with a Bachelor's Degree of Computer Science and I've already worked professionally for almost 4 years back there. I've tried searching all over the internet on the job that I wanted on this state but there's no luck.  Currently, I'm working in a restaurant as a Bus-help because this job gives more money but honestly speaking I don't really liked it.

Any advice if should I study again or Can I possibly work on the same field even if I didn't get my degree here in the US?

Thanks in advance! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So when you said you have been searching on the job you wanted... Does that mean you searched for information if your bachelors from the Philippines would be enough for you to get a job here or do you mean you applied for jobs? I don't see a reason why your Bachelors wouldn't be enough for you to get a job here so if you haven't already I recommend applying to jobs in your field.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, LLG said:

Hi,

I moved here in the US (Maui, HI) from the Philippines with my parents 6 months ago and until now I don't really know what to do to get into the field that I wanted. I graduated in college with a Bachelor's Degree of Computer Science and I've already worked professionally for almost 4 years back there. I've tried searching all over the internet on the job that I wanted on this state but there's no luck.  Currently, I'm working in a restaurant as a Bus-help because this job gives more money but honestly speaking I don't really liked it.

Any advice if should I study again or Can I possibly work on the same field even if I didn't get my degree here in the US?

Thanks in advance! 

If you've already been granted a greencard then you won't have any problems looking for work, as long as you are qualified for it.  Have you tried checking job sites. All job sites I've seen have always included all criteria needed. It would just depend on your qualifications for it. 

TJ and Eiy
12-16-2014 Engaged
02-09-2015 I29F Sent via FedEx
02-10-2015 I29F Received in Lewisville,Texas
02-12-2015 NOA1 Electronic notification
02-20-2015 NOA1 Hardcopy received
03-05-2015 NOA2 Electronic notification
03-09-2015 NOA2 Hardcopy received
03-19-2015 NVC received
03-25-2015 London Consulate received
03-27-2015 Packet 3 received
04-09-2015 Medical
04-23-2015 Interview letter received
05-18-2015 Interview - Approved!
06-01-2015 Received Email, Visa in Transit
06-02-2015 Visa on hand [:dancing:] [:dancing:]

AOS JOURNEY

06/14/2015: POE LAX

06/20/2015: Wedding

07/27/2015: Sent AOS, EAD, AP

07/28/2015: Checked encashed; received electronic notificaton of EAD, AP

07/30/2015: Received electronic notification NOA1 AOS

08/03/2015: Received hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/24/2015: Received our marriage certificate (AFTER MORE THAN 8 WEEKS) :cry:

09/03/2015: Service request for Biometrics appointment letter done

10/03/2015: Electronic notification of AP approved

10/03/2015: Electronic notification of name changed update for EAD

10/05/2015: still no biometrics appointment letter !!Applied for 2nd service request :crying: :crying: Received electronic notification of EAD approval

10/13/2015: Received biometrics appointment letter!! Finally!!

10/22/2015: Biometrics appointment :dancing:

10/25/2015: Combo Card in production

10/28/2015: Combo Card mailed

10/31/2015: Combo card in hand

11/17/2015: 2nd Biometrics appointment (2nd fingerprinting)

11/28/2015: Received NPIW letter dated 11/24/15 ( and the perennial waiting continues...)

I find it difficult to believe there are no computer related jobs in Maui, but then again it’s not exactly a tech center. Have you considered moving to where the jobs are?

Timeline
22 hours ago, Unidentified said:

So when you said you have been searching on the job you wanted... Does that mean you searched for information if your bachelors from the Philippines would be enough for you to get a job here or do you mean you applied for jobs? I don't see a reason why your Bachelors wouldn't be enough for you to get a job here so if you haven't already I recommend applying to jobs in your field.

I've tried applying for jobs that requires a Bachelor's Degree of Computer Science but I always fail to get to the interview even If the position that I applied for was an entry level position. Maybe that made me think that I might need a College degree here in the US.

Thanks you and have a great day!

Edited by LLG

Timeline
21 hours ago, bonzaigirl said:

If you've already been granted a greencard then you won't have any problems looking for work, as long as you are qualified for it.  Have you tried checking job sites. All job sites I've seen have always included all criteria needed. It would just depend on your qualifications for it. 

Yeah, I've tried checking different job sites but I didn't see computer programming or web development jobs here in Maui, HI. 

Thanks and have a nice day!

Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I find it difficult to believe there are no computer related jobs in Maui, but then again it’s not exactly a tech center. Have you considered moving to where the jobs are?

There are few computer related jobs here in Maui, HI but it's not on the field that I'm pursuing to be specific Computer Programming/Website Development/Software Engineer. What do you mean moving? Like to other states? I would like to do that but I'm not yet too familiar how things work here in the US.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

My husband has graduate qualifications and many years of experience in avionics experience... it took him over 9 months of applying to every job he saw advertised that was in his field before he got an interview and then the job offer.. Need to keep applying 

Wow! That's great. Yeah, maybe I'll just keep on trying for now. Thanks!

Have a great day!

3 hours ago, LLG said:

There are few computer related jobs here in Maui, HI but it's not on the field that I'm pursuing to be specific Computer Programming/Website Development/Software Engineer. What do you mean moving? Like to other states? I would like to do that but I'm not yet too familiar how things work here in the US.

Well, yes. Maui’s main businesses are tourism related so it’s unlikely you’re going to find an awful lot available in your specific field, but there are tons and tons of jobs like this available in mainland USA (possibly some on Oahu which is closer to where you are too, not sure). You have a green card, you can live anywhere in the US you choose.

Example: nearly 70000 jobs listed for software developer just on one site if you leave it to anywhere in the US https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=software+developer&l=

incidentally, if you haven’t done so yet, I  suggest you browse the internet to see what a typical structure of a US resume is,and how to word a cover letter. It can be very different to other countries, and if you don’t do it the usual way that could also be a reason your applications are getting rejected before interview stage. Though, I think the main reason is that you are in the wrong part of the country for the work you want to do.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 3/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, LLG said:

I've tried applying for jobs that requires a Bachelor's Degree of Computer Science but I always fail to get to the interview even If the position that I applied for was an entry level position. Maybe that made me think that I might need a College degree here in the US.

Thanks you and have a great day!

Just a suggestion and if you can afford it - invest to further your education here in the US. Get certified (A+, Network+ or Cisco certified, etc). Move to a place where you can make use of your degree, like in the mainland. Maui is not a place for geeks - its a tourism/hospitality industry area. Even if there are IT jobs, it maybe limited and the competition is stiff plus the salary is not lucrative. Competition is tough specially one country is churning programmers and IT scientists like crazy and making them accept cheap salary to start. There are 50 states, if you cannot make it there, there are 49 more. Just a thought.

Timeline
13 hours ago, joglen1210 said:

Just a suggestion and if you can afford it - invest to further your education here in the US. Get certified (A+, Network+ or Cisco certified, etc). Move to a place where you can make use of your degree, like in the mainland. Maui is not a place for geeks - its a tourism/hospitality industry area. Even if there are IT jobs, it maybe limited and the competition is stiff plus the salary is not lucrative. Competition is tough specially one country is churning programmers and IT scientists like crazy and making them accept cheap salary to start. There are 50 states, if you cannot make it there, there are 49 more. Just a thought.

I know right! Hotels are everywhere in this place. lol. :)  Anyway, I'll definitely keep this in mind :) Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it :)

Timeline
13 hours ago, LLG said:

I know right! Hotels are everywhere in this place. lol. :)  Anyway, I'll definitely keep this in mind :) Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it :)

What line of IT are you in? Programmer? Network Engineer, Database?? I am in the East Coast, in the Tech Corridor

15 minutes ago, joglen1210 said:

What line of IT are you in? Programmer? Network Engineer, Database?? I am in the East Coast, in the Tech Corridor

OP did say

On 25/03/2018 at 2:03 PM, LLG said:

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP did say

Computer programming is too generic. What I mean is his experience. If he is an expert on those 3 fields, I don't see any reason why he would not be hired easily. The first thing he needs to put in his resume is his specialty AND experience. If you are a JAVA programmer that is in high demand or maybe a Web Applications Developer, those kinds of specialty.

Edited by joglen1210

Timeline
On 3/24/2018 at 6:24 PM, LLG said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance! 

Also, fyi, several IT companies are gov't contractors - most of them requires security clearance for their employees. some company will sponsor you to get you a clearance, but most of them seek former defense contractor employees who have an active clearance. i have friends who started to work for Oracle, Salesforce or Verisign and they were sponsored the basic (public trust) clearance after a few years. Just continue to search and put yourself in the door. You are in high demand field.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.