Ck207

N400 Seattle (merged)

3,836 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
12 hours ago, abccba said:

Thanks for the information! How long does it usually take to get the name change certificate? Would it impact the interview if I apply for name change now and the certificate doesn't arrive before the interview? When you said "upload the certificate to the USCIS account", does it mean the account where I applied for N-400 online? If the name change does complete before the interview, do I need to notify USCIS in any way other than uploading the certificate (e.g. like going to the USCIS web site for address change)?

If you change your name in a WA court, you should get a certified copy of your name change order at your hearing. I would take a copy of your name change order with you to the interview, and the officer can scan it in and update your application - you can upload it too, but I don't think they're even obligated to look at anything you upload there after your application is accepted.

19 hours ago, abccba said:

Thanks for the information! How long does it usually take to get the name change certificate? Would it impact the interview if I apply for name change now and the certificate doesn't arrive before the interview? When you said "upload the certificate to the USCIS account", does it mean the account where I applied for N-400 online? If the name change does complete before the interview, do I need to notify USCIS in any way other than uploading the certificate (e.g. like going to the USCIS web site for address change)?

A few thoughts, just remember that we're all random people from the internet cracking anecdotes. So triple check everything before you act on it.

If you show up to the Seattle Municipal Court early in the day (before 10am people say) and pay in cash, you're going to get the same day hearing and will get the certificate of name change right there.

I went in at 8:45 AM with the form filled in and $220 in cash (fees and 3 copies) and got a hearing scheduled for 1:15 PM. Both the morning and afternoon ones took <10 minutes total. Super easy. Got the certificate printed out right there and 3 copies I requested.

"Upload to the account" means log into your myUSCIS account, go to the Documents tab and click the Upload button. My officer asked for some supporting documents during the interview and was very pleased by the fact that I uploaded a bunch of things beforehand so she didn't have to deal with it.

I don't think the USCIS cares about your name as long as you fully disclose what the situation is. But there should not be such thing as "if something doesn't arrive by a certain date" because name change is effectively instant if you live in King County and go to the Seattle Court.

Edited by nikgon

1 hour ago, nikgon said:

People say expedited processing currently takes 4-6 weeks. (It's possible that they don't even differentiate between the two anymore, but who knows. I paid for the expedited anyway with the express shipping.)

Thanks @nikgon I am sure they will differentiate, expedited was not available few months ago due to COVID. I applied for kids back in Nov, and got it in 8 weeks, and expedited was not available option. 4-6 weeks is the standard processing, but it used to only take 1-2 weeks before COVID in real. Let's see how this will work out for you. Please, keep us updated as I am really interested to know if I should use expedited or not. 

I went to the district court to change my legal name and got the certificate on the same day. My understanding is, I should also change the name on social security card and driver's license. It looks like social security administration needs original documents (e.g. green card) or certified copies. What would be the best order of move before my naturalization interview which is scheduled at the end of April? If you've done the name change on social security card and driver's license before the naturalization interview, please help share your experience. Another question is, do I need to change the name on my green card before the interview? Thanks!

@abccba I can answer that you don’t need to change your name on your green card before the interview. The social security administration will probably accept the certificate along with your green card. After getting married I went to change my name with my green card in my maiden name and the marriage certificate and they changed my name, no problem.

6 minutes ago, GiannaGigi said:

@abccba I can answer that you don’t need to change your name on your green card before the interview. The social security administration will probably accept the certificate along with your green card. After getting married I went to change my name with my green card in my maiden name and the marriage certificate and they changed my name, no problem.

I called the local SSA office. The staff said the turn-around time to receive the documents back is about 6 to 8 weeks. It doesn't sound feasible for me to do the name change on social secure card before the naturalization interview.

3 hours ago, abccba said:

I called the local SSA office. The staff said the turn-around time to receive the documents back is about 6 to 8 weeks. It doesn't sound feasible for me to do the name change on social secure card before the naturalization interview.

They give you a letter you can use until you have your new card. 

1 minute ago, TheDude123 said:

Is the website down to everyone or this is personal? did I check too often? 

After login I am getting the below error, both my Mobile and PC. 

500 Error
We're sorry, something went wrong.
The page you are looking for may not exist or is temporarily unavailable.

I just checked to put your mind at ease, looks like the site is down...not just you 🙂

On 3/31/2021 at 8:20 AM, TamHMB said:

There is something coming to my main box this Friday from USCIS. But I did not see anything reflect on the website. It's said USCIS - Lee's Summit Production facility did anyone receive anything lately? 

I applied May 2020

I got my biometric reused Dec 14th 2020

My case estimation is sep 2021 

@TamHMB - Did you receive the mail yet?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.