CoffeeVegan

Detroit N400 filers

926 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I filed on Feb 16th online and just today got notified that my biometrics appointment has been scheduled. It does not show up in my docs tab yet.

N-400

Feb 16 2019: applied online

Feb 23 2019: biometrics scheduled (online notification)

Mar 15 2019: biometrics done

April 23 2019: Interview has been scheduled (online notice)

May 30 2019: Interview - approved!

July 15 2019: Oath Ceremony (rescheduled date)

Done! Thanks, visajourney, you have been a great help!

Timeline

Question - I have read that the Detroit Field Office does not allow walk-ins. Is that correct or is it possible to do a walk-in for biometrics before the actual appointment when you have the appointment letter?

N-400

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I'm going for my citizenship interview today at 1:30pm!  I'm not really nervous. Luckily, as a Canadian, I speak English as my first language and I grew up right across from Detroit in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  So, I know a lot about the U.S. and grew up watching tv stations broadcast from Detroit. I'm also very much into U.S. politics so, those questions for my citizenship test, should be a breeze.  And, a lot of the other stuff is just common sense.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to ask for an Oath Ceremony as soon as possible and, tell them I'm willing to drive anywhere within a 3 hour drive radius?  We'll see. I'll post again after my interview/test.   Right now I want to look up and see what good restaurants there are in the Detroit area, for after my interview! LOL :)   I was even thinking of driving over the border to Windsor to visit my dad and maybe eat over there. There's one big difference between the egg rolls served at Chinese restaurants and buffets between the U.S. and Canada.....  I like the Canadian version because they use bean sprouts in their egg rolls. In the U.S. egg rolls mostly have chopped cabbage in them and, aren't as good (in my opinion). :)  

As for your question @Given2Fly I am somewhat doubtful they will just let you do a walk-in for biometrics. Their offices are pretty busy and operate on tight schedules. So, my guess is that just showing up without an appointment (even if you have your letter), they might get upset about it. I would try calling them first.

Timeline
1 hour ago, stormnut42 said:

Well, I'm going for my citizenship interview today at 1:30pm!  I'm not really nervous. Luckily, as a Canadian, I speak English as my first language and I grew up right across from Detroit in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  So, I know a lot about the U.S. and grew up watching tv stations broadcast from Detroit. I'm also very much into U.S. politics so, those questions for my citizenship test, should be a breeze.  And, a lot of the other stuff is just common sense.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to ask for an Oath Ceremony as soon as possible and, tell them I'm willing to drive anywhere within a 3 hour drive radius?  We'll see. I'll post again after my interview/test.   Right now I want to look up and see what good restaurants there are in the Detroit area, for after my interview! LOL :)   I was even thinking of driving over the border to Windsor to visit my dad and maybe eat over there. There's one big difference between the egg rolls served at Chinese restaurants and buffets between the U.S. and Canada.....  I like the Canadian version because they use bean sprouts in their egg rolls. In the U.S. egg rolls mostly have chopped cabbage in them and, aren't as good (in my opinion). :)  

As for your question @Given2Fly I am somewhat doubtful they will just let you do a walk-in for biometrics. Their offices are pretty busy and operate on tight schedules. So, my guess is that just showing up without an appointment (even if you have your letter), they might get upset about it. I would try calling them first.

Thanks, I guess I will just go to my regular appointment then. Good to know about the eggroll difference - in Germany they put sprouts in as well, and I like that too.

Good luck for your interview!!

Edited by Given2Fly

N-400

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everyone.

As everybody else here I applied online for citizenship   based on the 5 year period of time as permanent resident . My  application was very easy .  I hope i can get my bio metrics appointment soon! . 

02.27.2019 Filed N-400 Online

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, stormnut42 said:

best of luck!!! let me know how it goes :)

I-751 (ROC) Approved

08.18.2018 I-751 extended for 18 months (through October 2019)

04.24.2019 Combo Interview (with N-400) approved

N-400 Approved

01.01.2019 Qualified for N-400 application

01.02.2019 Filed N-400 Online

01.22.2019 Biometrics Appointment

03.18.2019 Interview Scheduled (USCIS text notification & appointment letter online)

04.24.2019 Combo Interview (with ROC) approved

05.16.2019 Oath Ceremony

4 hours ago, Given2Fly said:

Question - I have read that the Detroit Field Office does not allow walk-ins. Is that correct or is it possible to do a walk-in for biometrics before the actual appointment when you have the appointment letter?

I tried but they did not let me.

The lady inside the waiting room was not happy with my request but she asked the operator and told me NO.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, is63 said:

I tried but they did not let me.

The lady inside the waiting room was not happy with my request but she asked the operator and told me NO.

Thank you for the info! I will wait until my appointment then.

N-400

Timeline

Got to the Detroit field office right at 1pm and my interview was scheduled for 1:30pm.  We went through the metal detectors but, forgot that our heated jackets have batteries in them. So, they made my spouse take the batteries back to the car. I showed my interview notice and went and sat down. About 1 minute later I was called up where two guys were working. I sat down and he wanted my interview letter and my Greencard. He checked those and then took my finger-prints from each of my index fingers.  Then, he stapled a number to my interview schedule and told me to sit in section 2. So, I sat there and waited for about 10 minutes. Then, I went up to window #6. The lady said this is where my test would take place. She told me to stand up again, raise my right hand and I had to take an oath to tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth (I noticed there was no "so help me God" at the end. Oh well).

Then, she told me that she would start with the English test. I had to look at the iPad and a white screen came up with a sentence. Ironically, it said "What country is to the north of the U.S.?"  So, I read that. Then, it switched to some blank lines and she said I would have to write that sentence but, be careful not to touch the screen with my fingers. I took the stylus and awkwardly wrote out the sentence, stopping after a few seconds and asking if I was ok to write or did I have to print. She said she didn't care, as long as she could read it. Then, she said she would start the government questions (civics test).  She said she would ask up to 10 questions and that I would have to get 6 correct, to pass.   Here were my 6 questions:

1.  Name one thing Abraham Lincoln did? (I said - Freed the slaves).

2. Who is the current president of the United States? (I said - An orange-faced clown. LOL No. I actually said - Donald J. Trump).

3. Who is the vice president of the United States? (I said - Mike Pence).

4. Who was president during the depression and World War II? (I said - Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  She got confused when I used his middle name and asked me to say the name again. So, I just said Franklin Roosevelt.  She was typing in answers and probably didn't know how to spell Delano! LOL)

5. Which ocean is to the east of the United States, east coast? (I said - Atlantic).

6. Who were the people in the U.S. before Europeans came here? (I said - Native Americans. Indians.)

She stopped asking questions and said I passed. She then told me to sit in section #3 and wait for my name to be called. I was pretty shocked that the test portion was done at the windows and not in the back rooms like when I had my Greencard interview.  We waited like 15 or 20 minutes before my name was called. 😴  I could hear other people taking their tests at the different numbered windows. But, one guy got had his actual citizenship interview right at the window. I could hear hear asking the questions on the n400 form. I thought he was going to fail his interview at one point, because he didn't seem to understand the question about if he's been paying his taxes since living in the U.S. as a Permanent Resident. First he was saying "No."  Then he was saying he applied for taxes or something. At one point, she asked if he understood the question. I think he eventually understood and finished the interview. 

I got called and my spouse came to the door to go to the back rooms. I asked if he could join me but, they didn't allow it!  I was surprised!  Oh! And, during our wait in section #3, one of the security ladies walked around and called everyone's attention to her and told us to turn off our cell phones. She did that like 3 times!!! The final time, she said that if your cell phone is on and you go to the back rooms for your interview, they can terminate the interview! 

I followed the lady to a small office, not far from where I had my Greencard interview. She asked me for my interview letter and Greencard. Then, she said I could lay out all the other documentation I brought (my passport, my spouse's birth certificate and our marriage certificate). She asked for my full name, said I passed my test and congratulated me.  Then, she was going over my n400 on her computer. She said the computers are weird and she had to re-enter some information. She reassured me I didn't do anything wrong on my application and it was just their software or something. Then, she asked me all those silly questions from the n400 form, like.... "Do you plan to overthrow the U.S. government?"  (I almost wanted to say Trump is doing a pretty good job of destroying it now!)  She confirmed my address and updated my employment status.  Then, she had me write my signature like 3 different times on an iPad at her desk. One of the times was after a display came up and she said that's what will appear on my Naturalization Certificate. 

After some more typing, she said that my case status should update shortly and that I am now in line to be scheduled for my Oat Ceremony.  I asked her if we can choose where to have it. She said the computer takes your name from a list of hundreds of people and puts you in the soonest ceremony according to where you live. She told me that mine will be somewhere here on the west side of Michigan. She said it might take a little longer than east side ceremonies. She said it might even be a small ceremony presided over by a judge in a courthouse. She then told me I was done and walked me back out to the waiting area. We went back to our car and started looking for a place to eat. About 2 minutes after I got in the car, I got an e-mail saying my immigration status has been updated. It is now saying "In line to be scheduled for Oat Ceremony."  I was like.... Wow! That was fast. So, hopefully that doesn't take too long.  We ended up going to eat Greek food in Greek Town at a place called - The Greek. It was pretty good! We both got gyro plates.  Then, it was back on the road for our 2 hour drive back to Battle Creek.  

I'll update when I find out when my Oath Ceremony is scheduled.

Oath Ceremony.jpg

Edited by stormnut42

9 minutes ago, stormnut42 said:

Got to the Detroit field office right at 1pm and my interview was scheduled for 1:30pm.  We went through the metal detectors but, forgot that our heated jackets have batteries in them. So, they made my spouse take the batteries back to the car. I showed my interview notice and went and sat down. About 1 minute later I was called up where two guys were working. I sat down and he wanted my interview letter and my Greencard. He checked those and then took my finger-prints from each of my index fingers.  Then, he stapled a number to my interview schedule and told me to sit in section 2. So, I sat there and waited for about 10 minutes. Then, I went up to window #6. The lady said this is where my test would take place. She told me to stand up again, raise my right hand and I had to take an oath to tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth (I noticed there was no "so help me God" at the end. Oh well).

Then, she told me that she would start with the English test. I had to look at the iPad and a white screen came up with a sentence. Ironically, it said "What country is to the north of the U.S.?"  So, I read that. Then, it switched to some blank lines and she said I would have to write that sentence but, be careful not to touch the screen with my fingers. I took the stylus and awkwardly wrote out the sentence, stopping after a few seconds and asking if I was ok to write or did I have to print. She said she didn't care, as long as she could read it. Then, she said she would start the government questions (civics test).  She said she would ask up to 10 questions and that I would have to get 6 correct, to pass.   Here were my 6 questions:

2. Who is the current president of the United States? (I said - An orange-faced clown. LOL No. I actually said - Donald J. Trump).

4. Who was president during the depression and World War II? (I said - Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  She got confused when I used his middle name and asked me to say the name again. So, I just said Franklin Roosevelt.  She was typing in answers and probably didn't know how to spell Delano! LOL)

5. Which ocean is to the east of the United States, east coast? (I said - Atlantic).

6. Who were the people in the U.S. before Europeans came here? (I said - Native Americans. Indians.)

She stopped asking questions and said I passed. She then told me to sit in section #3 and wait for my name to be called. I was pretty shocked that the test portion was done at the windows and not in the back rooms like when I had my Greencard interview.  We waited like 15 or 20 minutes before my name was called. 😴  I could hear other people taking their tests at the different numbered windows. But, one guy got had his actual citizenship interview right at the window. I could hear hear asking the questions on the n400 form. I thought he was going to fail his interview at one point, because he didn't seem to understand the question about if he's been paying his taxes since living in the U.S. as a Permanent Resident. First he was saying "No."  Then he was saying he applied for taxes or something. At one point, she asked if he understood the question. I think he eventually understood and finished the interview. 

I got called and my spouse came to the door to go to the back rooms. I asked if he could join me but, they didn't allow it!  I was surprised!  Oh! And, during our wait in section #3, one of the security ladies walked around and called everyone's attention to her and told us to turn off our cell phones. She did that like 3 times!!! The final time, she said that if your cell phone is on and you go to the back rooms for your interview, they can terminate the interview! 

I followed the lady to a small office, not far from where I had my Greencard interview. She asked me for my interview letter and Greencard. Then, she said I could lay out all the other documentation I brought (my passport, my spouse's birth certificate and our marriage certificate). She asked for my full name, said I passed my test and congratulated me.  Then, she was going over my n400 on her computer. She said the computers are weird and she had to re-enter some information. She reassured me I didn't do anything wrong on my application and it was just their software or something. Then, she asked me all those silly questions from the n400 form, like.... "Do you plan to overthrow the U.S. government?"  (I almost wanted to say Trump is doing a pretty good job of destroying it now!)  She confirmed my address and updated my employment status.  Then, she had me write my signature like 3 different times on an iPad at her desk. One of the times was after a display came up and she said that's what will appear on my Naturalization Certificate. 

After some more typing, she said that my case status should update shortly and that I am now in line to be scheduled for my Oat Ceremony.  I asked her if we can choose where to have it. She said the computer takes your name from a list of hundreds of people and puts you in the soonest ceremony according to where you live. She told me that mine will be somewhere here on the west side of Michigan. She said it might take a little longer than east side ceremonies. She said it might even be a small ceremony presided over by a judge in a courthouse. She then told me I was done and walked me back out to the waiting area. We went back to our car and started looking for a place to eat. About 2 minutes after I got in the car, I got an e-mail saying my immigration status has been updated. It is now saying "In line to be scheduled for Oat Ceremony."  I was like.... Wow! That was fast. So, hopefully that doesn't take too long.  We ended up going to eat Greek food in Greek Town at a place called - The Greek. It was pretty good! We both got gyro plates.  Then, it was back on the road for our 2 hour drive back to Battle Creek.  

Oath Ceremony.jpg

Very descriptive. Congratulations.

I am wondering if a question does not ask for one answer but there are different possible answers, what should you say in that case.

Eg.

12. What is the “rule of law”?

• Everyone must follow the law.
  • Leaders must obey the law.
  • Government must obey the law.
  • No one is above the law.

Timeline
1 hour ago, stormnut42 said:

Oath Ceremony.jpg

Thank you for writing all that up and congratulations!

1 hour ago, is63 said:

Very descriptive. Congratulations.

I am wondering if a question does not ask for one answer but there are different possible answers, what should you say in that case.

Eg.

12. What is the “rule of law”?

• Everyone must follow the law.
  • Leaders must obey the law.
  • Government must obey the law.
  • No one is above the law.

I think in that case just memorize one correct answer.

N-400

Timeline

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure that for questions with multiple answers, they'll specify if they want one or more answers.  I heard them asking other people their civics questions and don't recall them requesting more than one answer. Unless the question specifically asks for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.