Life_love

Some More N400 question based on 5 year

9 posts in this topic

As  a natural worrier i told myself i was going to abstain from reading horror n400 interview stories, but i find myself reading them and getting more and more paranoid..which brings me to ask more questions in regards to my case. I have mentioned before (in a previous topic), i am filing under the 5 year rule, twice divorced, got my 10 GC based on marriage (stokes interview and all....hopefully that wont affect my n400 application).

I didn't file taxes for the 2013 tax year because i did not work  or earn any income (+ didnt become a PR until  May of that year even)  but my ex husband filed as single. largerly due to ignorance we didnt think it mattered since i didnt work, it was at that point an optional matter (so we thought)...after years of putting it on the back burner we failed to amend his filing status. I honestly felt it was something we could defend to the IO because i didn't marry for fraud or anything like that so nothing to hide

It didn't seem to be an issue during our interview but we interviewed separately (stokes).

Now i am filing for the n400 in a few days, but based on the 5 year rule....will this be an issue. I plan on answering Yes to the did you ever fail to file taxes question and explain that i didnt file taxes for the year 2013 because i was unemployed and didnt become a PR until may of that year. I also plan to attach my 2014-2017 tax return transcript

Would that be sufficient enough? do you think this may cause an issue in filing based on the 5 year rule? is this something i need a lawyer for?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I remember your previous thread----you'd also had issues with the 2014 back-tax owed at the time, if I remember correctly---was that paid off or still outstanding?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

15 minutes ago, Going through said:

I think I remember your previous thread----you'd also had issues with the 2014 back-tax owed at the time, if I remember correctly---was that paid off or still outstanding?

Thanks for the response…yeah they were paid off, I don’t owe any back taxes from state or federal. 

I am just freaking out on every single  detail on why I could be denied. 

17 hours ago, Life_love said:

Thanks for the response…yeah they were paid off, I don’t owe any back taxes from state or federal. 

I am just freaking out on every single  detail on why I could be denied. 

You'd be happy to know you were not the first VJer to have gone through this - from what I have read, since those taxes are already paid, you should not have an issue.  A copy of your tax transcript is one of the documents required, and you can also attach documents that show when and how they were paid.

You will find that applying under the 5 year rule requires far less documentation than filing under the 3 year rule.

Try starting a N-400 application online - you are not required to submit it until you are ready, you just need to save your work and upload the files in the Evidence tab (you will see that after you have successfully answered all the questions).

As you are responding to the form, sections will open up and ask for more information.  This will give you an idea on what you need to prepare when you are ready to submit and pay for your application.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

22 minutes ago, marriedtomrg said:

You'd be happy to know you were not the first VJer to have gone through this - from what I have read, since those taxes are already paid, you should not have an issue.  A copy of your tax transcript is one of the documents required, and you can also attach documents that show when and how they were paid.

You will find that applying under the 5 year rule requires far less documentation than filing under the 3 year rule.

Try starting a N-400 application online - you are not required to submit it until you are ready, you just need to save your work and upload the files in the Evidence tab (you will see that after you have successfully answered all the questions).

As you are responding to the form, sections will open up and ask for more information.  This will give you an idea on what you need to prepare when you are ready to submit and pay for your application.

Thanks, i have been patiently waiting for a response like a puppy, lol i get so nervous and come up with the worst type of scenario....i guess its good in a way to help me be prepared but it is really causing me to also freak out. I just started the application online and saving it...hopefully i will join those march 2018 filers waiting soonest....hopefully.

Once again thank you all, and God bless...i am still open to any advice and cautiously staying away  from threads that causes me to  over think things.

Filed: Other Timeline

Is that a trick question?

You will submit your federal US income tax return for 2013 now. If you don't owe any income tax, there's no late fee, no punishment.

AFTER you did that, you can truly answer that you never failed to file a federal income tax return.

The question is whether or not you filed late, but whether or not you failed to file. So file!

Problem solved.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Update: This is for anyone in a similar situation with taxes and filing the n400 as i am, i contacted an immigration lawyer via AVVO ($39 for 15mins consultation) and he basically said it should be no problem, i should go ahead an submit my most current tax return transcript, provide the explanation, and bring all tax transcripts filed to the interview...an answer most of you may already know

So good luck to everyone, may your n400 journey be as smooth as possible.

Now that is sorted out, I have another question for those who have gone through the interview process(not sure to create a new topic for this or not), but here goes:

1. Is it okay to ask the IO for permission to look at my documents/evidence during the interview. Like if i don't remember an exact date for travel 5 years ago, can i ask to view my travel history doc i got from the i-94 site to confirm the dates...or do i have to memorize the dates to the tea. 

2. Is it also okay to have a print out of the n400 application and use as reference during the interview will that be considered rude or raise an issue?

Not that i don't remember the dates of personal events,  i just don't want to mess up on ANYTHING due to nerves....i am the sort of person that will literally s^&t my pants during a job interview....how i have managed to pull through is nothing short of a miracle really.

Filed: Other Timeline
On 3/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Life_love said:

Thanks for your response...i earned $0.00 for 2013 so you think i should still go ahead an file?

Yes.

File your 2013 income tax return with a $0 income now.

Thirty minutes well spent.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.