shawarma_frites

I recently received NOA2, and I am so frustrated that I sometimes want to quit. (Algeria)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am in a haze about about the NVC and packets 3 & 4. 

I mostly thought that NVC would approve the case; send to the embassy; I'd mail the I-134 (or I-864 if requested); SO would have medical appointment/vaccines; and SO would fulfill DS-160/schedule online for embassy interview. 

Now I'm seeing the need for police certificate that usually expires in 3 months and military records/card (Algeria). AND EVERYTHING LOOKS SO MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN I THOUGHT AND I'M STARTING TO WORRY.

Also, Algeria is a bureaucratic nightmare where it takes forever to have anything done. Having good supporting documents for the 129F was difficult. It was a herculean effort for him to receive his "certificate of non-marriage" and to have it translated by a state-sworn translator because they randomly close their businesses. 

Does anyone remember when the Algerian Post practically shut down for a month because of Ramadan? Most of the international mail was stuck in the Algiers Airport for 1 to 3 months. When he sends me a letter via the regular post, it takes THREE MONTHS to arrive. Expedited still takes too long. 

I paid $100 for 3-day business and it was lost for 2 months. 1/3 of our correspondences via post inexplicably disappears. Two years ago, I spent to $200 to expedite some documents via UPS who has their own airplane and office in Algeria...it still took a week to arrive. He lives just outside of the capital of the country, too. 

.............................................................................................................................

My fiancé has a master's degree but works a high-stress shitty 54 hour/week $250/month administrative/IT job. He also has chronic fatigue and ADHD (and some Asperger's traits). He has definitely lived a sheltered life even by the age of 30. He doesn't have a car, so making appointments for the doctor, paperwork, and interviews is even more difficult. 

Now we're fighting over whether or not the embassy will request his conscription papers, which they will...  Long story short, after he finished his master's degree in 2012, the military made a clerical error and forgot to request for his service afterwards, and he never corrected them. He was granted clemency on January Ist 2017, but he doesn't have a final clemency papers (i.e. the military card). He submitted an application to receive the military card (hopefully April 19th). 

We've been together almost 3 years now. I love him so deeply and we've faced the grief of multiple family deaths together. However, this K-1 process is making me doubt his ability to live under U.S. bureaucracy. I doubt that he/we can handle this stress.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

While every country is different in some regards, such as I have read about needing the military paperwork for Algeria before.

Police reports and such are required everywhere  without exception. It's easy to obtain in some countries than others but it is required in each embassy.

Same goes for certificate showing no marriages, single, divorced, ect. Those are also required everywhere.

It can be a long, strenuous process; but the requirements, or "bureaucracy" is basically the same everywhere. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline

I realize this process is long and stressful....and I truly feel your pain  (my fiance...now husband on a K1 visa...is from Algeria). 

I am going to give you the best piece of advice I can give....just breathe....yes, the bureaucracy sucks (both in the US and in Algeria). All of this moves at a snails pace. I agree, the whole of Algeria shuts down for Ramadan....and even if it is not Ramadan, businesses have no set hours and will take a break randomly. It is what it is. 

What saved me through all of this is.....this forum. The people here are lifesavers....seek out people who have went before you....make friends...stay in contact with the people who have similar timelines....I am more than happy to help or guide or whatever you need  (even if you just want to vent).

As for the logistics....you will need to send the I 134 and last year's transcript. He will need to get the criminal record and birth certificate  (both have a 3 month expiration date). The certificate of non marriage is by far the most difficult piece of paper work to get  (because he must take two witnesses....that are not related to him...)

As for the military record they will absolutely ask for it (as @Ben&Zian said) If he has requested it....he needs to actually go there and request it often....R (my husband) had to renew his driver's license....it took 9 months  (for a laminated piece of paper...and he had to go back 5 times). Life is different there  (as I am sure you are well aware). But, you are not alone. I will support you whenever I can....please feel free to message me....

• 2 months later...
On 13/03/2018 at 7:03 PM, shawarma_frites said:

I am in a haze about about the NVC and packets 3 & 4. 

I mostly thought that NVC would approve the case; send to the embassy; I'd mail the I-134 (or I-864 if requested); SO would have medical appointment/vaccines; and SO would fulfill DS-160/schedule online for embassy interview. 

Now I'm seeing the need for police certificate that usually expires in 3 months and military records/card (Algeria). AND EVERYTHING LOOKS SO MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN I THOUGHT AND I'M STARTING TO WORRY.

Also, Algeria is a bureaucratic nightmare where it takes forever to have anything done. Having good supporting documents for the 129F was difficult. It was a herculean effort for him to receive his "certificate of non-marriage" and to have it translated by a state-sworn translator because they randomly close their businesses. 

Does anyone remember when the Algerian Post practically shut down for a month because of Ramadan? Most of the international mail was stuck in the Algiers Airport for 1 to 3 months. When he sends me a letter via the regular post, it takes THREE MONTHS to arrive. Expedited still takes too long. 

I paid $100 for 3-day business and it was lost for 2 months. 1/3 of our correspondences via post inexplicably disappears. Two years ago, I spent to $200 to expedite some documents via UPS who has their own airplane and office in Algeria...it still took a week to arrive. He lives just outside of the capital of the country, too. 

.............................................................................................................................

My fiancé has a master's degree but works a high-stress shitty 54 hour/week $250/month administrative/IT job. He also has chronic fatigue and ADHD (and some Asperger's traits). He has definitely lived a sheltered life even by the age of 30. He doesn't have a car, so making appointments for the doctor, paperwork, and interviews is even more difficult. 

Now we're fighting over whether or not the embassy will request his conscription papers, which they will...  Long story short, after he finished his master's degree in 2012, the military made a clerical error and forgot to request for his service afterwards, and he never corrected them. He was granted clemency on January Ist 2017, but he doesn't have a final clemency papers (i.e. the military card). He submitted an application to receive the military card (hopefully April 19th). 

We've been together almost 3 years now. I love him so deeply and we've faced the grief of multiple family deaths together. However, this K-1 process is making me doubt his ability to live under U.S. bureaucracy. I doubt that he/we can handle this stress.

I have been true the algerian embassy recently and reading your post make me feel I am living in another country

-My fiance sent me a letter of afidavit of support : i got it in 15 days (normal post)

-Military card : they ask for it yes , i had to submit my exemption card at 30 years old i think he will be able to get it in 1/2 day

-translation : their's plenty of translator who are ready to translate your document in few days

-for the certificat of non mariage , i took with me 2 collegue from work , and i got it in 5 minute

-Medical exam : it was a smooth process , i did email them and they answread me with a date and all the shot that i need to take for the medical exam , i recieved the result 10 days after

-Interview: the algerian embassy is so easy , even tho I met my fiance one time for few days , we got approuved with no issue , not even front loading our petition

Edited by Abdeslam

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am a USC and currently living in Algiers. I'm not sure if you're still going through the process or what but I will help you all that I can. I can certainly utilize my husbands brain for navigating things here. It's a tough place to get anything done for sure but rest assured many people have done it before you. 

• Spoiler

• Met 09/2016
    • Engaged 11/2016
    • Moved to Algiers, Algeria 03/17/2017
    • Married in Algeria 07/26/2017
    • Decided to relocate back to the US in 08/2018
    • Currently still living in Algeria as of 09/20/2018
    • Mailed petition to FL to be sent by friend to USCIS 09/23/2018
    • Petition sent to Chicago Lockbox 09/27/2018
    • USPS shows Petition delivered to Chicago Lockbox 09/29/2018

Timeline
On 9/26/2018 at 8:43 AM, dzmichellebkt said:

I am a USC and currently living in Algiers. I'm not sure if you're still going through the process or what but I will help you all that I can. I can certainly utilize my husbands brain for navigating things here. It's a tough place to get anything done for sure but rest assured many people have done it before you. 

Thanks, though he already has his green card. All done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.