SD2018

K-1 Withdrawn , Planning to apply B2

11 posts in this topic

Hello ! 

I have a question that need guidance. 

I have studied in the States previously for 4 years. I met a girl there during that period and we been together for a long time. Last year I returned to my country Thailand after my work OPT student visa ended. When I came back to Thailand we decided to apply for K1visa in January 2017. We received next steps around May to set up interview. However at this time I had a career going on already in Thailand with my business and work, which I had to focus plus my family was here that needed taking care of. We both decided mutually to part ways in 2017 and not proceed with the K1 as we wanted to focus on our careers.  We are no longer together. 

This year in August a close friend of mine (Fraternity member ) in US is getting married and they invited me to their wedding. I want to apply for the B2 visa to attend the wedding. Am I allowed to apply for a B2 , since I have a withdrawn k1 in the past ? I have all the necessary documents to proof that I have my business and job going on in Thailand. Will a consular general deny me for a visit to US for the reason that we withdrew a K1 visa before ?

I previously studied in USA for 4 years on student visa and have never been denied a visa. I am financing my own trip and have enough money to sponsor myself

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

You can apply for anything you want. However having had an immigrant petition filed in your name is gonna make them think you have immigrant intent. You’re gonna have to prove really hard at your interview that you have a lot of strong ties to your home country and you will not stay in the US. Saying you don’t wanna stay and that you want to go back home is not enough. You’re gonna have to prove on paper. And they’re gonna look at you even more carefully because they’re gonna think you’re trying to cheat the system and immigrate on a non immigrant visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Assets in your name would be good to have too. You should look at the country specific forum for your country and see what people who are successful in getting tourist visas there use. That might be your best start. Good luck. 

16 minutes ago, SD2018 said:

@TNJ17 Thank you for your answer. Besides my employment letter,  business registration certificate, bank account statement, utility bills. Are there any way else to proof solid ties to home country ? 

Sounds pretty solid. Nothing is guaranteed though.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, SD2018 said:

Received my B2 visa. No questions asked about K1. Had solid documents to back up 

Were any documents presented to or looked at by the CO at interview? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.