TarynL

Wedding planning advice

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

OP, there are some advice given in this thread.

There was good advice on an option for people trying to plan weddings while going through this process. You can contact the venue and see if you can negotiate an option in writing to move the wedding date at little to no cost. It can say that you have 30 or 60 days prior to the original date to move the date out. If it gets close to the month you originally planned and there is no progress on your case you simply reschedule instead of canceling.

It is simply an option and the venue you want may not agree to it, but it is worth a shot to try.

Yes! My friend did this because of her husbands deployment schedule.

She asked each vendor to put in a clause that if they date were going to fall through then they would be able to reschedule their wedding on another date available date without losing their deposit. The did actually end up losing their date (because his deployment was extended) and were able to reschedule with minimal hassle and no money lost. 

I did plan my wedding while doing the K1 (it was a gamble we were willing to take but you do have to be willing for it to fall apart also). That is how I can upon the above information from my friend :) but we did the K1 a year ago it (approvals were moving faster). We had to slow down the process by rescheduling my husbands medical exam to make the wedding work so his visa didn't expire before his arrival date. 

Planning a wedding is not advised but my husband had his heart on having his family and friends come from overseas so we did plan one. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

as someone who has worked in the catering business for the past 25 years.....a contract is a contract.  However, there is a "unforeseen circumstance" in most contracts.  That being said....if you do book a venue (November is kind of cutting it close) you can ask them when their soft season is.  For example, if the venue is in a resort or busy area, then Fridays and Saturdays are typically less flexible.  You may want to try a Sunday afternoon.  Also, as far as the church is concerned...well, my church anyway......that date can most likely be changed too.  Good luck.  I stressed every day when I planned my wedding in advance...and that was after the interview and everything!  It worked out...but it was a stress I did not need.

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

As others have said, don't book anything now.   You may want to start booking things when you have an interview date, but personally I'd never dream of it until I'm already in the country.  No harm in having an idea of things, but booking and paying deposits on things when you don't know for sure you'll have the visa by then is way more risk than I'm willing to take.

Then again, neither me or my partner are looking to have a big wedding - we are happy with courthouse + steak & drinks afterwards. 

As others have suggested, if you want the big wedding with all the trimmings, go for it. But do the courthouse first with close family if you wish and then when all the legalities are out of the way, plan the big celebration :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.