jle2234

Slightly off-topic, but...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, this is less about immigration and more a silly question regarding living in the U.S.

My parents recently sent me a care package of some Canadian goodies, and I would like to reciprocate with some items from the U.S. I live in a suburb of NYC and attend school in Manhattan, so can also send NYC-specific items. In the interest of paying a reasonable amount for shipping, I'd like to send only non-perishable items.

Has anyone sent this kind of package before? Do you have any suggestions for items to include? So far I just have t-shirts from my school.

As a somewhat side note, does anyone know if I can mail coffee from the U.S. to Canada?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't know about Canada but I send goodies to Australia often. I just follow the rules of what I would be able to bring into the country if I were traveling. It is packaged food, I choose non-perishable sealed items (like candies/cookies). No live seeds/plants. When at the post office they will make you fill out a form to ensure the package goods are allowed. 

Also I only send it through the United States Postal Service.

I once received a quote to send a small package to Australia for 600 dollars from UPS. USPS sent the same package for 120 dollars and laughed when I told them how much it cost through UPS (the said USPS is almost always the cheapest option internationally). 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

I send packages to my kid for birthdays etc.  Generally it is reasonable price wise if its not heavy.  If you send anything keep a list of what it is made of, where it is made and the cost.  You are required to send that detailed of a list for Canadian customs.  Sending things to the USA is easier than sending things to Canada I have found! 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Mark it as a gift and the stated value should be below $60 to prevent them from being charged duty on the package. 

USPS has three boxes that are priced per box no matter how much it weighs. Best for sending super heavy items as they are fairly expensive. 

Timeline

when  I send stuff back to Canada  I usually use USPS.....but this past Christmas UPS was actually cheaper...surprised me!   

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We always sent USPS, just be prepared for things to take about 3 weeks. It does tend to get help up at the border for a bit. 

We just give a brief description like hat, gloves, candy, if there is more then one type of food item we will list a few things like chocolate, gummies, or what every.  

Make sure you mark it as gift and keep the prices or each item in check. You don't want them getting nailed with duty/taxes. 

We never used the If it fits it ships packages to send up to Canada. Even supper heavy things going first class worked out to be cheaper. 

If you have a digital kitchen scale you can also weigh it and print off the label online with USPS. You can figure out the shipping and change the packaging if need be before actually sending it off. We found envelopes even though weighed the same as a box were cheaper. Of course sometimes a box is a must. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Ah i tend to use ups for shipping to Canada since they let me track it all the way to final destination cheaper than usps does.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

make sure u check out UPS....rates must have changed .....and of course depends on size/weight..location.....1 issue I had with UPS was filling out the customs forms....not super clear how u do it online......now i days I rarely mail stuff back....waste too much in shipping charges.....rather just send my sisters $$$ to buy the nephews gifts.   

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.