Mike445

Canadians who got married in USA with no visa tell me your stories.

20 posts in this topic

Timeline

I am looking for Canadians who went to the United States to marry there American spouse.

Did anyone have any trouble getting across the border? My fiancé and I are getting married April 7 in Arkansas. We were in United States this weekend and picked out her wedding dress and purchased it. 

Our next border crossing will be the week we get married. My parents, my fiancé and myself have rented a van to drive down to Arkansas for the wedding and then drive back afterwards. 

I was talking to a guy today who was denied entry at the border when he got married about nine years ago.   Even though everybody in a previous thread I posted it had nothing but positive to say, that has thrown some doubt into our minds. 

So any stories or advice would be great. Thank you all so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Canada Forum from IR1/CR1 P&P- The OP is looking for Canadian experience.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike445 said:

Thank you!! I didn’t know this particular portion of the forum existed. I’ve only browsed and posted via mobile browser.

You're welcome, I only use the PC I have heard others using the phone missing out on some of the other forums. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

The only reason people get denied at the bordee generally is because they cant show why they are coming back.  So they have no job, no school, and they have all their stuff.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would def have some strong ties that your going back to Canada.... I did get married on a visit to the USA, but it was just a very small 1 and I didnt make it known to the USA immigration officer....he didnt ask, and I didnt volunteer the info.   As a cdn we often get benefit of being a canuck and often are not hassled crossing the border, but people do get denied entry, thus the onus is on you to provide proof that you are returning...job from employer.....have a good understanding of the Visa your going for....guessing a Cr-1..telling the border dude ur getting married to start the CR-1 paperwork...Good luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My spouse is a dual citizen and we traveled to Vegas together to get married. We had no intentions of moving to Vegas at the time (we are now) but knew there was always a possibility of a problem. I took a copy of my ties that I was employed full time. I did not freely offer the fact that I was going to Vegas to get married. Just that we were checking out the sights. I did have my wedding dress with my carry on luggage as I was afraid it would get lost. The topic never got brought up and were let through without issue. The key to any border crossing with a US spouse is proof of ties and any proof of you are going to proceed legally. 

They might go through your stuff to see what you have. Usually by doing this they can determine whether the person is intending on immigrating.

Timeline
On 2/12/2018 at 9:26 PM, Mike445 said:

I am looking for Canadians who went to the United States to marry there American spouse.

Did anyone have any trouble getting across the border? My fiancé and I are getting married April 7 in Arkansas. We were in United States this weekend and picked out her wedding dress and purchased it. 

Our next border crossing will be the week we get married. My parents, my fiancé and myself have rented a van to drive down to Arkansas for the wedding and then drive back afterwards. 

I was talking to a guy today who was denied entry at the border when he got married about nine years ago.   Even though everybody in a previous thread I posted it had nothing but positive to say, that has thrown some doubt into our minds. 

So any stories or advice would be great. Thank you all so much.

Hi Mike - I met my husband online and he happened to live about 3.5 hours south of me. I visited quite often and we married in San Antonio TX in 2014. I had no issues at all crossing the border before or after my wedding. I always carried a file of information with me containing the following :

A copy of my marriage certificate

A copy of my lease agreement in Canada

A letter from my employer

Bank statements and pay stubs

A copy of my NOA1

I was never asked for this file, not once. Now, when I was asked for the purpose of my visit the time we married, I told the officer that I was visiting my boyfriend and then we were driving to TX to visit my family for the New Year (which was the truth).  We were planning to get married at the Bexar County courthouse and surprise my mom and stepdad, who would be our witnesses. I had all the proof I needed that I had to return to Canada with me anyway. Once I did return, we filed CR1 and I visited almost every weekend for over a year until approved - with zero issues.  Keep in mind that entrance into the US is based on the decision of the CBP officer you speak to, and that person's judgement, so it is best to have lots of proof that you plan on returning to your home country, and don't lie. 

I hope this helps...good luck! :)

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Timeline
On 2/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, Dualie said:

Hi Mike - I met my husband online and he happened to live about 3.5 hours south of me. I visited quite often and we married in San Antonio TX in 2014. I had no issues at all crossing the border before or after my wedding. I always carried a file of information with me containing the following :

A copy of my marriage certificate

A copy of my lease agreement in Canada

A letter from my employer

Bank statements and pay stubs

A copy of my NOA1

I was never asked for this file, not once. Now, when I was asked for the purpose of my visit the time we married, I told the officer that I was visiting my boyfriend and then we were driving to TX to visit my family for the New Year (which was the truth).  We were planning to get married at the Bexar County courthouse and surprise my mom and stepdad, who would be our witnesses. I had all the proof I needed that I had to return to Canada with me anyway. Once I did return, we filed CR1 and I visited almost every weekend for over a year until approved - with zero issues.  Keep in mind that entrance into the US is based on the decision of the CBP officer you speak to, and that person's judgement, so it is best to have lots of proof that you plan on returning to your home country, and don't lie. 

I hope this helps...good luck! :)

Thank you!!! I have this letter from work. Does it look sufficient? I don’t have a lease or rental agreement for a house. I can print out bank statements and pay stubs if necessary.

74513E2A-8ED2-4308-9199-A217ED19E3DB.jpeg

Timeline

This letter is fine. Mine stated much the same thing. The lease agreement isn't really necessary, just put together a file folder of whatever evidence you have to your ties to Canada. With this and your bank statements and pay stubs, maybe add some utility bills as well, you should be good to go.  It is better to be over prepared and not be asked for it than to have no proof with you and be turned away.

Good luck! :)

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dualie said:

This letter is fine. Mine stated much the same thing. The lease agreement isn't really necessary, just put together a file folder of whatever evidence you have to your ties to Canada. With this and your bank statements and pay stubs, maybe add some utility bills as well, you should be good to go.  It is better to be over prepared and not be asked for it than to have no proof with you and be turned away.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much!! I’ll start printing out monthly bank statements and pay stubs. You’ve been very helpful!!

I always brought my most recent 2 pay stubs, my business card, a copy of my itinerary, and a copy of my renters insurance (since my lease was up and I was month to month.)  My boss also wrote me letters but he managed to muck them up so I didn't bother, but did bring his business card if they wanted to talk to him.  I was NEVER asked for this info.  I was, however, asked at POE what the purpose of my stay was, (I always answered to visit my husband), where I worked, and how long my trip was.  I was once asked if we were planning on any immigration and once where my husband worked.  Never had an issue, never went to secondary etc... I think because none of my trips were over 10 days, I only checked a bag once and it was my husband's telescope, lol, and I had a job they didn't really seem interested. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
8 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I always brought my most recent 2 pay stubs, my business card, a copy of my itinerary, and a copy of my renters insurance (since my lease was up and I was month to month.)  My boss also wrote me letters but he managed to muck them up so I didn't bother, but did bring his business card if they wanted to talk to him.  I was NEVER asked for this info.  I was, however, asked at POE what the purpose of my stay was, (I always answered to visit my husband), where I worked, and how long my trip was.  I was once asked if we were planning on any immigration and once where my husband worked.  Never had an issue, never went to secondary etc... I think because none of my trips were over 10 days, I only checked a bag once and it was my husband's telescope, lol, and I had a job they didn't really seem interested. 

Thank you very much. My only issue is I will be crossing in a rented van with my parents and my American fiancé. I’m not going to volunteer the information that we are getting married but I am not going to hide it or lie. My fiancé‘s wedding dress will be in the vehicle with us. As I said I will only be there for about a week. We have people coming from all over North America for our little wedding. If the newest schedule is made showing my hours upon return I will print that and bring it with me. If not I will just bring paystubs. My issue is proving where I live, aside from showing a drivers license I have nothing else. I recently sold my house and my parents and I are living together.My issue is proving where I live, aside from showing a drivers license with the address I have nothing else. I recently sold my house and my parents and I are living together. I do have a copy of an invitation for a Canadian wedding reception two weeks after we get married. I will have that with me as well.I do have a copy of an invitation for a Canadian wedding reception two weeks after we get married. I will have that with me as well.

1 hour ago, Mike445 said:

Thank you very much. My only issue is I will be crossing in a rented van with my parents and my American fiancé. I’m not going to volunteer the information that we are getting married but I am not going to hide it or lie. My fiancé‘s wedding dress will be in the vehicle with us. As I said I will only be there for about a week. We have people coming from all over North America for our little wedding. If the newest schedule is made showing my hours upon return I will print that and bring it with me. If not I will just bring paystubs. My issue is proving where I live, aside from showing a drivers license I have nothing else. I recently sold my house and my parents and I are living together.My issue is proving where I live, aside from showing a drivers license with the address I have nothing else. I recently sold my house and my parents and I are living together. I do have a copy of an invitation for a Canadian wedding reception two weeks after we get married. I will have that with me as well.I do have a copy of an invitation for a Canadian wedding reception two weeks after we get married. I will have that with me as well.

Make sure everyone has proof of their ties to Canada.  Driving was probably the least safest route to be honest.  Most people who are denied entry seem to be driving.   I think a copy of the invitation is a good idea.  I also think you should just say you're going for your wedding, after all why else would you be traveling with car load of people, your fiance, and a wedding dress?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.