IssaCaptureFL

Haiti K1 Visa Applicants

1,796 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
8 hours ago, ieb said:

The visa process is still revealing itself to me but this I can speak to! I live in Haiti (Port-au-Prince/Leogane).

Don't worry, enjoy your visit - seriously violent crime in Haiti is not statistically particularly bad and is mostly within the usual realms, gangs, politics, organized crime etc. Keep your eyes open and don't go waving money and electronics in the air, don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage, keep your purse closed, stick to bottled/Culligan/purified water, and other common sense business. You can fly direct to Okap and it's a much smaller, calmer airport. Still airports are where I feel most at risk (that and leaving banks and being in the posh elite/expat zones), just make sure he or a friend or family of his is picking you up (you'll need $10 exact to pay a tourist fee on entry). You can get a local sim and pop it in your US phone. I bring as much cash as I'll need as ATMs aren't ubiquitous and then change it to gourdes as needed (grocery stores are good for that if he doesn't have someone in the area to do it). I've been hearing about some protests up there but these things tend to be super localized and he should be able to get the word on the street and navigate for you. (Oh but you have to interview in Port-au-Prince at the embassy right? So if you fly to PaP same thing - make sure you have someone lined up to meet you at the airport, motos can't go in anymore so it's gotta be a car)

Every few weeks it seems like there is a small protest or some sort of activity around the embassy. I think they're generally pretty low key and peaceful but you can sign up for email alerts from the US state dept/embassy in PaP just to get a heads up (though they're a bit alarmist in my opinion). And in your benefit, they don't generally start super early in the day.

Otherwise, standard tropical packing list: bug spray, sunscreen, brimmed hat, loose clothing, a back up battery for your phone is a good idea since depending on accommodations electricity isn't guaranteed all the time. If you have a sensitive digestive system an anti-diarrhial and a broad-spectrum anti-biotic wouldn't hurt to pack but they are also available at any pharmacy here.  Anti-malarials, tetanus, dengue I think? and hepatitis and maybe more are all recommended by the state dept/cdc. Make of it what you will. My vaccines are all up to date but I don't do well with anti-malarials ... personal risk assessment.

Best advice ever, couldn’t say it better myself. There is always a lot of hype when traveling to Haiti about security which is true in some sense but that’s any country in the world.  Best advice is stay low key, dress as simple as possible not too much jewelry or none at all even if it’s cheap, it’s not safe over there if you don’t know and look vunerable they will take advantage of you but if you have someone just make them pick you up. And yes if you keep your phone out too long in public they will take it, if you want you can buy a cheap one for call and text. Enjoy your stay it can be fun just stay safe and all the dangerous places are mostly in the capital. The provinces are usually safer. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Sej said:

Best advice ever, couldn’t say it better myself. There is always a lot of hype when traveling to Haiti about security which is true in some sense but that’s any country in the world.  Best advice is stay low key, dress as simple as possible not too much jewelry or none at all even if it’s cheap, it’s not safe over there if you don’t know and look vunerable they will take advantage of you but if you have someone just make them pick you up. And yes if you keep your phone out too long in public they will take it, if you want you can buy a cheap one for call and text. Enjoy your stay it can be fun just stay safe and all the dangerous places are mostly in the capital. The provinces are usually safer. 

Thank you guys so much. I tried to get vaccines but they said since in leaving Sat its to late so I have no meds to protect me against anything so I'm bumbed out aboyt that. The phone i have does come with a way to take out the battery so I can't bring an extra battery so really bumbed about that. You at i can get a phone there? If so,will I be able to call and check on my daughter in America with the phone?

I'm praying for us all 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kween said:

Thank you guys so much. I tried to get vaccines but they said since in leaving Sat its to late so I have no meds to protect me against anything so I'm bumbed out aboyt that. The phone i have does come with a way to take out the battery so I can't bring an extra battery so really bumbed about that. You at i can get a phone there? If so,will I be able to call and check on my daughter in America with the phone?

For the vaccines I don’t know, I was born in Haiti and when going back never really thought about taking any vaccines I never get sick when coming back but you just have to make sure not to drink any type of water, always bring your own(not from U.S.) They sell treated water there. For showering make sure you know where the water comes from and make sure it’s treated, aquatab works or 1or 2 drops of chlorox basically take shower with water you would drink it might cost more but worth it. Yes you can get a phone there you can call ur daughter it’s not expensive, I am sure ur fiance should know how those stuff works. Like I said local always knows more although some people can live there since birth and manage to know nothing, but you will always find someone who can guide you in the ways just make sure it’s someone you trust. The water and hygiene stuff you have to make sure of that yourself. 

P.S. it’s not as scary as I make it sound but those advice will work for the most fragile person. 

15 hours ago, Kween said:

I'm heading to Haiti at the end of the month for 4 weeks and have spent longer stretches of time there (several weeks and months). Your basic vaccines that you got in childhood are enough to keep you. Drink bottled water (i.e., Culligan). If you have sensitivities, I'd also use it to brush your teeth as well. Re: Your Cell Phone. Call your provider and see if you can pay a per diem rate to have international calls and texting at an affordable rate. If not, I'd bring an unlocked cell phone that allows you to change your SIM CARD. As you exit the airport terminal (near baggage claim), you'll see a Digicel store (and, maybe a NATCOM stand as well). They will get your set up with a per GB data plan in about 15 minutes and you can correspond with family at home via WhatsApp.

Timeline
1 hour ago, PortauPrince4Love said:

I'm heading to Haiti at the end of the month for 4 weeks and have spent longer stretches of time there (several weeks and months). Your basic vaccines that you got in childhood are enough to keep you. Drink bottled water (i.e., Culligan). If you have sensitivities, I'd also use it to brush your teeth as well. Re: Your Cell Phone. Call your provider and see if you can pay a per diem rate to have international calls and texting at an affordable rate. If not, I'd bring an unlocked cell phone that allows you to change your SIM CARD. As you exit the airport terminal (near baggage claim), you'll see a Digicel store (and, maybe a NATCOM stand as well). They will get your set up with a per GB data plan in about 15 minutes and you can correspond with family at home via WhatsApp.

Thank you in gonna do exactly that 

I'm praying for us all 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I want to Thank whoever started this forum for Haiti K1 visas. I have been reading stories before asking questions just in case my answer is in one or a couple lol. I want to say congrats to all especially those who have their love ones with them. I have started my paperwork and getting things in order. I find this information so helpful and since I like to think and prepare ahead it helps a whole lot. I know it will be a long process but to have my love and our babies next to me everyday instead on for a week I will do this process a thousand times(Thank God I don't have to but that's how much I miss them especially my babies when we video or I hear their voice). Thank you again and I am sure I will have question down the road but it's a great start so far

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jerzee Peach said:

I want to Thank whoever started this forum for Haiti K1 visas. I have been reading stories before asking questions just in case my answer is in one or a couple lol. I want to say congrats to all especially those who have their love ones with them. I have started my paperwork and getting things in order. I find this information so helpful and since I like to think and prepare ahead it helps a whole lot. I know it will be a long process but to have my love and our babies next to me everyday instead on for a week I will do this process a thousand times(Thank God I don't have to but that's how much I miss them especially my babies when we video or I hear their voice). Thank you again and I am sure I will have question down the road but it's a great start so far

Congrats. The journey is long yet rewarding at the end

Timeline

Happy to say that my fiancé picked up his passport this morning and he will be here on friday😊😊😊😊😊. Just remember to have your appt letter to pick up your passport at DHL. They need to scan the letter to give you the package. Thank you to all that have help me throughout this process. It was stressful but I made it with y'all help. I'll be here to help those in need. Next stop AOS

Timeline
6 hours ago, Dot13 said:

Happy to say that my fiancé picked up his passport this morning and he will be here on friday😊😊😊😊😊. Just remember to have your appt letter to pick up your passport at DHL. They need to scan the letter to give you the package. Thank you to all that have help me throughout this process. It was stressful but I made it with y'all help. I'll be here to help those in need. Next stop AOS

Thank you for updating us throughout your journey, Wish you two the best and nothing but happiness. Feel free to come back and keep us posted on the next step of your journey. 

NEW Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

OLD  Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

USCIS - 800-375-5283.  NVC - (603)-334-0700

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Timeline
On 5/7/2018 at 9:52 AM, Jerzee Peach said:

Feel free to post all your questions here and we will be more than happy to assist you. Good luck on your journey and trust me when I say time really does fly when you sit back and don't count the days lol. 

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Timeline
On 5/4/2018 at 12:19 AM, Kween said:

Both my brother and I are Americans and we went to Haiti without any vaccines, we ate foods from local vendors outside near the country sides and Port au prince basically any where we seen food or something unusual we ate. Neither him nor I have ever traveled outside the U.S let alone flew on a plane. We did not get sick or any upset stomach while there. When it came to cell phones I used WhatsApp to video chat and call with family members in the U.S but since I was in a hotel I had wifi connectivity, my fiancé had a working phone with the local phone company but I rarely used it. I did notice that there is a booth with local phone companies inside of the airport as soon as you get to the 1st floor near the exit area. I don't know the fees for them though.

Unless you have change to provide tips try to avoid letting anyone help you carry your luggage even though they claim they are helpers they still will ask for a tip.

Always try gasing up your car before the sun goes down. I notice all gas stations close early there. 

Over all Haiti is an beautiful and amazing place to visit. Just be open minded and explorer everything and remember TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!! you can provide it to your fiancé as additional evidence for his interview.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, IssaCaptureFL said:

Both my brother and I are Americans and we went to Haiti without any vaccines, we ate foods from local vendors outside near the country sides and Port au prince basically any where we seen food or something unusual we ate. Neither him nor I have ever traveled outside the U.S let alone flew on a plane. We did not get sick or any upset stomach while there. When it came to cell phones I used WhatsApp to video chat and call with family members in the U.S but since I was in a hotel I had wifi connectivity, my fiancé had a working phone with the local phone company but I rarely used it. I did notice that there is a booth with local phone companies inside of the airport as soon as you get to the 1st floor near the exit area. I don't know the fees for them though.

Unless you have change to provide tips try to avoid letting anyone help you carry your luggage even though they claim they are helpers they still will ask for a tip.

Always try gasing up your car before the sun goes down. I notice all gas stations close early there. 

Over all Haiti is an beautiful and amazing place to visit. Just be open minded and explorer everything and remember TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!! you can provide it to your fiancé as additional evidence for his interview.

OMG thank you thank you so much...what about hotels. Any nice inexpensive ones close to the embassy 

I'm praying for us all 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.