Eris1926

After K1 Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone, i know this is not specifically about the k1 visa. Im the beneficiary and I currently live in Italy. Once in the USA my idea was to start college so I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced it? What were the requirements to be accepted? Also how to convert my italian high school diploma? I would appreciate so much if there are people who can share their experiences. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, eris&mariaelena said:

Hello everyone, i know this is not specifically about the k1 visa. Im the beneficiary and I currently live in Italy. Once in the USA my idea was to start college so I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced it? What were the requirements to be accepted? Also how to convert my italian high school diploma? I would appreciate so much if there are people who can share their experiences. 

What kind of program?

If you want to enter an undergraduate degree program you will need to take the ACT or SAT tests and as a non native English speaker, an Engish proficiency test.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Pretty much your high school diploma doesn’t matter. You still need to translate it though, alongside any other final examination results. 

Take SAT or (ACT if your are good in science and remember stuff from high school). Depending on your English composite score on SAT/ACT you will need or need not take TOEFL. Apply before December. You will have to apply as an international student, but after you can adjust your college status from international to domestic as soon as you get your GC. You will not qualify for an in state tuition since you would have to be a resident for at least a year prior to starting classes at most colleges, so unfortunately your biggest problem after admission will be figuring out how to pay for college since out of state tuition is much higher. Also, you can’t apply for a financial aid since you are not a permanent resident, but you can as soon as you get your GC (and assuming it’s not too late/ State grants are not drained out). 

Thats of couse regarding an university. If you decide to do community college, it may be easier money wise.

Edited by Bzlibem

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi thank you for your responses, I was really thinking on applying to a community college which its way less money than a state college. So basically the steps would be taking SAT for english and then applying for college? If I apply as an international student I can still unroll my courses ( and then adjust it in domestic after the green card) ? Im not sure about the program I was thinking nursing

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa progress reports" to "moving to the US" where similar topics are discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Timeline
37 minutes ago, eris&mariaelena said:

Hi thank you for your responses, I was really thinking on applying to a community college which its way less money than a state college. So basically the steps would be taking SAT for english and then applying for college? If I apply as an international student I can still unroll my courses ( and then adjust it in domestic after the green card) ? Im not sure about the program I was thinking nursing

The SAT is not just an English test. It is writing, critical reading, and mathematics. You may also need to take TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) if English is not your first language. 

Even a community college will charge you non-resident tuition because you have not lived in the state for 1 year. Be aware that state residents are always given first priority for admission. Also, your test scores would have to be higher than the average applicant with the same credentials who is a resident. Nursing programs are one of the most competitive community college programs to get into. Most will require a year of prerequisites before being allowed on the waiting list for the actual nursing program. State colleges have almost the same admission standards.

Private colleges are a different system altogether, but can easily cost $50-$100 k for a BSN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.