starsky

I-751 February 2018 Filers

2,688 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, mcfrl said:

Has anybody travel overseas with expired green card and extension letter?.. a group of girlfriends are planning a trip to Bahamas and I am thinking about going but I am a concert about dealing with immigration or the airport when coming back, can you please share your experiences with me? and also, how do you do when you go through the immigration Kiosk?

Thanks ! 

I did about a month ago before I received the finger print letter.  I actually shared my experience already 5/10. :D

You need to have "your expired green card, your pass port, the extension letter."

I was told that someone didn't have one of the three items and had a trouble at the airport.  So, make sure to have all the tree items.

At the airport, before kiosk,  you should talk to the staff/officer, directing people where to make a line, about your status with showing the extension letter.

Then the staff/officer will direct you to skip the Kiosk but make a line for officer at the window. The window officer will check all the document and finger print and some mark on your passport such as ARC.   I was fine so you will be fine too as long as you have all right documents. 

" I'd like to share my experience very quick. Because I just came back from outside of USA before I did finger print ( I didn't even get the letter about my finger print).

It was very simple. I saw the officer at the window at the SFO airport without doing Kiosk/machine checking first. Maybe this is all different by the case or airport. Not sure about that. Anyhow, It wasn't worry something at all."

21 hours ago, GT&RAC said:

Surprise!!!!!

We are overseas military so we were required to sent in the fingerprints and biometric photos which was taken here on the base ID office, along with our application. 

I was wondering what they would do about mine while reading all of you guys recieving letters and today ta-da!!!

EBE27287-4EBC-48CB-825D-63F65268093F.jpeg

Congratulations! 

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Husband had his Biometrics appointment this morning. He arrived 15 minutes early and they took him right away. He was in and out in less than 10 minutes.  They asked to see his appointment letter, current passport, and expired Green card (thankfully he brought it). I will keep checking to see if our case status updates online with USCIS. :)

I am new to the forums.   I have an odd situation,  i hope someone can help me out as i am a bit confused.  I am a Green card  holder and have had my biometrics  (appointment was back in march 2018)  taken for the process of conditions removal and to receive my 10 year green card. I have the letter explaining the 1 year extension.   

My dilemma is this,   I only hold a learners drivers permit and wanted to take my driving test soon,  ( in 4-6 weeks - soon).  I took the 5 hour prerequisite class last night and the guy holding  the class informed me I would not be able to take my test  as there is an expired date on my learners permit,  because of the conditional green card expiring.  I would therefor need to get that updated, before i can use that permit to take my driving test.  I am aware that i will not be receiving my 10 year green card for 12-15 months.  What do i do?  Waiting that long to take my test is not an option. Has anyone else been in this situation?  Any help would be great,thanks.

15 minutes ago, ysollatorin said:

I am new to the forums.   I have an odd situation,  i hope someone can help me out as i am a bit confused.  I am a Green card  holder and have had my biometrics  (appointment was back in march 2018)  taken for the process of conditions removal and to receive my 10 year green card. I have the letter explaining the 1 year extension.   

My dilemma is this,   I only hold a learners drivers permit and wanted to take my driving test soon,  ( in 4-6 weeks - soon).  I took the 5 hour prerequisite class last night and the guy holding  the class informed me I would not be able to take my test  as there is an expired date on my learners permit,  because of the conditional green card expiring.  I would therefor need to get that updated, before i can use that permit to take my driving test.  I am aware that i will not be receiving my 10 year green card for 12-15 months.  What do i do?  Waiting that long to take my test is not an option. Has anyone else been in this situation?  Any help would be great,thanks.

You cannot take the test with an expired learners permit.  Same as you would not be able to legally drive without an unexpired drivers license.  You would need to get a new learner's permit which would allow you to take the test.  Whether you can get that or not depends on your state guidelines for renewing with expired status, which I am not familiar with.  Couldn't hurt to go to the DMV with your current NY state ID card (if you have one for NY which it looks like you are from) and see if you can take the test for another learner's permit.  I personally wouldn't mention the expired GC or even show it unless they ask about it, only say your permit expired and want another one.  If they ask for GC, then show it and explain.

Edited by ALIENRJ187
Added info

K1 Visa Timeline

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3/11/2015

I-129F NOA1 : 3/17/2015

I-129F NOA2 : 4/7/2015

NVC Received : 5/5/2015

Embassy Received : 5/26/2015

Interview Date : 7/8/2015 (APPROVED)

Visa Received : 7/15/2015

US Entry : 9/21/2015

Married : 12/12/2015

Adjustment of Status Timeline

Spoiler

AOS Sent : 1/30/2016

AOS Received Text : 2/1/2016

I-797s Received : 2/6/2016

Biometrics Letter : 2/13/2016

Biometrics Appt : 2/25/2016

Interview Letter : 3/18/2016

EAD/AP Approval online : 4/11/2016

Interview Appt : 4/15/2016 (APPROVED)

Green card in hand : 4/23/2016

Removal of Conditions Timeline

Spoiler

ROC Sent: 2/20/2018

ROC delivered by USPS: 2/23/2018

I-797 received: 3/2/2018

Biometrics Letter: 5/12/2018 (using old fingerprints)

18 Month Extension Letter: 8/27/2018

Green Card Mailed: 2/15/2019

Notice Received in Mail: 2/16/2019

Green Card Received: 2/22/2019

19 minutes ago, ALIENRJ187 said:

You cannot take the test with an expired learners permit.  Same as you would not be able to legally drive without an unexpired drivers license.  You would need to get a new learner's permit which would allow you to take the test.  Whether you can get that or not depends on your state guidelines for renewing with expired status, which I am not familiar with.  Couldn't hurt to go to the DMV with your current NY state ID card (if you have one for NY which it looks like you are from) and see if you can take the test for another learner's permit.  I personally wouldn't mention the expired GC or even show it unless they ask about it, only say your permit expired and want another one.  If they ask for GC, then show it and explain.

Thank you for your reply.    I am sorry  but i think i should have explained my situation a bit clearer.  The learners permit itself  is NOT expired.  There is a note on the permit under restrictions, that states i am a Temp visitor and an exp date,  that has of course expired because of the two year conditional green card.   So i was told i need to get that part updated before i can take my test.  However  i can't update that because i don't have my 10 year green card yet.    I don't understand why that parts needs updating as the permit itself is valid until 2021.  I think maybe i will just have to visit the DMV and explain i am still legal to be in the country and take the 1 year extension paper with me  and see what happens next.  

20 minutes ago, ysollatorin said:

Thank you for your reply.    I am sorry  but i think i should have explained my situation a bit clearer.  The learners permit itself  is NOT expired.  There is a note on the permit under restrictions, that states i am a Temp visitor and an exp date,  that has of course expired because of the two year conditional green card.   So i was told i need to get that part updated before i can take my test.  However  i can't update that because i don't have my 10 year green card yet.    I don't understand why that parts needs updating as the permit itself is valid until 2021.  I think maybe i will just have to visit the DMV and explain i am still legal to be in the country and take the 1 year extension paper with me  and see what happens next.  

I don't know how it works in your state, but in Minnesota they put a status check on my wife's driver's license. Even though my wife's DL was valid for 4 years from the date she got it, while we were waiting for the AOS, she had to go in to get the status check on her license every six months. Her 2 year GC took a year to get, so we made a lot of trips to the DMV! I'm guessing it's a similar thing in your state. I would do exactly what you said, go to the DMV with your extension letter.

K1 and AOS:

Spoiler

K1 visa:

18 November, 2014: Sent I-129F

24 November, 2014: Email/text notification of NOA1

26 January, 2015: RFE hard copy

27 January, 2015: Sent RFE response

3 February, 2015: Email/text notification of NOA2

15 April, 2015: K1 interview

11 May, 2015: Fiancee entered US on K-1

22 May, 2015: Got married!

AOS:

15 June, 2015: Sent AOS, EAD, and AP

23 June, 2015: Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP

17 July, 2015: AOS biometrics appointment

28 August, 2015: Received EAD and AP

11 March, 2016: Received interview letter for AOS interview

7 April, 2016: AOS interview. Recommended for approval

13 April, 2016: Received RFE

21, April, 2016: Mailed RFE response

5 May, 2016: I-485 application approved

ROC:

5 February, 2018: Sent I-751

9 February, 2018: NOA1

12 May, 2018: Biometrics waived. USCIS will reuse old fingerprints.

18 August, 2018: 18 month extension

21 February, 2019: ROC approved

1 March, 2019: Green Card received

N-400

31 March, 2019: Submitted N-400 online

23 April, 2019: Biometrics appointment

25 November, 2019: N-400 interview

14 January, 2020: Oath ceremony

10 minutes ago, EmilyRosePF said:

I don't know how it works in your state, but in Minnesota they put a status check on my wife's driver's license. Even though my wife's DL was valid for 4 years from the date she got it, while we were waiting for the AOS, she had to go in to get the status check on her license every six months. Her 2 year GC took a year to get, so we made a lot of trips to the DMV! I'm guessing it's a similar thing in your state. I would do exactly what you said, go to the DMV with your extension letter.

Isn't it a pain in the....butt...   And yes I will go with all my documents to the DMV and get it sorted out  - hopefully.  Thanks for your reply.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, ALIENRJ187 said:

Use the expired green card, plus the one year extension letter, and you should be good. That is what I used. Show them the extension letter.

On 5/21/2018 at 4:04 PM, i_love_rain said:

lululola, may i ask why do you need a second biometric check? it looks most people here got a waiver. Did USCIS collect it when you apply for your 2 year greencard?

USCIS did collect my first biometrics when I applied for my 2 year green card. I don't really know the specific reason as to why mine didn't get waived. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have a USCIS location 10 minutes away from my home, or perhaps I'm just *special*. :P

7 hours ago, lululola said:

USCIS did collect my first biometrics when I applied for my 2 year green card. I don't really know the specific reason as to why mine didn't get waived. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have a USCIS location 10 minutes away from my home, or perhaps I'm just *special*. :P

I have a location about 15 minutes away from my house, and we were waived.  I don't think location even matters.  It's probably just randomized somehow like, every 5th person in the giant stack gets fingerprinted, the rest just use the old ones.  Just a way to clear the backlog.

K1 Visa Timeline

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3/11/2015

I-129F NOA1 : 3/17/2015

I-129F NOA2 : 4/7/2015

NVC Received : 5/5/2015

Embassy Received : 5/26/2015

Interview Date : 7/8/2015 (APPROVED)

Visa Received : 7/15/2015

US Entry : 9/21/2015

Married : 12/12/2015

Adjustment of Status Timeline

Spoiler

AOS Sent : 1/30/2016

AOS Received Text : 2/1/2016

I-797s Received : 2/6/2016

Biometrics Letter : 2/13/2016

Biometrics Appt : 2/25/2016

Interview Letter : 3/18/2016

EAD/AP Approval online : 4/11/2016

Interview Appt : 4/15/2016 (APPROVED)

Green card in hand : 4/23/2016

Removal of Conditions Timeline

Spoiler

ROC Sent: 2/20/2018

ROC delivered by USPS: 2/23/2018

I-797 received: 3/2/2018

Biometrics Letter: 5/12/2018 (using old fingerprints)

18 Month Extension Letter: 8/27/2018

Green Card Mailed: 2/15/2019

Notice Received in Mail: 2/16/2019

Green Card Received: 2/22/2019

On 25/05/2018 at 4:15 PM, Cross32 said:

Use the expired green card, plus the one year extension letter, and you should be good. That is what I used. Show them the extension letter.

thanks for the reply.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
On 5/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, starsky said:

Thanks. Wish you the best for the upcoming appointment!

Just wanted to provide an update- we were able to walk-in- had to wait about 2 hours, but it's done!! Got an email from USCIS confirming biometrics were received.^_^

*~Meghan~*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.