nurmeer

Proof of bonafide marriage

43 posts in this topic

I plan to get married in courthouse for marriage license to apply for AOS, my husband to be is a US citizen. I came to usa on visitor visa 3 months back for visit purpose.

We both met through arranged marriage process 2 years back and have been talking back and forth, since my visit here we have been visiting each other in different cities and now we plan to go ahead with the paper work. Since my family is not here we are not having a big family function as it happens in Pakistani household, will do it after some months. In this case, what proof is sufficient for a bonafide marriage to send along with form 130? We both are professionals, can we attach reference of our work details along with the form?

also how long does it take to get the travel document and work permit from the date of application?

If you came to this visit with intent to eventually marry, You cannot do AOS. I suppose you already know that. You'll have to convince them you came for another visit and decided to go for the marriage. And you'll be stuck here until AOS process is complete (unless you file for Advance Parole which can be only used for emergency travel)

1 minute ago, falmaind said:

If you came to this visit with intent to eventually marry, You cannot do AOS. I suppose you already know that. You'll have to convince them you came for another visit and decided to go for the marriage. And you'll be stuck here until AOS process is complete (unless you file for Advance Parole which can be only used for emergency travel)

Yes, I did not come to usa with the intention to get married. I came to visit my siblings and do my hospital rotations since I am a doctor, i am still doing my rotations on a valid 6 month visa to apply for residency in usa. I want to know which path should I take? If i do a court marriage, but get married later on will that suffice? What proof would I need to show for a bonafide marriage(i know of joint lease, accounts, picture etc). Also this visit was not with the intention to get married so if i apply for travel document, can i get it in 90 days so I can go back and forth to my home country?

4 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

I applied for my travel document and work permit in August. I still haven't heard a thing.

It can take up to a year for you to get your Green Card.

Also please update your timeline. :)

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

2 minutes ago, falmaind said:

This is not true. I-131 is free to file with I-485 or pending I-485, and it doesn't need to be an emergency travel. 

5 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

I am new to the forum, trying to delete the timeline since I don’t have exact details.

5 minutes ago, MiraW said:

This is not true. I-131 is free to file with I-485 or pending I-485, and it doesn't need to be an emergency travel. 

Can I travel back to my country after I get the travel document?

Just now, nurmeer said:

I am new to the forum, trying to delete the timeline since I don’t have exact details.

Can I travel back to my country after I get the travel document?

After your get your AP, you're allowed to leave the USA and reenter, so of course you can travel back to your country. However, I would not suggest that you travel back and forth too many times or stay in your country for too long.

10 minutes ago, MiraW said:

It will be denied if you say "I want it in case we plan to go on vacation"

But they are not going to check and verify (not worth the resources) once AP is approved  whether you are using it for the previously stated purpose

Edited by falmaind

1 minute ago, MiraW said:

After your get your AP, you're allowed to leave the USA and reenter, so of course you can travel back to your country. However, I would not suggest that you travel back and forth too many times or stay in your country for too long.

If I go for 2 weeks to visit my parents, will that be fine? Since I came with no plans to file for adjustment of status, now I am told that in my situation this is a better option to go for instead of Fiance visa.

11 minutes ago, nurmeer said:

Yes, I did not come to usa with the intention to get married. I came to visit my siblings and do my hospital rotations since I am a doctor, i am still doing my rotations on a valid 6 month visa to apply for residency in usa. I want to know which path should I take? If i do a court marriage, but get married later on will that suffice? What proof would I need to show for a bonafide marriage(i know of joint lease, accounts, picture etc). Also this visit was not with the intention to get married so if i apply for travel document, can i get it in 90 days so I can go back and forth to my home country?

I have a family friend who went thru exact same situation. But he had a family wedding with a large party within 3 months of civil (court marriage). while waiting for AOS. That may have helped the case. 

His interviewer was unnecessarily harsh nonetheless. So will depend on your luck. Make sure take information of what is residency and the whole process. My friend took wikipedia pages describing what is process to become an MD for a FMG and why rotations are important etc etc.

Just now, falmaind said:

It will be denied if you say "I want it in case we plan to go on vacation"

The reason my friend put down was "Visit parents in home country", she was approved. Oh and she didn't even use it in the end.

Another one was "My sister had a baby and I'm the godmother", also approved. She did use it to travel back home once.

I'm not saying AP should be treated as a green card, but it doesn't need to be for an "emergency travel".

Just now, MiraW said:

The reason my friend put down was "Visit parents in home country", she was approved. Oh and she didn't even use it in the end.

Another one was "My sister had a baby and I'm the godmother", also approved. She did use it to travel back home once.

I'm not saying AP should be treated as a green card, but it doesn't need to be for an "emergency travel".

I guess I would reword "emergency travel" to "non frivolous travel". I know of folks getting denied when they mention vacation for example

17 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

How can I delete my timeline? 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, falmaind said:

I have a family friend who went thru exact same situation. But he had a family wedding with a large party within 3 months of civil (court marriage). while waiting for AOS. That may have helped the case. 

His interviewer was unnecessarily harsh nonetheless. So will depend on your luck. Make sure take information of what is residency and the whole process. My friend took wikipedia pages describing what is process to become an MD for a FMG and why rotations are important etc etc.

Thanks. Where did your friend get married, in USA or back home?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.