nomadicdude

Do We Really Need To File For A CRBA? & Applying For Passport SSN Without CRBA

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

I'm new here so please excuse if i did not follow any forum rules.

Here's to my question:

We are 2 US citizen parents living in canada (father is us born, mother has a CRBA) our child was born in canada in wedlock, now I know every us citizen should file for a CRBA however going to the embassy is no easy feat so if there's an alternative to getting a US passport & SSN without going for a CRBA we will definitely explore it, we will still be applying for a CRBA for several children together before our oldest will turn 18, going for several children at once makes it a lot less complicated.   

Now, quoting from this link:

The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

now if we were to visit the embassy for the passport application we can as well do the CRBA, but since we travel to the US often we can do a passport application at any local passport office, and a ssn app at the social security office (in the past the embassy would submit the ssn app together with the CRBA but that's no longer the case meaning I will always have to travel to a social security office to apply CMIIW) 

Quoting from this link that we can apply for a US passport for our child without a CRBA:

U.S. Citizenship at Birth

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through your U.S. citizen parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Your parents' marriage certificate, if applicable
  • A statement from your U.S. citizen parent(s) detailing all periods and places of their residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

Please see U.S. Citizenship Laws & Policy for more information.

Now, are all my assumptions correct? did I miss anything? what would the experts suggest?

TIA 

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

You can just go to a passport office in the US and apply as you mentioned. There is a big drawback: None of the children will receive a CRBA certficate or FS-240 as it is known. It basicly suffices as a US birth certificate for many areas where you need to show a (US) birth certificate to show.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

2 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

You can just go to a passport office in the US and apply as you mentioned. There is a big drawback: None of the children will receive a CRBA certficate or FS-240 as it is known. It basicly suffices as a US birth certificate for many areas where you need to show a (US) birth certificate to show.

Thanks for your quick response Can i still go get my children a CRBA/ FS-240 let's say in 10 years? 

Also, at which point in life will they get stuck for not having a  FS-240 ? 

Edited by nomadicdude

Timeline

No, once the US passport is issued, the CRBA has become obsolete.

Applying for a drivers license, social security, college application, school, proof of citizenship (i.e. lost passport). You might be seeing less a problem here, since you think a Canadian (English) birth certificate will do. But imagine it like this: Your kids are born in Russia and you get them US passports, but no FS-240. Makes more sense having a US issued document that is equal to a US birth certificat instead of just a Russian one, right? So just because you have a Canadian (English) one, they will have the same problem as the parent with the Russian birth certificate that is from a different country.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

3 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

No, once the US passport is issued, the CRBA has become obsolete.

Applying for a drivers license, social security, college application, school, proof of citizenship (i.e. lost passport). You might be seeing less a problem here, since you think a Canadian (English) birth certificate will do. But imagine it like this: Your kids are born in Russia and you get them US passports, but no FS-240. Makes more sense having a US issued document that is equal to a US birth certificat instead of just a Russian one, right? So just because you have a Canadian (English) one, they will have the same problem as the parent with the Russian birth certificate that is from a different country.

What holds me back from applying for a CRBA after having a passport? 

I have a similar but different issue, in that my us born daughter could just have her U.K. passport applied for or I could apply for her registration and passport. 

I decided to to do registration as I want to make it easy for her if she ever has a child who through her or her spouse can claim British citizenship which needs the registration document otherwise it would require all grandparents documents which would be onerous to obtain. A little extra work for me now could potentially save her so much work later in life. 

Having a birth document from each country in my case also saves any potential issues from the different date formats used. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Just now, Illiria said:

I have a similar but different issue, in that my us born daughter could just have her U.K. passport applied for or I could apply for her registration and passport. 

I decided to to do registration as I want to make it easy for her if she ever has a child who through her or her spouse can claim British citizenship which needs the registration document otherwise it would require all grandparents documents which would be onerous to obtain. A little extra work for me now could potentially save her so much work later in life. 

Having a birth document from each country in my case also saves any potential issues from the different date formats used. 

Correct I also thought that route, my question is if i can delay that process and get the registration docs in a few years from now for multiple children at once 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, nomadicdude said:

The Department of State will have it in their computer system, you will not be able to apply.

1 minute ago, nomadicdude said:

Correct I also thought that route, my question is if i can delay that process and get the registration docs in a few years from now for multiple children at once 

You can do the process before they turn 18, as described above you won't be able to do it twice.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Illiria said:

A little extra work for me now could potentially save her so much work later in life.

That's what it basicly comes down to. @nomadicdude You might not see a point in it now, but later your children might need it for something, and then getting the docs together will be at least a pain in the a** or even impossible.

35 minutes ago, nomadicdude said:

Doh should read new replies before I save. 

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Timeline
On 1/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, Mark88 said:

The Department of State will have it in their computer system, you will not be able to apply.

You can do the process before they turn 18, as described above you won't be able to do it twice.

There will be a record of the passport, but you can still apply for the CRBA....it is not doing the same process twice.

Filed: Timeline
On 1/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, nomadicdude said:

Hi,

I'm new here so please excuse if i did not follow any forum rules.

Here's to my question:

We are 2 US citizen parents living in canada (father is us born, mother has a CRBA) our child was born in canada in wedlock, now I know every us citizen should file for a CRBA however going to the embassy is no easy feat so if there's an alternative to getting a US passport & SSN without going for a CRBA we will definitely explore it, we will still be applying for a CRBA for several children together before our oldest will turn 18, going for several children at once makes it a lot less complicated.   

Now, quoting from this link:

now if we were to visit the embassy for the passport application we can as well do the CRBA, but since we travel to the US often we can do a passport application at any local passport office, and a ssn app at the social security office (in the past the embassy would submit the ssn app together with the CRBA but that's no longer the case meaning I will always have to travel to a social security office to apply CMIIW) 

Quoting from this link that we can apply for a US passport for our child without a CRBA:

Now, are all my assumptions correct? did I miss anything? what would the experts suggest?

TIA 

How are the children going to get into the US to go to the passport office?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.