Emeryx

NOA2 to NVC?

8 posts in this topic

I have two questions. 

We got approved and got our NOA2 on the 22nd December! Currently waiting for the next step but it's been almost a month since we got approved, is it safe for me to call the NVC and see if i can find out whats going on and if they have a case number for me? I've heard it can take up to 11 weeks until the US Embassy receives everything and you can schedule your interview?

I'm also not sure what to do about my wedding that i have planned! It's planned for April (didn't know getting the NOA2 would take so long!!) and i'm not sure if i should move the date further back or risk it and hope that by the end of March i'll have had my interview and everything will be good to go? I've read a few threads that doing the whole 'non legal' wedding is not advised and that's a big no no. 

Any help from you guys would be much appreciated as my time is very tight and i need to make decisions on moving my wedding date now if it's not looking like i have enough time from now until the end of march! The whole process has been so backlogged and it took much longer than i expected to get the NOA2 but now it seems the NOA2 to NVC takes a long time too 

K-1 Visa

06/21/17 - NOA1
12/22/17 - NOA2 Approved

01/24/18 - NVC Received I-129F 
02/02/18 - Case Number Received 'In transit to Embassy'

02/08/18 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
03/02/18 - Medical 

03/09/18 - Interview 
03/15/18- Visa Issued
03/20/18 - Visa in Hand
03/24/18 - MI Bound

04/15/18 - MARRIED!!! :wub:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Emeryx said:

I have two questions. 

We got approved and got our NOA2 on the 22nd December! Currently waiting for the next step but it's been almost a month since we got approved, is it safe for me to call the NVC and see if i can find out whats going on and if they have a case number for me? I've heard it can take up to 11 weeks until the US Embassy receives everything and you can schedule your interview?

I'm also not sure what to do about my wedding that i have planned! It's planned for April (didn't know getting the NOA2 would take so long!!) and i'm not sure if i should move the date further back or risk it and hope that by the end of March i'll have had my interview and everything will be good to go? I've read a few threads that doing the whole 'non legal' wedding is not advised and that's a big no no. 

Any help from you guys would be much appreciated as my time is very tight and i need to make decisions on moving my wedding date now if it's not looking like i have enough time from now until the end of march! The whole process has been so backlogged and it took much longer than i expected to get the NOA2 but now it seems the NOA2 to NVC takes a long time too 

1) You can start calling them 2 weeks after your NOA2. In your case, yes, you can start calling them now. However, don't hope so much, because they will give you usual answer "Your case is still not in our system". Our NOA2 is on November 29 and we still waiting for our case number. I start calling them in week 6 (call them daily now)

2)I suggest for you to move the date of the wedding. Because, after NVC case number, you still need to do the medical and interview and it is all subject to availability. Our case for example, even though we didn't get our case number yet, we start taking a look at the earliest appointment available, and it is March 6. Hopefully, we will able to grab that date. 

Good luck with your journey! :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

We got our NOA2 on 11/28/17 and our NVC receive date is 1/12/18. I placed my first call to NVC around 12/21 and was told, for the first time, that it can take up to 6 weeks for the case to be forwarded from USCIS to NVC. I was very distraught and realized there is a long journey ahead. Called USCIS around Xmas and was reassured that USCIS had sent the case over right away and nothing else for them to do, which was a blatant lie. Kept callin NVC and kept getting disappointing news for the upcoming week or so. Finally called USCIS again on 1/9/18 and was finally told that my case was finally forwarded to NVC on 1/8/18. Lo and behold, my case reached in 4 days to NVC

Hang in there bud. Good things are coming, albeit slowly. 

I-129F File Date - 5/26/17

NOA1 Date - 5/30/17

RFE Date - 11/7/17

RFE Receive Date - 11/21/17

NOA 2 - 11/28/17

NVC Receive - 1/12/18

NVC Left - 1/19/18

Consulate Receive - 1/22/18 

Packet 4 - 1/30/18

Interview - 2/2/18

Visa in hand - 2/14/18

US bound - 

Marriage - 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
24 minutes ago, TransAtlanticLove said:

Do you get a text and/or email for the NOA2 or just a letter in the mail?

If you provided a number and/or email to USCIS you get an automated text from a New Mexico area code number (505) and the same update to the designated email address. Otherwise, you get the NOA2 in the mail approximately 3-4 days after the text/email. 

I-129F File Date - 5/26/17

NOA1 Date - 5/30/17

RFE Date - 11/7/17

RFE Receive Date - 11/21/17

NOA 2 - 11/28/17

NVC Receive - 1/12/18

NVC Left - 1/19/18

Consulate Receive - 1/22/18 

Packet 4 - 1/30/18

Interview - 2/2/18

Visa in hand - 2/14/18

US bound - 

Marriage - 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 minutes ago, KN18 said:

If you provided a number and/or email to USCIS you get an automated text from a New Mexico area code number (505) and the same update to the designated email address. Otherwise, you get the NOA2 in the mail approximately 3-4 days after the text/email. 

Thanks so much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The part between NOA2 and NVC has slowed down quite a bit over just the past month or two. 11 weeks is no longer the average. There are people who received NOA2 in November who are still waiting for NVC notice.

The average right now for those currently waiting for NVC notice is around 40-50 days. Some have waited as long as 60. Could it be sooner than that? Of course. We're all hoping that now that the holidays are over, it will begin picking back up. Is it the wisest decision to rely on that? Probably not.

They say you can begin calling 2 weeks after your NOA2 date - from what I've heard of others around the forums who are a bit further along than us (our NOA2 was December 1st, still waiting), they won't tell you much at that point. Just that it's within processing, or whatever that standard line is. I have not personally called yet. After assessing the average wait times, I'm giving them until the top of February before I start making noise.

As for an April wedding - I won't be a Debbie downer and say absolutely not. That feels very cutting-it-close to me; once NVC is over, you still have whatever medical requirements there are in your situation, and of course the final interview. I would just keep that in mind and if the beneficiary is ready to book a flight and come over as soon as everything is squared away (no other personal loose ends to take care of), then you very well could be alright. Just be prepared for things to get backlogged and take longer than expected, as so far every step we've come to has been that way unfortunately. :(

Best of luck to you!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.