cybermax

Upgrade F2A to IR1 question.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My case was completed last month at NVC and we are waiting for the priority date become current.

I’m have my oath ceremony and becoming a US Citizen next week (20 Jan 2018). I plan to send a copy of my certificate to NVC to upgrade the case right after the ceremony.

My questions are:

1. Which sending method is better/ faster? Mail or Email? Or both?

2. How long does it normally take to upgrade the case to IR1? (my case was completed)

I did it online at https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

In Your question: select ...Change in Status. (Petitioner Naturalized)

I think it took a week to get reply... But don't remember exactly. It was pretty easily and worry free.

4 minutes ago, panthera said:

I did it online at https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

In Your question: select ...Change in Status. (Petitioner Naturalized)

I think it took a week to get reply... But don't remember exactly. It was pretty easily and worry free.

Thanks for the reply. Did it take you only a week to upgrade the case officially? Then a few day after they scheduled an interview? Or it took a week to confirm that they recieved your request?

2 minutes ago, cybermax said:

Thanks for the reply. Did it take you only a week to upgrade the case officially? Then a few day after they scheduled an interview? Or it took a week to confirm that they recieved your request?

They were already processing my application when I emailed them my Naturalization certificate. It took week to receive email after online submission of form saying they have received and upgraded visa classification for my petition. 

3 minutes ago, panthera said:

They were already processing my application when I emailed them my Naturalization certificate. It took week to receive email after online submission of form saying they have received and upgraded visa classification for my petition. 

That’s really fast. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, panthera said:

Hey panthera, I just submitted my naturalization certificate today. According to what you said, it gonna take a week to upgrade the case. For you, did you call NVC to get the interview date after your case was upgraded?

2 hours ago, cybermax said:

Hey panthera, I just submitted my naturalization certificate today. According to what you said, it gonna take a week to upgrade the case. For you, did you call NVC to get the interview date after your case was upgraded?

Hi, 

No, but my situation was different. I was already on last step after waiting for many months.

Wait for their acknowledgement and then call them so they can start processing your application...means...will sent you immigration Visa Case number. So, you can access CEAC website, select agent and pay AOS/IV fee...etc.

7 minutes ago, panthera said:

Hi, 

No, but my situation was different. I was already on last step after waiting for many months.

Wait for their acknowledgement and then call them so they can start processing your application...means...will sent you immigration Visa Case number. So, you can access CEAC website, select agent and pay AOS/IV fee...etc.

My case is currently futher than that step. My case was already completed last month. Nothing to do now except waiting for the protity date become current on Visa bulletin. That’s why I need they upgrade the case so I don’t need to wait for that anymore.

If you didn’t call, how did you get the interview date? And how long did you wait after the case was upgraded?

Edited by cybermax

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

How long does it take to schedule interview after the upgrading of case? 

It depends on where you are in the progress. If NVC hasn't touched your case yet, so you need to wait 2 months for it to take effect. If NVC is processing your case, so yes, it takes only couple days, 2-5 business days to upgrade the visa categories.

Edited by cybermax

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Here's the scenario. I'm under f2a now, PD June 30'17, and my noa2 isn't arrived yet. My husband is applying for citizenship. He'll get it within a year as I read timelines. My question is that will the put my case in the end of piles? After upgrading the case. Or they'll issue the interview date? When u receive an email or confirmation that youre under cr-1 now, how long does It take after that? Whats the whole process after moving the case. Please help :) thanks for previous reply though bud

24 minutes ago, cybermax said:

It depends on where you are in the progress. If NVC hasn't touched your case yet, so you need to wait 2 months for it to take effect. If NVC is processing your case, so yes, it takes only couple days, 2-5 business days to upgrade the visa categories.

Edited by Sal11

1 hour ago, Sal11 said:

What happens after upgrading (by nvc) ?

After the upgrade:

1. If the case is completed > 1 week wait >  Interview will be scheduled (1-5 months).

2. If the case is not completed > 2 months wait > Case Upgraded > Submit documents to NVC > 11 weeks wait > Case completed >  Interview will be scheduled (1-5 months).

• 1 year later...

If the case has DQ date, applicant realize visa type assigned by NVC is incorrect.  I have following questions:

• Does anyone know how to get case upgraded from F2A to IR1?  
  • How much time it takes to upgrade the case from F2A to IR1?
  • After the case upgrade, does DQ date assigned remain same?   Or they will again ask for documents and do another DQ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 2/16/2018 at 8:22 PM, Sal11 said:

Here's the scenario. I'm under f2a now, PD June 30'17, and my noa2 isn't arrived yet. My husband is applying for citizenship. He'll get it within a year as I read timelines. My question is that will the put my case in the end of piles? After upgrading the case. Or they'll issue the interview date? When u receive an email or confirmation that youre under cr-1 now, how long does It take after that? Whats the whole process after moving the case. Please help :) thanks for previous reply though bud

Go Here:

I would strongly recommend you read all the pages and posts as information is spread out.

There are multiple stages

Lets assume you are still under F2A and case is still at USCIS or no NOA2

1. You will upgrade the case with USCIS. You can fax them.call them or chat.
    1. I did a chat, provided my case details and the naturalization certificate number and it was upgraded in 10 days and I got confirmation email for it
  2. It will NOT be transferred to any other Service center.
  3. The email you recieve will have a standard statement saying that the case will be adjugated in 5 months
    1. Now if you are in the USCIS system for quite a while, it may not take the full 5 months
    2. if you have been in the system for only some time, it may end up taking full 5 months
  4. You get approved or NOA2
  5. The case will go to NVC (4 weeks)
  6. You will get a welcome letter (another 4 weeks)
  7. You submit docs
  8. Your docs are accepted and DQ'd (6-8 weeks from when you submit docs)
  9. You are in line for interview (this depends on the consular and from city to city and country to country, check you respective country forums etc)

If you get your NOA2 and husband becomes citizen after wards.

1. Contact NVC from the link above, submit a copy and mention the nat cert no.
  2. Rest is same as from point 6 above. Timings may be a bit off depending on if you already have your WL or DQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.