wild@heart

Starting the K1 process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi friends,

I'm a 26-year-old Canadian (Toronto, ON) engaged to an American (from west TN, now living in Nashville). We've been together for nearly a year (February 11th is our anniversary) and are just head over heels for each other, he's my soulmate. We met on OKCupid (dating website) and clicked immediately. It was like that first conversation we had never stopped. But enough of me gushing about my fiance...

We're starting the K1 process and hoping to have me move down in a year's time. I hope that's a realistic timeline, but I'm not sure. We're trying to plan the wedding but it's hard when you don't know exact dates! We're thinking of using RapidVisa because of the high acceptance rate and payment plan, though I'm not 100% sure it'll be necessary.

We know basically everything about each other and have tons of evidence of a genuine relationship, so I'm not too too worried about that. However, I have one strike that may count against me, and that's that I'm a country songwriter who has always wanted to move to Nashville. My fiance was living in rural west TN when we met, but he wanted to move to a city, any city, so he ended up moving to Nashville because it made more sense for him to stay in Tennessee but also because that's where I ultimately want to be. Music doesn't pay the bills for me just yet, so my day job is as a manager in a call centre. When I get my AOS I plan to work part-time at a "day job" and work really hard at music. My fiance works at a call centre as well and makes decent money, and he'd be working full-time. I have some moderate health issues (from what I gather, nothing that would prevent me from entering the country) so we also want me to work part-time if it's financially feasible, for health reasons.

How likely is this to look fishy to the person looking over the application or doing the interview? Our relationship is 100% legit and we love each other very much, but I'm worried that the interviewer will get the wrong impression and think I'm just marrying him so I can move to Nashville for career reasons. How likely is this to happen? And is there anything I should say or not say in the interview to reduce my chances of getting rejected? (Obviously I'm going to be completely honest, but I'm wondering if there are better ways to phrase or explain things.)

You're worrying about something that's not going to happen. There will be no suspicion that you are using him just to get to Nashville. Especially since you have other visa paths that could get you there (P1, for example) if you really wanted that wouldn't involve the lifelong commitment of marriage. 

My husband is from Seattle. I was never asked if I listened to Nirvana and even showing up for the interview in a Nirvana t-shirt would not have caused any suspicion... Neither was I suspected of just wanting to work for Microsoft or Starbucks. 

Have you met in person? You didn't say if you had or not and I didn't want to assume. Focus on evidence of time spent together. That's all they are bothered about, not what work you plan to do when you get there. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
Just now, JFH said:

You're worrying about something that's not going to happen. There will be no suspicion that you are using him just to get to Nashville. Especially since you have other visa paths that could get you there (P1, for example) if you really wanted that wouldn't involve the lifelong commitment of marriage. 

My husband is from Seattle. I was never asked if I listened to Nirvana and even showing up for the interview in a Nirvana t-shirt would not have caused any suspicion... Neither was I suspected of just wanting to work for Microsoft or Starbucks. 

Have you met in person? You didn't say if you had or not and I didn't want to assume. Focus on evidence of time spent together. That's all they are bothered about, not what work you plan to do when you get there. 

That's a relief! Yeah, that makes sense but people get all kinds of crazy ideas. We've had three visits in the last year (a week in Nashville in June, him visiting me in Toronto for US Thanksgiving Weekend, and 12 days in Nashville when my company was shut down for the holidays), and I'm visiting again in February (my work is more flexible than his in terms of vacation days and the like.) So there's plenty of evidence of time spent together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

First of all, congrats on finding that special someone.  As far as your K1, a year is a good estimate for approval, but most will advise not to make any wedding plans involving money, etc., until you have your visa in hand.  As to being a song writer, I don’t think that will be an issue, just be honest when the time comes.  As to using RV, that is up to you.  Simple cases can generally be done by the couple saving the money of the service for the wedding and AOS, but that is your call.  Keep in mind, RV, or a lawyer are just there to fill out the forms and the couple still needs to do the lion’s share of the leg work.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Have you compared the CR1 and the K1? Your career aspirations arent an issue. However you can't work for about 4 months.  Rapid visa really is not worth your time or money. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

Have you compared the CR1 and the K1? Your career aspirations arent an issue. However you can't work for about 4 months.  Rapid visa really is not worth your time or money. 

This is something worth considering -- the CR1 process will take longer to complete, but once you are done, you can work immediately. It is also cheaper, overall, than the K1. 

The K1 will get you together in the US quicker, but there are additional steps and fees you have to pay AFTER you are together in the US. And you cannot work immediately. 

Timeline

I've looked into the CR1 process a bit, but we want to do the K1 for a number of reasons. It is quicker (even though you can't work for a while after), and it doesn't make much sense for us to have the wedding in Canada (that would mean that virtually none of his family would be there, my family is more well-off and already have passports so it would be less of a hassle for them to get down to the US). Also, there are more sentimental/abstract reasons (I'm itching to get out of Toronto, we don't want to be separated any longer than we have to be, etc.)

I'm actually thinking of using the period where I can't work as an opportunity to work hard at music without distractions. Of course, I would never take paid gigs at this point, nor would I be able to actually work on getting signed as a staff songwriter until my AOS goes through, but that doesn't bar me from writing, networking, playing at open mics and unpaid showcases, stuff like that. Now, of course, I'd want to err on the side of caution so nobody thinks I'm getting paid under the table, but as long as my fiance's job situation remains stable, I'm not too worried about having a few months where I can't work.

I wouldn't rule out the CR1 if we run into a bunch of roadblocks with the K1, but it's not my first choice.

Edited by wild@heart
Added end sentence

Unsure why you cant have a US wedding on a CR1? Lol

But either way it sounds like you've done your diligence on comparing the two so go with what's right for you as a couple!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.