slashdot

Petitioner’s marriage certificate

10 posts in this topic

I don't know how I overlooked this.

I have my CR1 interview at the UK embassy and thought I had gone through everything including this link 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

As well as what is requested in the document cover sheet but then I noticed these two items

Petitioner’s marriage termination record

I of course have mines but will they still require my wifes too?

Do I reallly need all her previous Marriage certifictes and terminations?  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

They will need them. If you can't get your hands on them, you can still go but they will hold off on processing the visa until those are submitted.  You *might* get lucky and if copies of those were submitted before they may not ask for the originals.  In mine and others I've seen here, they specify documents in automatic letters, but then don't want them. They asked for our original marriage certificate and my W2's in the letter, but then didn't want them. 

You should have prrvious divorce decrees.  Generally copies are fine for CR1/IR1. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I don't have the original marriage certificate from my wifes previous marriage and I'm pretty sure we didn't submit it but I'm going to check.

I can probably obtain photocopies of the divorce and possibly a photocopy of the previous marriage certificate of the most recent prior marriage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Take it from someone who is experiencing problems. You must have certified copies of marriage certificate, divorce decree. At this present time my husband has travelled to Sierra Leone to obtain a certified death certificate for his late wife. As stated they may not ask for it initially but trust me it will be needed later.

Thanks I have my original marriage and termination documents but not the petitioners.

I will try and get photocopies of the petitioners(My US wifes) most recent termination documents not sure she will have past marriage certificates but I think if she does then photocopies will do.

I would assume that if it was submitted for the I-130 a photocopy would be needed for my interview.

It just seems odd to ask for her marriage certificates from a previous marriage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
32 minutes ago, slashdot said:

Thanks I have my original marriage and termination documents but not the petitioners.

I will try and get photocopies of the petitioners(My US wifes) most recent termination documents not sure she will have past marriage certificates but I think if she does then photocopies will do.

I would assume that if it was submitted for the I-130 a photocopy would be needed for my interview.

It just seems odd to ask for her marriage certificates from a previous marriage.

When I filed for my husband I had to obtained certified divorce decree. My husband only had the hospital death record for his late wife. That is the problem we are facing now.  I'm just saying to possibly save you time and aggravation it's best to request the necessary court documents and have them on hand. We were denied because of this and now having to file an appeal. 

Yup, looks like a bit of an oversight, I think I focused too much on the checklist on the embassy page and on the checklist they sent out.

I did follow the links in the letter but found myself jumping around all over the place reading stuff I somehow overlooked this.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

If you are applying for an IR5 visa as the parent of a U.S. citizen or for an F4 visa as the brother or sister of a U.S. citizen:  You must obtain an original birth certificate for your petitioner, or a certified copy.

• Send a photocopy of your petitioner's birth certificate to NVC.
  • Bring the original petitioner’s birth certificate plus a photocopy to your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

If you are applying for an IR1, CR1, or F2A visa as the spouse of a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and your petitioning spouse was previously married:  You must obtain evidence of the termination of EVERY prior marriage your petitioning spouse has had. This evidence must be an original or certified copy of one of the following documents:  FINAL legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

• Send a photocopy of the petitioner’s marriage termination document(s) to NVC.
  • Bring the original petitioner’s termination document(s) plus a photocopy to your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Strangely though in the list for spouse, it asks for petitioners marriage certificate here but on the page for gathering supporting documents makes no mention of marriage certificates form prior marriages.

Edited by slashdot

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, slashdot said:

I don't know how I overlooked this.

I have my CR1 interview at the UK embassy and thought I had gone through everything including this link 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

As well as what is requested in the document cover sheet but then I noticed these two items

Petitioner’s marriage termination record

I of course have mines but will they still require my wifes too?

Do I reallly need all her previous Marriage certifictes and terminations?  

If applicable, yes.  On the other hand, the applicable petitioner documents you mention should have been submitted with the petition, so I wouldn't worry about it.  When a female petitioner has been married before, her prior marriage certificate is often needed to track name changes.  Once the petition is approved, those issues are generally behind you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks

It looks like I worried about nothing but you can never take anything for granted.

Despite everything listed here

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/appt letter_checklist for interview.pdf 

They never asked for a single photocopy to accompany any of the documents, just passport, birth certificate marriage certificate(Current marriage), Divorce decree, financial information (not my I-864 EZ), Police Certificate and Court Documents, photocopy of a U.S. passport

Things they didn't ask for:-

DS-260 confirmation page, or reciept, I-864 EZ, Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant.

I assume that whether or not something is requested or comes into play will depend on your individual circumstances.

For example if I hadn't seen my wife in a year then "Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant" would have come into play, if my wife had changed her name then previous marriage certificates and divorce decree's for her would have come in too as for the ds-260 and I-864EZ possibly if there was an issue electronically etc.

Also this was a CR1 after a K1 had been granted so I'd been through the system once, I just was unable to perform an AOS due to an illness in the family, so they probably had me fully on their radar.

However I think a change in one or two variables such as length of time since I saw my wife, name changes etc would have meant harsher scrutiny.

But thankfully it's over now.

8th of Feb I will enter the US and then in 21 months hopefully have my conditions removed :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.