Amhara

I-751 December 2017 Filers [merged threads]

2,436 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Amhara said:

This rule is applied to cases for those applying for a visa or GC after being in the US on a non-immigrant visa.  If you had a conditional GC while on Obamacare, then you are good.  Also, just because you were on Obamacare doesn’t mean you received government funds for the insurance premiums.  

I was on H1B Before getting my Conditional Green Card. I lost my job 6 months after getting my conditional green card and had to switch to Obama Care and get unemployment. Not sure if the new rule will apply to me. Also when I got a job and started working when we did our taxes we paid back in taxes for the subsidized health care we had while I wasn't working. Since my case is still pending I am worried that the new rules that I see in USCIS news alerts might apply to me and might cause problems.

Today USCIS called me to setup an Info Pass appointment to get a Stamp on my Passport. The Appointment is this Friday. I did try to ask the officer to give me more information about the case but she didn't she said her job is to only setup an infopass appointment and nothing else. She told me to talk to the Officer during my infopass appointment to get more information. I have a few questions to people who got their I-551 Stamp. 

1. Will you be asked to Surrender your Expired Green Card?

2. How long will the I 551 Stamp be valid for?

3. Can you ask the Officer to check the exact status of your case? Meaning is someone actually looking at all the supporting documents you sent and is making progress on your case. 

4. If you have filed N400 will the Officer be able to help you set up a combined interview in the future if your I-551 and N-400 are combined together avoiding confusion in the future where you pass your N-400 and your I-551 is still being processed. 

Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, samoak78 said:

Today USCIS called me to setup an Info Pass appointment to get a Stamp on my Passport. The Appointment is this Friday. I did try to ask the officer to give me more information about the case but she didn't she said her job is to only setup an infopass appointment and nothing else. She told me to talk to the Officer during my infopass appointment to get more information. I have a few questions to people who got their I-551 Stamp. 

3. Can you ask the Officer to check the exact status of your case? Meaning is someone actually looking at all the supporting documents you sent and is making progress on your case. 

4. If you have filed N400 will the Officer be able to help you set up a combined interview in the future if your I-551 and N-400 are combined together avoiding confusion in the future where you pass your N-400 and your I-551 is still being processed. 

I literally just went in for infopass today to get I-551 stamp as my 18month will expire next month. The officer that called to give me the appointment did not gimme any info on my case. See my answers below

Answer: They asked to see my green card, extension letter and foreign passport but my Green card was returned to me. I have read somewheres before where they take people's green card. I guess it's based different practices of individual field offices.

Answer: Its valid for 1 year. Mine that I got today is valid till 8/13/2020

Answer: I asked the officer but she had no information other than that it's still with Laguna Niguel and checked processing times on the uscis website.

Answer: I did not file for N400 but the officers at the info pass had no information regarding anyone's case I met today.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 8/14/2019 at 11:45 PM, addy&julie said:

I literally just went in for infopass today to get I-551 stamp as my 18month will expire next month. The officer that called to give me the appointment did not gimme any info on my case. See my answers below

Answer: They asked to see my green card, extension letter and foreign passport but my Green card was returned to me. I have read somewheres before where they take people's green card. I guess it's based different practices of individual field offices.

Answer: Its valid for 1 year. Mine that I got today is valid till 8/13/2020

Answer: I asked the officer but she had no information other than that it's still with Laguna Niguel and checked processing times on the uscis website.

Answer: I did not file for N400 but the officers at the info pass had no information regarding anyone's case I met today.

You are all set until 8/13/2020 and now the  waiting game and hope that your I-751 will  be approved soon.  Expired GC is of no use, since you have I-551 stamp and you need to use it now for travel abroad.  You might or might not have to go for a secondary inspection with I-551 stamp when you will get in.   IO office does not know more you know based on your online check and information in this board.  I have better luck to check this board than calling IO and I never called and did not ask any question when I went for my I-551 stamp. 

Edited by dilip

Got a I-551 Stamp today at USCIS San Francisco.  They had 12 or 13 counters and only 1 was open and active I waited for about 2 hours my appointment was at 9:45 AM. The USCIS officer seemed annoyed that I was there she grabbed my passport and the 18 month extension notice asked me to wait for 10 minutes and about 25 minutes later the automated system called my number and when I went to pick up my passport it was just lying there. I tried to talk to her and asked her if she could tell me more information about my case and her response was "Go online and check it." So now I have a I-551 Stamp until August 16th 2020. N400 Pending and that is my update Folks.

Timeline
23 hours ago, samoak78 said:

Got a I-551 Stamp today at USCIS San Francisco.  They had 12 or 13 counters and only 1 was open and active I waited for about 2 hours my appointment was at 9:45 AM. The USCIS officer seemed annoyed that I was there she grabbed my passport and the 18 month extension notice asked me to wait for 10 minutes and about 25 minutes later the automated system called my number and when I went to pick up my passport it was just lying there. I tried to talk to her and asked her if she could tell me more information about my case and her response was "Go online and check it." So now I have a I-551 Stamp until August 16th 2020. N400 Pending and that is my update Folks.

Hopefully, you will get your citizenship before August 2020

I know at least one person has contacted their US Representative, but have those that have had to get an I-551 stamp, have you also contacted your US Representative?  That’s an important step in tracking governmental inefficiencies.  Congressional inquiries and the USCIS ombudsman are the resources you need right now.  

It honestly sounds like the USCIS is missing a box of cases and don’t know how to respond.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, 

An update on my case: I submitted my ROC petition on Dec 22, 2017 at the CSC. There was no movement on my case other than the transfer to another office, which I'm not even sure ever happened, my case stayed with CSC. I applied for naturalization when I became eligible, in December 2018. In June 2019 I received an invitation to go to my N400 interview in Jacksonville FL, which happened on July 11. I emailed them to ask if it was going to be a combo interview, as my I751 hadn't gotten approved. They replied with a generic message that never actually answered my question. The interview ended up being a combo interview. I finally became a citizen yesterday, Aug 16, 2019, thus concluding my journey. 

I wanted to thank everyone here for all your posts. They helped me a LOT, from making me understand I was not the only one going through this, to getting advice from you guys or just reading about your experiences. I sincerely hope this will be over soon for everyone and wish you nothing but the best!! 

I check about 115 Cases in the Range WAC18087004XX to WAC18087005XX using the USCIS Case Status app by Stephen Aldous. I found about 10-12 cases in the range got moved to a different office I'm not sure which office exactly. Looks like CSC has more I-751 cases than it can handle and is offloading the cases to other field offices. I'm not sure if these cases that got moved will get approved or will just get dragged on longer. Please update if your case got moved again in August 2019 and mention the field office to where it moved. Thanks!

15 hours ago, aionescu said:

Hello everyone, 

An update on my case: I submitted my ROC petition on Dec 22, 2017 at the CSC. There was no movement on my case other than the transfer to another office, which I'm not even sure ever happened, my case stayed with CSC. I applied for naturalization when I became eligible, in December 2018. In June 2019 I received an invitation to go to my N400 interview in Jacksonville FL, which happened on July 11. I emailed them to ask if it was going to be a combo interview, as my I751 hadn't gotten approved. They replied with a generic message that never actually answered my question. The interview ended up being a combo interview. I finally became a citizen yesterday, Aug 16, 2019, thus concluding my journey. 

I wanted to thank everyone here for all your posts. They helped me a LOT, from making me understand I was not the only one going through this, to getting advice from you guys or just reading about your experiences. I sincerely hope this will be over soon for everyone and wish you nothing but the best!! 

congratulations.

13 hours ago, samoak78 said:

I check about 115 Cases in the Range WAC18087004XX to WAC18087005XX using the USCIS Case Status app by Stephen Aldous. I found about 10-12 cases in the range got moved to a different office I'm not sure which office exactly. Looks like CSC has more I-751 cases than it can handle and is offloading the cases to other field offices. I'm not sure if these cases that got moved will get approved or will just get dragged on longer. Please update if your case got moved again in August 2019 and mention the field office to where it moved. Thanks!

I noticed the same. hopefully that means things are going to start moving.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, samoak78 said:

Mine was moved on 8/16. 

Went to the field office to get a stamp this morning and it was pretty seamless but IO got me all excited when she pulled up my information on the computer and said "Looks like your Card is being produced", my eyes lit up immediately. I didn't say anything bc she was doing stuff on the computer and didn't want to interrupt, she steps away to put the stamp on my passport and when she returned, I  followed up on her comment about the possibility of my document being produced, however she told me she was "looking at the old card" - omg, lol. The wait continues.

Timeline
On 8/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, aionescu said:

Hello everyone, 

Congratulations.  Just apply the passport and also passport card ( will be handy to keep in your wallet for prove of citizenship ) and you will be done.  Also update social security

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.