4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello, 

I recently got married here and I am filling out the form I-130 for an alien relative.  My question is where should I send the documents if I'm not in the US and there is no USCIS office in Chile?

Also, what is the most efficient process to get my wife into the States? She is currently 9 weeks pregnant and we are hoping to have the baby born back in my home state of California.

Thank you very much

Sincerely
Ricky&Rous

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You need to file the I-130 form and send it to the US. Remember that you have to have US domicile (residence) prior to returning, and if you do not meet the income criteria, you will need to get a co-sponsor. 

The process is currently taking 12-14 months. So unless she was able to get an entry to the country to have birth (this is not illegal - but costs $20K-$30K for the birth likely) then she would not have the baby in the US. 

You cannot expedite a petition due to pregnancy. 

If you are concerned about citizenship, your baby will be a US citizen if you file paperwork, as you are the father. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
3 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

You need to file the I-130 form and send it to the US. Remember that you have to have US domicile (residence) prior to returning, and if you do not meet the income criteria, you will need to get a co-sponsor. 

The process is currently taking 12-14 months. So unless she was able to get an entry to the country to have birth (this is not illegal - but costs $20K-$30K for the birth likely) then she would not have the baby in the US. 

You cannot expedite a petition due to pregnancy. 

If you are concerned about citizenship, your baby will be a US citizen if you file paperwork, as you are the father. 

Thanks for your quick answer.

• 1 year later...

I got married to my hubby (Chileno) in September 2017. Immediately after applied for i130. My hubby has his interview last week, exactly 14 months after applying for i130. Most likely, the baby will be born in Chile. It will be a long journey. Hang tight! Good luck! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.