Lina91x

How soon can you re-enter USA from Canada

10 posts in this topic

Wasn’t really sure where to post this, so I apologize if it’s in the wrong forum. I was wondering  about re-entry to USA from Canada after 29 day stay. I am a canadian citizen with friends in california. I went to visit them intending to stay 2 months (had a return ticket) but was told by CBP that I would only be given 30 days as I didn’t have “strong ties”, I was a bit confused by this because if my intent was to stay and live illegally, whether or not I had strong ties, granting me any amount of days would have given me the opportunity to do so.  I of course obeyed this and returned to Canada within 29 days. Now, it’s been about a week back here in canada, and in another week and a half it is one of the California friends birthdays, I wanted to go to surprise them, as everyone was really bummed that I couldn’t stay long enough to attend, but I don’t want to risk being turned away at the border for trying to re enter so soon. This trip,  if I book it would only be for about 10 days. Does this seem like it would be a problem or should I wait til closer to Christmas to visit again?

*~*~*moved from "off-topic" to "tourist visas"*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It depends on the officer. No one can say for sure. Bring ties from Canada that show you have a job, apartment, school ect...surprised you got scrutinized on a first ticket. If it was your first time, u got unlucky. Most people I know had no pr9hlem visiting the first few times on long visits with no ties back home. 

Also, be prepared for them to go through your phone and laptop/fb. Just an fyi. 

10 minutes ago, caliliving said:

It depends on the officer. No one can say for sure. Bring ties from Canada that show you have a job, apartment, school ect...surprised you got scrutinized on a first ticket. If it was your first time, u got unlucky. Most people I know had no pr9hlem visiting the first few times on long visits with no ties back home. 

Also, be prepared for them to go through your phone and laptop/fb. Just an fyi. 

Do you know what ties i could possibly show if i live with parents and am currently unemployed and not attending school? I take care of my grandmother doing her grocery shopping / laundry / cleaning and perscription pick ups, and my parents pay me for this. How would I prove to cbp that im expected to be back to resume those duties..

The only other things i can think of are

-I have a Canadian bank account

-I have a dog

-my best friend of 19 years is due to give birth in Jan and I am the god mother so naturally i am expected to be there.

-I have a consult for an OHIP covered plastic surgery procedure which would obviously require me being back in Canada if i wanted the costs of my surgery covered.. 

would any of those be good enough

Timeline
Just now, Lina91x said:

Do you know what ties i could possibly show if i live with parents and am currently unemployed and not attending school? I take care of my grandmother doing her grocery shopping / laundry / cleaning and perscription pick ups, and my parents pay me for this. How would I prove to cbp that im expected to be back to resume those duties..

-I have a dog

-my best friend of 19 years is due to give birth in Jan and I am the god mother so naturally i am expected to be there.

-I have a consult for an OHIP covered plastic surgery procedure which would obviously require me being back in Canada if i wanted the costs of my surgery covered.. 

Then you have non. Good luck! It is up to the officer at POE. 

No one cares your best friend is giving birth, no offence and they won't cate you are caring for someone. 

Just good luck. Try again when you can...also how can u afford a trip when you have nowhere to live? 

Worst case scenario, they make u withdraw your application and you just have to wait a year to have stronger ties. 

Was this the first time you visited? I haven't seen a Canadian get questioned on a first visit to the usa

Just now, caliliving said:

No one cares your best friend is giving birth, no offence and they won't cate you are caring for someone. 

Just good luck. Try again when you can...also how can u afford a trip when you have nowhere to live? 

Worst case scenario, they make u withdraw your application and you just have to wait a year to have stronger ties. 

Was this the first time you visited? I haven't seen a Canadian get questioned on a first visit to the usa

I live for free with family and my parents pay me to be my grandmothers primary care taker as opposed to hiring a stranger i guess.. but because i dont have to pay rent i save my money to travel.

the last and only other time i visited longer than a couple of hours (i do make day trips to buffalo sometimes to shop with friends) was in 2013, i was going to florida to spend the month of June with a boyfriend visiting his family. Again i was told i have to be back in 30 days because i dont have strong enough ties. Both times i was told i needed to be back i made sure to return with time to spare. I dont mind if they tell me I can only stay the 10 days on this upcoming trip (since posting the question i did book the tickets) im just worried they may flat out deny me, and if they do does that mean im not allowed to attempt to travel back for awhile?

Timeline

Us a they can deny yiu...they will make u withdraw your application. I assume you are flying through Toronto? You do performance there or if you cross the border same.

Good luck! Just have your information. Good. Chance they will bring you into secondary since it is so soon after. Keep us posted on your results:)

2 hours ago, Lina91x said:

-I have a dog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Lina91x said:

-I have a dog

Bank account:  a very small tie

Dog:  not a tie

Being a future Godmother:  not a tie

Plastic surgery consult:  not a tie.

Grandmother caregiver:  not a tie.

Currently living with your parents, currently unemployed, and currently not a student will work against you as well.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Honestly you have no ties.  You just left after a shortened stay.  I suggest staying in Canada until you have at least a job or schooling. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

They will also be thinking ‘If you are the person who takes care of your grandmother how can you spend so long away from her?’ 

That is to say she can be looked after by someone else for

such a long time why do you need to go back

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.