Matildawr

Supporting Documents for B2

11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My father (Swedish nationality and will travel on ESTA, Visa waiver program) and his partner who lives with him in Sweden wants to come visit me in the US, where I am studying at a University on an F-1 Visa. She is of Thai nationality and is a Thai citizen, she does there fore not qualify for the visa waiver program and needs to apply for a B2 visa. They will visit for 12 days. I helped them complete the DS-160 and stated the intended travel date and length of stay in the application.

I have heard a lot that she needs to show ties to home country or the country where she lives. She lives in Sweden, legally, where she goes to school to study the language. She lives with my father but does not work at the moment, and my father will finance the trip to come visit me completely. What are some suggestion of documents she can bring to her visa interview to show strong ties to Sweden, where she lives, and Thailand, which is the country she holds citizenship in.

She is my fathers girlfriend, and she lives with him. She is registered on the same address as him in Sweden. She has a sister who lives in Sweden as well with her children, and her own children (who are now adults) lives in Thailand. She also bought a house in Thailand since she spends summers there. She goes to school in Sweden to study swedish and learn the language, she does not work as of right now. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What documents does she have that shows strong ties to Sweden?

Why not take them all?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Boiler said:

What documents does she have that shows strong ties to Sweden?

Why not take them all?

I am asking for advice on WHAT documents she could bring since I do not know what documents would be appropriate that could show strong ties. I am asking for advice from people who might have been through this process before. I have never had to show supporting documents to show strong ties to a country myself since I am on a student visa. 

I want to know suggestions of types of documents she could bring so that I can let my father and her know what she needs to gather for her interview. 

Timeline

Well you need to tell us what documents she has, can not be that many. Pretty sure nobody on here knows her.

Seems easier to take them all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well you need to tell us what documents she has, can not be that many. Pretty sure nobody on here knows her.

Seems easier to take them all.

How hard is it to understand that I do NOT know what documents she has, since I am not her. I am simply asking for suggestions of common documents that one can bring to a visa interview to show ties. 

For example "she can bring documents to show that she owns a property if she has a property".

I have never been through this process and want common, general information that can help her during her interview.

Timeline

Why not ask her what documents she has?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Why not ask her what documents she has?

Really, that's your advice? I don't understand what you are even trying to accomplish with your comments because you have absolutely no solid advice.

Obviously she does not have a folder of documents that she can bring to an interview for a US visa when she has never applied for one before and she does not know what documents she can bring, hence why I am asking for advice. This is a new process for me, my dad and her. 

I am asking so that they can work on getting documents that she could bring, such as a letter of admission or something from a school and so on. Documents she does not HAVE but could get if she request it in time.

Unless you have any actual advice I suggest you stop commenting because you do not offer any valuable information at all.

Timeline

You are getting the cart before the horse.

I would also refer you to the VJ ToS, asking others not to post is a clear breach, my Bible should be yours.

She should provide documents to show proof of her ties to Sweden or her country. I only counted two ties; her house in Thailand and her school in Sweden. Adult children and siblings do not count as a tie as they can fend for themselves. Also, she  is not married to your father so that is not a strong tie to Sweden.

She can bring documents to show home ownership and her enrollment in school. But whose to say that shows enough ties.

BTW, you can't tell a poster not to post. It is actually against this site's TOC.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline

It's against the TOS to tell someone not to post.  Best to just ignore posts you do not find constructive.  [Sorry to appear to be beating a dead horse---was typing my response when two I t b er p I stern told you this already.]

You will likely not get any responses with a list of documents. Each person's situation is completely different, so that's a hard question to answer. More importantly, there are no specific documents that will qualify someone for a visa. Documents all over the world are easily produced whether they are truthful or not.  Consular officers, therefore, frequently do not even look at any additional documents. The best advice is to be sure that she fills out the DS-160 completely and accurately, and respond truthfully and completely to all of the questions at the interview.  If it makes her feel better to have something with her, she could take her school records, bank account records, the registration document you mentioned, her Swedish visa information, etc.  But, they likely will not be looked at.

Edited by jan22

Timeline

I never said the person CAN't post, I just suggested they shouldn't if they don't have any valuable information to bring to the conversation. 

I understand that there is not list of what will grant her a visa, i was just asking for suggestion of documents that could maybe be helpful. 

So to ask a follow up question, could these types of documents be helpful to bring, or absolutely not:

proof of home ownership in Thailand (I have no clue if we can get this translate to english in such short time or if there is an english copy of it)

proof of enrollment in school in sweden with a date that she needs to be back by

letter from, and signed by my father stating that he is fully financially responsible for her during their intended stay and a letter from me stating that I invite her along with my father to visit me.

pictures of them together to show that they are in a serious relationship with no intention to stay in the us, but go back to their life in sweden as soon as the 12 days they will stay is over.

migration documents that shows her status in Sweden and her residence in sweden.

I have heard that documents you bring might not be looked at, but I feel like it might not hurt the interview at all?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.