MaRob

Cultural Dishes You Don't Think You will Ever Get Used To

50 posts in this topic

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
When I was in Africa, I thought I could never get used to eating any of the stuff down there, but I loved the things my fiance family served, never turned one dish down. However, I never eaten bush meat. I always wondered what type of meat it was. Anyway, I could never eat goat meat or anything wild like that. sorry. Thankfully, my fiance always made sure goat meat wasn't on the menu.:no:

Goat can be really good if prepared properly. Just had it Monday.

I still don't think I can eat goat comfortably. I wouldn't care if goat was braised with a gourmet sauce. I just wouldn't be able to get past that dreaded acquired tasted.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline
:blink: Well I surely can not eat fish heads, fufu or fish soup. :mellow: lol..lol

"

LADY VICTOR

"

"If I live to please anyone other than Christ..Am I truly living?"

.png

Til my journey to Lagos, Nigeria

Filed: Other Timeline
:blink: Well I surely can not eat fish heads, fufu or fish soup. :mellow: lol..lol

I know exactly what you mean. I can't stand fish at all let alone fish soup???Omigoodness! :blink: Fufu smells really bad. I don't think I can get with that. I'm glad my fiance doesn't like it because I will not have to cook it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I haven't had fufu yet. :unsure: But I agree with the fishy stuff. I OCCASIONALLY eat some tuna fish. And I will eat fish in Hawaii (there is one called Ono) but it has to have been caught that morning. BUT NO FISH HEADS, and as a general rule, no fish in soup. blech!!

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

That could definitely be it--you've gotta try it with 'sauce gumbo" - okra sauce. I'll admit, it looks a little like snot, but tastes delicious. Fufu really isn't bad with any other sauces, but you're right, anything with eru tastes bad!!!

This post made me hungry. I first traveled to Ghana when I was 17 and lived with a family there. I fell in love with the food...so flavorable and spicy. Shito, Banku, Kenkey, wakye, contomere greens, kelewele, gari, all the soups - groundnut, okru, palmnut oh my goodness its so good. Fufu is ok, not my foavorite but I'll eat it. Fufu and ugali are very different...fufu is pounded cassava and plaintain, ugali is corn flour cooked to a stiff porridge, which is also eaten in west africa but usually they make it more flavorful by adding fermented cassava flour. Im not a fan of fish heads and I dont eat meat but I dont think I would like goat or any kind of organs, even if I did. East African food is good, but I think I like West African better.

K-1 - VSC

Aug 2005 -- 1st trip, We meet, become friends; Jan 2006 -- start dating

April 2006 -- 2nd trip, We get engaged; Sept-Nov 2006 -- 3rd trip, More time together

Feb 8, 2007 -- Mailed 129-F package to VSC

Feb 13 -- NOA1!

Feb 19 -- Touched

Feb 20 -- check cashed! NOA1 arrives snail mail!

Feb 22 -- Touched

Mar 8 -- NOA2 email!

Mar 12 -- NVC recieves

Mar 15 -- NVC sends out

Mar. 26 -- Packet 3!

Apr 17 -- Medical

Apr 24 -- Interview, Approved!

Apr 27 -- Picked up passport

May 4 -- POE JFK

May 19-- Apply for SS#

Jul 13 -- Married!

Jul 24 -- Sent out AOS/EAD paperwork

End of Aug -- NOA for EAD and AOS

Sept 6 -- Biometrics

Sep 21 -- Email that AOS app was transfered to CSC

Sept 24 -- Email that EAD is on its way

Oct 10 -- EAD card recvd

Nov 10 -- Email that AOS APPROVED!!!!! (no interview)

Nov 16 -- Green card arrives in mail

http://fiancevisatz.blogspot.com/

"Love always finds its way home"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Bush meat is anything you find in the bush: rabbit, squirrels, etc. There is one particular large rat - called the grasscutter - that is most likely the one everyone is referring to. I've had it, and it wasn't too bad. It tasted kinda like goat meat to me.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This post made me hungry. I first traveled to Ghana when I was 17 and lived with a family there. I fell in love with the food...so flavorable and spicy. Shito, Banku, Kenkey, wakye, contomere greens, kelewele, gari, all the soups - groundnut, okru, palmnut oh my goodness its so good. Fufu is ok, not my foavorite but I'll eat it. Fufu and ugali are very different...fufu is pounded cassava and plaintain, ugali is corn flour cooked to a stiff porridge, which is also eaten in west africa but usually they make it more flavorful by adding fermented cassava flour. Im not a fan of fish heads and I dont eat meat but I dont think I would like goat or any kind of organs, even if I did. East African food is good, but I think I like West African better.

i too LOVE West African food! i'm from the Caribbean so much of our food is similar to/based on African dishes. so if its meatless bring it on, Ghanaian, Nigerian, Gambian, Senegalese soups, stews, jollof rice, fufu, conomere, kenkey, plantain, gari, wackye, fried yam, boiled yam....all this week, i've been craving banku, pepper and fish! i love eating with my hands and sharing the same dish as my beloved. and my Ghanaian crew/family is always so pleasantly surprised with how enthusiastically and comfortably i dig in at mealtime!! i've been known to gain a few pounds with every visit actually!! i must say however i had an interesting experience pretending to eat a not so lovely snail soup offered by a lovely hostess, lol. but overall, i think its a wonderful and important way to really get to know a place, a people, the language and a culture by eating the traditional dishes with folks everyday. i've also shared in some of the cooking too. these days, food culture has also become a way for mylove and i to bond over the distance, i always i ask him "baby, what did you eat today?" and he's like "oh your favorite---fish and banku!" or "i'm about to get some wackye from such and such place, remember that spot?" or "the lady who sells roast fish on the main road was asking about you." (L) and of course we've already discussed that he's to bring as much Fante kenkey and black pepper as he can carry when he gets that visa!

peace and smiling fish-heads to all!

I eat this food alittle but I'm not 100% used to it.....its call Kitfo.....basically beef tartare......rare ground beef and very popular in Ethiopia. The first time I tasted and I said, "Are you sure this is cooked." My husband said, "yes, its cooked." But when I looked at it and tasted it it just seemed like raw meat to me. Later I realized it REALLY was rare ground beef.

Lord the foods we eat for love and relationships.

Sonya

Fufu... and how he likes to eat the WHOLE chicken, fish, whatever.... :o (although not as bad as some I have seen in Cameroon)

6/2004 - Met Ethiopia (I was there on business). Spent two days together.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

01/22/06 - Mailed in I-129F

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

3/24/06 - K-3 application approved - mailed to NVC

3/29/06 - Recvd I-797 NOA 2 via mail (less than 60 days)

4/06 - Recv'd letter from NVC

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/16/06 - DHL arrives in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

5/23/06 - Submits his visa application. ITS APPROVED!!!!!!

5/24/06 - Picks up his passport and visa envelope.

6/26/06 - Arrives in the US!!!!

EAD

7/22/06 - Mailed EAD form

8/24/06 - NOA arrives in the mail

9/7/06 - Biometrics Appointment

10/03/06 - Work Authorization Card Arrives!!!

10/4/06 - Applied for SSN

10/17/06 - SSN Arrives in the Mail!!

11/21/06 - First Day at Work.

• 2 months later...

PUSIT.............dried squid ! ewwww! :blink::blink::unsure::blink::help:

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.