jons_wifey

Getting married in the Philippines 2019!

37 posts in this topic

Where do I start with obtaining the "legal capacity contract" - can I go to the Philippine embassy in LA? If so, do I need to book an appointment or can I just 'walk-in'

Both myself and fiance are divorcees.

Is there an EXPIRATION to the contract OR the marriage license - I'm guessing the marriage license is only obtainable in the Philippines?

Is this the correct form for the legal capacity contract?

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/APPLICATION-FOR-MARRIAGE-LICENSE.pdf

17 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

Where do I start with obtaining the "legal capacity contract" - can I go to the Philippine consulate in LA? If so, do I need to book an appointment or can I just 'walk-in'. Surely its not just from the US embassy in the Philippines to get this from??

17 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

Is there an EXPIRATION to the contract OR the marriage license - I'm guessing the marriage license is only obtainable in the Philippines?

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/APPLICATION-FOR-MARRIAGE-LICENSE.pdf

25 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

Where do I start with obtaining the "legal capacity contract" - can I go to the Philippine embassy in LA? If so, do I need to book an appointment or can I just 'walk-in'

The USC can only get that from the US embassy in Manila.  If you are going to get married in 2019 then you have a long time to wait to so to do that. 

1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

The USC can only get that from the US embassy in Manila.  If you are going to get married in 2019 then you have a long time to wait to so to do that. 

so the only way to get that document is in Philippines????

so a trip to go there get that sorted then another trip to actually get married?

I won't be able to go there ONCE to get the document THEN to get married that same month?

3 hours ago, jons_wifey said:

Any American wishing to marry in the Philippines is REQUIRED to obtain the “Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry” per the Philippine Family Code.  These can be obtained from ether the US Embassy in Manila or the US Consulate in Cebu City.  On the same note, all Filipinos wishing to obtain a marriage license are REQUIRED to obtain a CENOMAR from the NSO.

In late 2011 the US Embassy learned that the local registrars in Makati City, Quezon City and Davao had refused to accept the “Affidavit...” and required a CENOMAR from the foreign applicant instead:  The US Embassy issued an announcement with the recommendation that any American applicant for a marriage license learn first hand from their Local Registrar just what they will require as they plan for their marriages.  Wise advice regardless of where you apply for a marriage license.   The act of obtaining a CENOMAR is straight forward, just like applying for a copy of a birth certificate.  Persons, Filipino and foreigner alike, who have marriages recorded by the NSO must submit a certified copy of their divorce decree and apply for a "RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN JUDGMENT” from a Regional Trial Court and in turn have it submitted it to the NSO for recording before they can expect to obtain a CENOMAR.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, jons_wifey said:

That form may work, but I would gather you need to make an appearance at the Philippine consulate .. lot easy to do this at the embassy in Manila.

Are you British or just haven't updated your "flag"?    Not sure what the UK consulate here in the Philippines does regarding legal capacity to marry

Here is the link to USEM for the appointment to get the letter:  https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/?_ga=2.233521175.820783771.1507171716-1822561796.1505266023

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, jons_wifey said:

so the only way to get that document is in Philippines????

so a trip to go there get that sorted then another trip to actually get married?

I won't be able to go there ONCE to get the document THEN to get married that same month?

Yes you can complete everything in one trip.  Just schedule things accordingly.    After being issued the marriage license there is a waiting period also.   You will need careful planning to get everything done quickly.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

10 hours ago, Hank_ said:

That form may work, but I would gather you need to make an appearance at the Philippine consulate .. lot easy to do this at the embassy in Manila.

Are you British or just haven't updated your "flag"?    Not sure what the UK consulate here in the Philippines does regarding legal capacity to marry

Here is the link to USEM for the appointment to get the letter:  https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/?_ga=2.233521175.820783771.1507171716-1822561796.1505266023

I am british. living in USA (naturlised US Citizen), fiance is american.

Yeh I checked that link

wouldn't this document suffice?

https://www.apostille.us/Documents/single_status_affidavit.shtml

What I am trying to avoid is 2 trips, 1 to go to manila or cebu to get that document then return to USA then go back to get marriage license to marry.

10 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Yes you can complete everything in one trip.  Just schedule things accordingly.    After being issued the marriage license there is a waiting period also.   You will need careful planning to get everything done quickly.

what is the waiting period? to GET the marriage license or to MARRY after getting the marriage license?

Timeline
40 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

I am british. living in USA (naturlised US Citizen), fiance is american.

Yeh I checked that link

wouldn't this document suffice?

https://www.apostille.us/Documents/single_status_affidavit.shtml

What I am trying to avoid is 2 trips, 1 to go to manila or cebu to get that document then return to USA then go back to get marriage license to marry.

what is the waiting period? to GET the marriage license or to MARRY after getting the marriage license?

I don't think the local government would know what to do with that consulate form, they would be expecting the document from the embassy (except for Makati, Quezon City & Davao)

Read this page  https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

I don't know of any that needed to make two trips to get married.   Waiting period is 10 business days.    How much long can you stay in the Phils?       

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I don't think the local government would know what to do with that consulate form, they would be expecting the document from the embassy (except for Makati, Quezon City & Davao)

Read this page  https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

I don't know of any that needed to make two trips to get married.   Waiting period is 10 business days.    How much long can you stay in the Phils?       

hank that form is to be used in the US to get an apostille/certificate to state I am free to marry. Wondering if I can use that to get a marriage license in Phils. 

If I were to do it how everyone else has been doing it, I would be in phils for 2-3 weeks from the time I go to embassy to get the contractual form, then get the license, then you say i have to wait 10 days?!!?!? after getting the license. Money is time and time is money.

and again, that means to book my plane ticket to get married in 2019 will depend on their booking system at the embassy.

is it dependent on the province to issue the marriage license? - I am looking at Sulvec/Narvacan Ilocos Sur.

• Single Status Affidavit is also called

"Single Status Statutory Declaration" or a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or a "Single Status Certificate"or "Free-to-marry statement".

per https://www.apostille.us/Documents/single_status_affidavit.shtml

Timeline
33 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

hank that form is to be used in the US to get an apostille/certificate to state I am free to marry. Wondering if I can use that to get a marriage license in Phils. 

If I were to do it how everyone else has been doing it, I would be in phils for 2-3 weeks from the time I go to embassy to get the contractual form, then get the license, then you say i have to wait 10 days?!!?!? after getting the license. Money is time and time is money.

I know of no one that has used that document from the consulate to secure a certificate to marry.   Everyone I have ever read of have gotten the document from the embassy.

I did the K-1 fiancee visa route  so the only info I have of getting married in the Phils are from those that shared this on here.   I have friends that got married in the Phils, but never asked them any details on the marriage, I just helped them with the DCF process for the visa.

10 minutes ago, jons_wifey said:

If I get a marriage license in MANILA, can i marry anywhere in the Phils? or can I only get married in Manila???

The marriage license is issued by the local registry, can't be used just anywhere.     If you are getting married in a smaller city, your fiancee may be able to get things started before you arrive.. just saying ;) 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.